You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-12 01:39:31

Allamgir

Abiword .rtf Default Font?

I just installed Abiword and, to my delight, noticed that this beautiful program now supports both opentype fonts and ligatures! I thought I had finally found the perfect word processing app for linux until I encountered the "Print dialog crash" error. I set off to the wiki to solve this problem using these directions: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Abi … alog_crash.

The only problem is, now my default font is Arial. I hate Arial. It's a long story, but I just don't like it. I would much prefer to use Minion Pro or Linux Libertine as my default font in Abiword because of their excellent craftsmanship and the opentype features I've missed on Linux for so long. I used my previously tried-and-tested method of creating a new document with my favorite font in use, then saving it as an Abiword Template "normal.awt" in ~/.AbiSuite/templates.

Now, because the new save format is rtf, I was instructed to save "normal.awt" as an rtf file, but with an ".awt" extension. The default font trick won't work with rtf files for some reason, which is bad. I've been googling around and the only results I've seen come up are from a couple years back and are now depreciated/obsolete.

So I ask, has anyone found a workaround or other method to set one's own default font?

дɭɭɑӎɠїɾ

#2 2009-07-12 02:59:08

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Abiword .rtf Default Font?

mkdir -p ~/.AbiSuite/templates

Open Abiword

File-->New Using Template-->normal.awt

Change to Garamond Premier Pro-->Save

When the GTK file thing comes up, save the file as normal.awt in .AbiSuite/templates. You'll get a message about the wring file type, press Yes. Done... I think.

#3 2009-07-12 13:09:41

Allamgir

Nope, that didn't work. I followed all your steps and the default font is still Arial.

When opening the real normal.awt (the system-wide one) the default font is Minion Pro because I changed the .awt file (but the print dialog causes a crash), but when I try to save a .rtf as .awt in ~/.AbiSuite/templates, the font is not saved and Arial is used instead.

дɭɭɑӎɠїɾ

#4 2009-07-12 16:25:27

skottish
Forum Fellow

That's strange. I don't usually use AbiWord, but I was able to successfully change the default font twice following the instructions above with the version from the repos.

#5 2009-07-12 19:49:28

Allamgir

Isn't there another file or something I could just edit to change the default font?

дɭɭɑӎɠїɾ

#6 2011-06-10 22:17:24

Mr. Swillis

Here you go: http://www.deadcrow.org/tech/how-to-cha … iword.html

This totally did the trick for me. I had found another post mentioning trying to create a user specific normal.awt template, but it didn't work for me. Updating the global files in /usr/share/abiword* totally worked though.

- Swill

And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.

Board footer