You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-19 17:16:23

Mazh

new installed program from AUR

Hello,

I'm a bit new to linux, so please be soft. But I'd like to know how can I know where are going the "executable" from the AUR installed programs. I use packers, but most of them aren't appearing in my KDE menu. I've checked in my user/bin but they aren't even there.

Where can I find them, and make an icon in my KDE menu if possible or desktop. Also, how do I know if this is graphic or command, do I have to guess myself or there is a man file somewhere. I use run command and type the package name, but nothing really starts.

best regards, maz

#2 2011-05-19 17:21:56

SS4

Re: new installed program from AUR

pacman -Ql <name> | grep /usr/bin

it will tell you where the executable is stored

Rauchen verboten

#3 2011-05-19 17:33:17

hauzer
Website

Most of the programs' executables are stored in /usr/bin, but essentials are in /bin or /sbin. To read about a program, use manpages (man program); you'll find out about it's binaries there. Some programs don't have manpages, so you can try to locate it with whereis program or ask pacman to tell you where are all the files a package installed (pacman -Ql program). Most programs don't provide a desktop link (shortcut), so you'll have to create one yourself, either from scratch or by copying and modifying one of the available. Check out this wiki page for information. All valuable utilities are command line based, so you'll need to familiarize yourself with the terminal.
If by "packers" you mean yaourt or such, they are command line and there would be no purpose in providing a menu link.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

#4 2011-05-19 18:46:58

mcmillan

SS4 wrote:
pacman -Ql <name> | grep /usr/bin

it will tell you where the executable is stored

That will work for most packages, though some end up in other places, I would just use grep bin since even if something is in a weird directory chances are bin will be involved in some way.

Also if you haven't logged out and logged back in I don't think KDE updates it menu (not sure though since I so rarely use a menu)

#5 2011-05-19 20:29:44

Stebalien
Website

This will look for files in any directory listed in your PATH:

pacman -Ql <name> | awk 'BEGIN{ path = ENVIRON["PATH"]; gsub(/:/, "|", path); path = "^(" path ")"; } ($2 ~ path) {print $2}

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Board footer