You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-09 09:24:00

Installing Brother Printer DCP115C / MFC210C problems [SOLVED]

Setting up my Brother DCP115C using MFC210C files from Brother site and the wiki

Followed wiki instructions but had similar problems to others, that is, CUPS seems to recognise the printer, but will not print anything. Messages about 'processing since....' and /var/log/cups/cupsd.log showing variable information about connected (or not connected) printers.

Looking at localhost:631 I noticed it was saying my printer was connected at usb:/dev/usb/lp0 but there is no 'folder' /dev/usb on my system
When installing as per the wiki I did a modprobe -r usblp before connecting the printer. However, from what I can tell, it is usblp that makes CUPS think that the printer is connected via /dev/usb/lp0 so perhaps usblp was somehow still 'active' on my system.

The solution to get the printer working was, after following the wiki (and a reboot), to delete the printer from localhost:631 and tell CUPS to find new printer on page http://localhost:631/admin
This time CUPS reports the printer as being connected as 'local printer' rather than on /dev/usb/lp0

I would suggest that anyone following the wiki article does a reboot after blacklisting usblp, and before connecting the printer

Note: blacklisting modules is no longer done in /etc/rc.conf with MODULES=(!lsusb ) but instead add a line to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf to  blacklist usblp

# /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf (for v2.6 kernels)
blacklist nv 
blacklist floppy 
blacklist fd0 
blacklist net-pf-10 
blacklist snd_pcsp 
blacklist pcspkr 
blacklist usblp

Board footer