You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-05 14:28:57

jlrp5

the use of forbidden characters such as the colon ":" in package names

Hi, I've been using Arch Linux for the past 4 years and never looked back.  A newlly discovered irritant for me now is I cannot download certain packages for my workplace computer (which has no internet connection) due to the fact that some packages used colons  ":" in their filenames.  Is there any reason how this was allowed?  Let me enumerate a few examples:
rasqal-1:0.9.21-1
redland-1:1.0.12-1
redland-storage-virtuoso-1:1.0.12-1
ntrack-1:13-1
lirc-utils-1:0.9.0-2

why the bending of the rules for these particular packages?

thanks in advance for your replies.  I hope it is a typographical error on the part of the packagers.

there is order in chaos...

#2 2011-05-05 14:36:32

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: the use of forbidden characters such as the colon ":" in package names

that number before : is called epoch  and is the old force option but improved. man PKGBUILD and see epoch.

i don't think your download problem is related to this.

Last edited by wonder (2011-05-05 14:38:34)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2011-05-05 14:49:02

jlrp5

thanks for the speedy reply.  I meant i could not download it manually using Firefox from the mirror servers, nor could I transfer the files in my var/cache/pacman/pkg directory to my thumb drive due to the naming violation.  I googled unix filename forbidden characters, and it comes up listed on Wikipedia as forbidden character.  Pacman downloads it fine, it's just that I would have to rename the file manually, and replace the colon with a ".".

#4 2011-05-05 15:06:29

wonder
Developer
Website

works fine for me from firefox and with wget. maybe the windows version doesn't treat it well and renames it

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2011-05-05 15:22:32

hbekel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename says:

"Unix-like systems are an exception, as the only control character forbidden in file names is the null character, as that is the end-of-string indicator in C. Trivially, Unix also excludes the path separator / from appearing in filenames."

The colon is formally reserved in URIs and should be url-encoded using "%3A", but firefox doesn't seem to mind if a verbatim colon appears in a URI, e.g. this link should work without problems in firefox:

http://ftp.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de/mirr … pkg.tar.xz

The problem might be that your thumbdrive is formatted using ntfs or fat, where it would make sense to disallow colons.

#6 2011-05-05 15:29:06

jlrp5

thanks for your replies.  Hbekel, yes, i am using a FAT32 thumbdrive (aren't most of them FAT anyway?) to transport the files to and from the office, and tried saving the files directly to the thumbdrive.  I figured the people managing the official Arch Linux packages would try avoiding using colons in their package filenames, for compatibility reasons.  It's only those packages I listed earlier that used the colon.  Like I said, a minor irritant.  I use Arch Linux, but the rest of the world, unfortunately, doesn't.

#7 2011-05-05 16:34:56

ewaller
Administrator

IMHO, importing packages using a USB drive formatted with FAT/NTFS file systems is a perfectly valid use case.  Might I suggest you create a bug report against pacman?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2011-05-05 19:28:43

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

ewaller wrote:

IMHO, importing packages using a USB drive formatted with FAT/NTFS file systems is a perfectly valid use case.  Might I suggest you create a bug report against pacman?

And I do that often as well. Just not since the epoch transition, so I didn't catch this one. Do file a bug report.

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#9 2011-05-06 15:45:37

jlrp5

thanks guys smile

#10 2011-05-14 09:40:25

stryder

Couldn't find any related bug report so I filed one: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24270. I find that samba shares, share folders in virtualbox also cannot have these file names.

Board footer