You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-09 08:08:35

TwiNight

[SOLVED] What should I do with the old rc.conf file?

Well, as all of you know, the rc.conf file has been changed. I understood all the changes by reviewing the 'rc.conf.pacnew' file.

So what should I do with the old 'rc.conf', simplt delete it and change name of 'rc.conf.pacnew' to 'rc.conf'? Or keep it as it is - surely no harm done.

The new rc.conf doesn't impact me in any way. That's why I am asking this question.

Sorry if this question seems like a stupid one. But I have to know.

Last edited by TwiNight (2011-06-11 06:16:41)

#2 2011-06-09 08:12:35

archman-cro
Website

Re: [SOLVED] What should I do with the old rc.conf file?

No, make the necessary changes to your old rc.conf, but according to the new one. In example, if you had any (!module1) stuff in MODULES array, remove those and add "blacklist module1" to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf. Also, consult the arch news on the front page.

#3 2011-06-09 13:05:15

TwiNight

archman-cro wrote:

No, make the necessary changes to your old rc.conf, but according to the new one. In example, if you had any (!module1) stuff in MODULES array, remove those and add "blacklist module1" to /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf. Also, consult the arch news on the front page.

I had not made any changes to the "MODULES" section in the old file - since I do not require it. Just added 'dbus' to DAEMON section, that's all.

I do have one doubt, after reading the news regarding this matter - how the removal of module autoloading  i.e. MOD_AUTOLOAD is going to affect the system? I don't have specified any modules to be loaded at boot time.

#4 2011-06-11 06:16:04

TwiNight

I did as suggested. No problem (not expected either) so far.

Board footer