You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-04 17:22:25

aliasbody
Website

Unity, Gnome3 and libgl

Hi everyone,
To start sorry for my bad English.

I've been a Ubuntu user for a long time but the lack of updates, and the "speed" problem that is making ubuntu much resources angry on each version, makes that Ubuntu becomes a no so good choice for my small laptops (Netbooks with Atom).

So one day I found arch Linux, and then i just start loving it. Now I use it in my Desktop with Gnome3 (it's perfect). I've tried to use it on my laptop but I have a few problems with it and that's the all point of this thread.

All the Problems :
   - I have an Nvidia Optimus GPU... so no 3D for me with the Nvidia unless using Bumblebee (ok with some tweak it works).. Problem : with the nvidia disabled on Ubuntu I got 4:45h of battery... but with the same conditions on Arch Linux i got 3:30h (the same when my nvidia is power on... but when I power it down I'm 100% sure that it is totally power off... just by look at the temperature, with the Nvidia always on my laptop becomes quickly very hot).

- Unity. I love Gnome3 and their new interface (I'm using it on my desktop and It's just perfect)... but on my laptop, with no Nvidia, just and Intel... it's horrible to use, it's slow and buggy.

- Nvidia Optimus (Yes Again)... There is no way in Arch linux to have 2 drivers installed at the same time... (you maybe know the problem with the libgl conflict story), And I don't really want to have drivers downloaded manually just because of a (kind of stupid) conflict between nvidia libgl and intel libgl.

Solutions :
    - As a new developer and (not so) old Linux user (start in 2004), I have found many solutions to solve my problem but not for this one's :S...

So My questions are :
    - Is there a way to make force the 2 drivers to be installed  without any conflict ?
    - Is there a way I can compile Unity to my Arch Linux desktop ? (I know that is possible (the AUR version is old and not functional) but I really don't know how to do this with Arch I've read a lot of tutorials and wiki pages about in the Arch Wiki but there is no simple example with a recompilation of a simple deb software :S)...
    - Can the problem with the battery be connected with Gnome 3 and not the Bumblebee/acpi_call Nvidia Shutdown function ?

PS : Once again sorry for my very bad English.
Thanks in Advance for all,
Luis Da Costa

#2 2011-07-04 18:24:41

karol
Archivist

Re: Unity, Gnome3 and libgl

Try reading https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee There were also some forum threads how to get both drivers https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 00#p951700

https://github.com/Samsagax/bumblebee
The nVidia card WILL be draining battery unless the two scripts:
/usr/local/bin/bumblebee-enablecard and /usr/local/bin/bumblebee-disablecard
are configured correctly

Last edited by karol (2011-07-04 18:49:07)

#3 2011-07-07 21:08:19

aliasbody
Website

Re: Unity, Gnome3 and libgl

Hi thanks for the answer (only see it now :S)...

Do you know about any way to make Gnome3 to run better with the Intel 3500 of my 1215N ? Since when I try to run it with optirun I got a beautiful colored lego XD

and about the battery draining, the bumblebee-enablecard and bumblebee-disablecard aren't just acpi_call scripts ? I've been using them for a long time with the "./asus1215n off" that make my arch consumption drop from 1700 mA to 1300 mA but the battery difference between Arch and Ubuntu is still 1h30 :S

Thanks in Advance ^^

Board footer