You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-24 18:49:12

rafaleo

Using a usb install on machines with different video cards.

Hi, I have arch installed on a usb memory stick, I use arch on two different kind of computers, one has nvidia cards and I use the nouveau driver which works perfectly for me. But I also like to use arch on some machines that have intel cards. I have found a way to do this but it is very cumbersome, so I'm trying to figure a better way.
When I use the nvidia machines I make my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d look like this:

]$ ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
10-evdev.conf   10-synaptics.conf  30-intel.conf
10-quirks.conf  20-nouveau.conf 

But this configuration doesn't work when I use the intel machines, so I have to change the name of the file 30-intel.conf to 20-intel.conf and then it works perfectly. I have tried to prefix both of the files with a 20 but then the nvidia machines complain. I don't recall the exact error I X gives, but it goes something like "no screens found".
I would like a way to use both machines without having to change the name of any file.

Many thanks.

#2 2011-06-24 20:18:46

eldragon

Re: Using a usb install on machines with different video cards.

setup a rc script that will detect display adapter and act accordingly?

#3 2011-06-25 19:28:36

rafaleo

And how would you do something like that?  I would really prefer to have a way of telling X something that makes it use the appropiate file. Thanks anyway!

#4 2011-06-25 20:07:20

Gusar

The best option is recompiling X with a patch that makes nouveau the default. Then you need no conf files that handle graphics, X will automatically choose intel, nouveau or radeon. The patch: http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewv … iew=markup

Board footer