You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-24 16:39:30

Starfall
Website

Power management & media keys Compiz standalone

Hello everyone smile

Just made the full time switch to Arch a week or so ago, have to say it's the best Linux experience I've had! Loving it!

So I've got it set up using Compiz as a standalone WM with tint2 for navigation. I was curious if anyone could suggest a decent power manager?
I mainly need this to actually be able to tell my system to shutdown/reboot, right now I've just been using the shell to compensate. I have the gnome-settings-daemon running for gtk management if that opens up more options for me smile It'd also be handy perhaps having the ability to manage my session, I've been using pkill and it's getting a bit tedious...

Also, I use the Apple aluminium keyboard with my system which has playback keys (back, play/pause,forward) and volume keys. Right now the only means I have of managing my system's audio output is to use alsamixer, which is somewhat cumbersome. As the gnome-settings-daemon is running, I get the HUD to notify me of the volume change, so I just need some way of managing my volume conveniently. I thought I might be able to do this with the 'commands' module in compiz, but couldn't find any command to suit my needs.

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated!

*!EDIT!* : Okay I figured out the media keys myself. Whilst I looked for a suitable media player for my music, I stumbled upon sonata, once installed one of it's optional installs was 'dbus-python', which I already had on my system, it's comment stated something along the lines of 'function for media keys', so I added it 'dbus-python' to my xinitrc and it worked! big_smile

Chuffed with this, but, I'd still appreciate some advice on a power/session manager smile

Last edited by Starfall (2011-05-24 21:09:31)

Visit my blog and my DeviatArt page

#2 2011-05-24 22:57:56

patrickthebold

Re: Power management & media keys Compiz standalone

have you looked at xbindkeys ?

#3 2011-05-25 06:17:48

Starfall
Website

Re: Power management & media keys Compiz standalone

Thanks for the reply patrickthebold, I haven't tried that. soon as I'm home from work I'll give it a shot, though I'm not sure what commands I could bind to simulate track back, play/pause, track forward. Hopefully nothing a bit of Google can't solve

Visit my blog and my DeviatArt page

Board footer