You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-29 12:03:36

Google
Website

(SOLVED) What is bash doing back there?

I am trying to figure out what is going on after boot. I realize witch each terminal I open I get a new process, "-bash." I can understand bash being loaded once like it is at the bottom of the screen, but why are there multiple -bashs being loaded with each new terminal I open?

I am using urxvt-unicode-patched.

A picture that may help understand which processes I have loaded:

One terminal open: http://ompldr.org/vOHU3ag

Three open: http://ompldr.org/vOHU3bA

As you can see there are multiple bashs and urxvts open. I get it-- I use multiple urxvts but shouldn't bash be loaded once and shared?

Thanks--

Last edited by Google (2011-05-29 12:07:46)

#2 2011-05-29 12:06:30

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: (SOLVED) What is bash doing back there?

No, bash isn't shared. Each terminal opens a new instance.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-05-29 12:07:29

Google
Website

Re: (SOLVED) What is bash doing back there?

Hmm, for some reason I always thought it was shared. Thanks!

edit:

If you see anything odd I should look into let me know-- I am trying to make sense of all the processes. Part of my journey to understanding Linux. There's a whole lot of stuff to take in. I am still unsure if my install is all correct.

Last edited by Google (2011-05-29 12:08:42)

Board footer