You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-28 15:46:22

NictraSavios
Website

[Solved] Debian Packaging/Repository

Hello. I have tried arch in the past, and LOVED it, but I had to leave for that which is unnecessary to explain. So lets get on with the matter at hand. I will be the repository manager for bAdGigabit (Hopefully, In a few months when we get going with it.). A manly iDevice centric community. We maintain a Repository for Cydia, The alternative to the App Store. A Place where you can modify your iPhone, outside the scope of an "App". (Google "barrel 2", "iconoclasm", "initsua", "bAdGB"). Cydia, is infact a front end for the APT front end to Dpkg. Thus, we have to have a Debian style Repository. To manage and Build it, I require the Debian and iphone-os Tool Chains. iphone-os Tool chain resides on the Iphone itself, no need to port it. As for the Debian Repository Tool Chain, That is a must. To be able to build deb's, manage deb's and keep the repository up to date on a daily, if not hourly, basis.

Infact I have a daily cron job set to search a directory on my computer, look for any .deb's and add them to the repository. This directory is also in the same directory my Dropbox folder, and allows me to update it from school if need be be "cp ~/Dropbox ~/Repo" (Not the actual command, just a stand in)

Now with this information in your grasp, let me ask the obvious question that you all know is comming. Is there a way to do this on Arch. To have the entire debian packaging system at my disposal, or am I stuck with Linux Mint (UGH).

Finnaly, failing that, Is there an Arch Linux-Like distribution that is based on Debian/Ubuntu available?

Last edited by NictraSavios (2011-05-29 18:04:44)

#2 2011-05-28 16:22:53

yungtrizzle

Re: [Solved] Debian Packaging/Repository

You could but you would have to build all the necessary packages from their sources. It's probably better (and safer) if you just run debian or a debian-based distro in a virtual machine.

#3 2011-05-28 16:30:26

NictraSavios
Website

I ran Gentoo for a while, I tend to build everything from source anyway, Building from source it routine for me. As for the Virtual machine, I find them very slow, and trying to run that Cron job would be very tricky. The script itself would need sleep times, Be bug filled, and subject to the crashes and whims of a Virtualbox.

Also, I only have 2GB of RAM. I do not like the idea of sharing that and killing performance.

Last edited by NictraSavios (2011-05-28 16:30:53)

#4 2011-05-28 23:58:09

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

I would +1 the VM option if you really wish to return to Arch. You're guaranteed a 'clean' environment, rather than deb-hacked-onto-Arch with may have unknown bugs.

You don't have to use VirtualBox. Xen can run a paravirtualized guest at near native performance. Your limitation would be your RAM, but an instance of Debian without a GUI should be able to run fine with 256 or even 128mb RAM, at the expense of slowing down your compile times inside the guest.

#5 2011-05-29 01:55:07

NictraSavios
Website

Hmm.... Id rather avoid a VM if at all possible. Is there perchance a AUR package?

Last edited by NictraSavios (2011-05-29 01:55:18)

#6 2011-05-29 02:11:47

RetroX

I haven't tested it personally, but yes: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=14640

#7 2011-05-29 04:41:06

fukawi2
Ex-Administratorino
Website

NictraSavios wrote:

Is there perchance a AUR package?

A search will tell you faster than waiting for us to reply.
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?K=dpkg

#8 2011-05-29 18:02:50

NictraSavios
Website

Sorry, I know I should have searched first. I sometimes forget this is a forum and not an IRC channel. Thank you, I will keep a dual boot with Debian incase they fail, since the entire repo is backed up to a local repo on an external harddrive, aswell as online, there should be no issues. Thank you.

#9 2011-05-29 18:04:28

NictraSavios
Website

Ah sorry, I had forgetten about Fink. you see, This system Tri-boots with Windows 7 and OSX, Fink on OSX will allow me to manage the repo big_smile, I will promptly mark this as solved.

Board footer