You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-03 09:04:11

darkbeanies

[solved] pacman overwriting my configuration file?

Hello, normally when pacman updates a package, it checks whether you've edited files belonging to that package and creates .pacsave/.pacnew files as necessary.  However, every time I update udisks, my custom /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy file just mysteriously reverts back to the default, "everything is banned" configuration.

Any suggestions as to why pacman doesn't continue to use my configuration file?  Or at least, make a backup of it?  Should I just make the file read-only?

Last edited by darkbeanies (2011-05-03 10:13:02)

#2 2011-05-03 09:09:35

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: [solved] pacman overwriting my configuration file?

"pacman -Qii udisks" shows:

Backup Files:
(none)

So pacman is not being told to backup that file.   If that is a configuration file that should be backed up, then file a bug report asking for it to be done  (I have no idea if that is the correct place to configure that stuff so can not comment).

#3 2011-05-03 09:16:45

darkbeanies

Hmm.  For some reason, I doubt that this file is the correct place to configure disk mounting permissions.  It is easy and works perfectly, however.  Do you really think I've found a bug?  I wouldn't want to report it and look stupid...

#4 2011-05-03 09:23:00

SanskritFritz
Website

UPDATE: removed my possibly arrogant remark.

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2011-05-03 09:24:10)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#5 2011-05-03 09:27:51

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

darkbeanies wrote:

Hmm.  For some reason, I doubt that this file is the correct place to configure disk mounting permissions.  It is easy and works perfectly, however.  Do you really think I've found a bug?  I wouldn't want to report it and look stupid...

/usr/share/* is not normally the place to configure this, most software should read (and prefer) user-settings from /etc/something-or-other

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2011-05-03 09:27:52

darkbeanies

SanskritFritz wrote:

UPDATE: removed my possibly arrogant remark.

Thanks for that, appreciate it.

Okay, now I see it is not a bug, but my own stupidity, as I suspected...I'll try and find an equivalent config file in /etc somewhere.

Solved!  You need to make a file in /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d called anything.pkla

I put this in:

[Storage Permissions]
Identity=unix-group:storage
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount;org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal;org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-unmount-others;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-eject;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-detach;org.freedesktop.udisks.luks-unlock;org.freedesktop.udisks.inhibit-polling;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-set-spindown
ResultAny=yes
ResultActive=yes
ResultInactive=no

Works good, KDE (dolphin)  currently needs additional steps to work properly with fat/ntfs partitions:

cp /proc/filesystems /etc

then edit /etc/filesystems and add vfat and ntfs to the list

Last edited by darkbeanies (2011-05-03 10:12:01)

Board footer