You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-11 19:30:24

mikehershey

Left click stops working randomly in gnome w/ compiz

When I'm using my computer I will seemly randomly not be able to left click anywhere on screen (right click, button 3 etc all work just not left click). I cannot figure out how to replicate this bug, it will work fine and all of a sudden I am unable to left click anywhere. I tried alt+left click and every other combination like that but none of those work. I have also tried the built in laptop touchpad + 3 external mouses, each one at a time to see if the same thing would happen. For all the mice i test I was still unable to left click some time after logging into gdm. Currently I resolve the issue by flipping to tty1 and restarting gdm. I am using gnome 2.30.2, with compiz and emerald. I'm trying to find some sort of log or test I can do to try and determine what is causing this error and get on the path to fixing it. Thanks.

EDIT:
This did not always happen it started a few days ago. The only changes I made to my system were compiling Xspim, installing teamviewer from AUR, and possibly changing compiz settings (not sure about that tho). Also this is a 64 bit system.

Last edited by mikehershey (2010-10-11 19:44:58)

#2 2010-10-12 17:21:57

youplease

Re: Left click stops working randomly in gnome w/ compiz

This happens to me sometimes. I have 64bit arch on my laptop and use a usb mouse. Sometimes left click stops working; there is nothing in logs and I don't know what's causing it.

I used to restart gnome to resolve the issue, but recently I found out that left button on the touchpad continue working and after I click it the mouse starts working too.

EDIT: I don't use compiz, I use metacity with compositing.

Last edited by youplease (2010-10-12 17:44:44)

#3 2010-10-12 19:21:59

mikehershey

Thanks for the reply. I've tried the touchpad click when the mouse click stops working, but it doesn't work either. I've also just switched back to metacity and had the same issue, it happens on average once an hour for me (could be 5 minutes to 3 hours). I guess now I'll install kde or openbox instead of gnome, if the issue still exists I'll know its something in X.

UGH it just happened right now while editing this post. I can for sure confirm the touchpad left click button and the rapid tab click dont work. Right click and mouse wheel do still work tho, its only left click that gets this problem.

EDIT: I'VE JUST SOLVED THE ISSUE. Its something in gnomes mouse keys. I have mouse keys enabled and clicking 5 on the num pad just clicked and then allowed me to use the mouse again. I'll just disable mouse keys and hopefully good to go smile

ctrl shift numlock is default keypress to toggle sticky keys incase anyone else is having a similar issue.

Last edited by mikehershey (2010-10-12 19:27:43)

#4 2010-12-28 19:19:43

BuddhaTorneira

I have the same problem here. But In a different system. Mine is a KDE 4.5 in an Opensuse 11.3 in VMware workstation 7.1.3.
The mouse works prefect outside of the vmware virtual machine.   
Thus, discarding the source of the problem from Gnome, archlinux, or hardware.
I'm using the mikehershey method of "ctrl shift numlock" + 5 to temporarily fix the problem.
I hope someone can find the exact cause to fix this, and post it here!!

#5 2011-05-07 00:10:15

amadar
Banned

I have this problem all the time on my HP TouchSmart laptop. Left click randomly stops working, but I'm not sure why. It doesn't happen during every session, just sometimes. In this case, touching the touchscreen fixed the issue.

Board footer