You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-07 21:20:37

yeah, whatever

[SOLVED]yes, i'm a complete noob...but what does a DE actually do?

hi everyone

sooner or later i will migrate to linux, therefore right now i'm testing arch in a virtual machine
i've tried a couple of DEs and WMs but i'm quite uncertain what a DE actually does
i have the impression that it's just a bundle of software (some of them are quite bloated...why do the two major ones ship with that much stuff?)
besides "real" applications (like file manager, pdf-viewer, music-player,...) and widgets, there is allways a panel and often a GUI for system-tweaking, so you don't have to mess around in config files with a text editor...but is there more to it (i'm aware that when using a DE that all the shipped programms have the same visual style, this is definitely a plus, but not a big one...)? is there anything that can't be accomplished (or as easily) by installing only a WM and additionally docks/panels/launchers/whatever...

i'd really appreciate it, if someone could shed some light on this.
thx

Last edited by yeah, whatever (2011-05-10 10:05:09)

#2 2011-05-07 21:51:30

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]yes, i'm a complete noob...but what does a DE actually do?

Yup, a DE is a collection of software which composes your desktop; usually a window manager, file manager, theming system, wall paper and desktop icons (usually handled by the file manager), a dock or panels, etc. Some DEs let you use third party components in place of their own (e.g. xmonad instead of Metacity). A DE is designed to look like a coherent whole providing a complete GUI user experience.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2011-05-07 22:19:56

sand_man

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Not much else to say.

neutral

#4 2011-05-08 05:08:51

siriusb

#5 2011-05-10 10:03:39

yeah, whatever

i read both wiki articles before creating this thread, i just wanted to be sure that i haven`t overlooked something

anyway, thanks for your answers!

Board footer