You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-07 02:28:57

cirnOS
Member
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 107

[SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

Hey guys. I have a thinkpad x120e with the amd e-350 apu. I installed this driver: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-d … x86_64.run and was having issues to get xorg to play nicely. So I installed the xf86-video-ati but I think I may need to remove the catalyst driver? My xorg.conf is messed up as well as the xorg error says it cannot find the fglrx driver.

from lspci i get: Ati technologies Inc Device 9802

Last edited by cirnOS (2011-07-08 00:31:40)

Offline

#2 2011-07-07 04:08:38

cirnOS
Member
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 107

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

I saw this upon taking another look: In order to use the open source driver you must have at least kernel 2.6.38.

with uname -a says I'm using 2.6.34 so I'm assuming I need to use the catalyst

Offline

#3 2011-07-07 04:11:47

lifeafter2am
Member
From: .........
Registered: 2009-06-10
Posts: 1,325
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

Is there a specific reason you haven't updated your kernel to the latest version?


#binarii @ irc.binarii.wtf
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

Offline

#4 2011-07-07 04:19:20

cirnOS
Member
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 107

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

lifeafter2am wrote:

Is there a specific reason you haven't updated your kernel to the latest version?

I updated my system with -Syu but no kernel upgrade for me. Do I need to unlock the testing repo?

Offline

#5 2011-07-07 04:25:13

lifeafter2am
Member
From: .........
Registered: 2009-06-10
Posts: 1,325
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

cirnOS wrote:
lifeafter2am wrote:

Is there a specific reason you haven't updated your kernel to the latest version?

I updated my system with -Syu but no kernel upgrade for me. Do I need to unlock the testing repo?

Both my 64bit and 32bit systems are on 2.6.39, sounds like your mirror is out of date.

http://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/


#binarii @ irc.binarii.wtf
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

Offline

#6 2011-07-07 04:26:48

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 12,975

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

cirnOS wrote:

Well I have done a pacman -Syu but I guess it did not update my kernel. I'm reuniting with arch so its taking me some time to re adjust.

You reported the thread to the moderators, but I bet you had meant to hit reply.  Happens more often than you can imagine.


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Like you, I have no idea what you are doing, but I am pretty sure it is wrong...Jasonwryan
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#7 2011-07-07 04:28:40

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 12,975

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

cirnOS wrote:

Oh touche. Let me try that out then. Should I stick with catalyst or go with the xf86?

I think you hit that report button again tongue


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Like you, I have no idea what you are doing, but I am pretty sure it is wrong...Jasonwryan
----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#8 2011-07-07 04:32:45

cirnOS
Member
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 107

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

lifeafter2am wrote:
cirnOS wrote:
lifeafter2am wrote:

Is there a specific reason you haven't updated your kernel to the latest version?

I updated my system with -Syu but no kernel upgrade for me. Do I need to unlock the testing repo?

Both my 64bit and 32bit systems are on 2.6.39, sounds like your mirror is out of date.

http://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/


Wow. Already updated seems so fast with these updated mirrorlist's I got. There are a bunch of updates so I'll post back after this is done. Thanks


ewaller wrote:
cirnOS wrote:

Oh touche. Let me try that out then. Should I stick with catalyst or go with the xf86?

I think you hit that report button again tongue


Ah thats what happened. My bad. I look even more like a novice now sad

Offline

#9 2011-07-07 05:06:38

cirnOS
Member
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 107

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

Well now Arch sees my wlan0 but upon trying to startx I just see the black screen. Not sure where to start whether it be the catalyst or xf86-video-ati

Last edited by cirnOS (2011-07-07 06:55:05)

Offline

#10 2011-07-07 07:47:14

Cdh
Member
Registered: 2009-02-03
Posts: 1,098

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

cirnOS wrote:

It's discouraged to not use the package managing system since this driver is free to overwrite and alter any files without you knowing.

I don't have much experience with that but that should remove the stuff fglrx has installed:

./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall

Since it might delete arbitrary files from the graphics drivers infrastructure you better reinstall some packages...

pacman -S libgl mesa xf86-video-ati ati-dri libdrm

You normally don't need a xorg.conf for the open source driver. Just delete it.

KMS should be activated I think: Does your console change to the native resolution of your screen on booting?

Lastly, the radeon driver should be loaded and fglrx should really be removed, so

lsmod | grep radeon

should show something, but

lsmod | grep fglrx

should not.

If you like to try the proprietary catalyst/fglrx again, I recommend the repository here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ca … repository
It allows clean installation and removal.

Your graphics is rather new. Maybe it doesn't work with the current open source driver in the repositories right now and you need either catalyst/fglrx or development versions of xf86-video-ati and the kernel and mesa.

Last edited by Cdh (2011-07-07 07:48:31)


฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

Offline

#11 2011-07-07 09:24:25

lukaszan
Member
Registered: 2011-05-05
Posts: 117

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

If I remember correctly you can run

aticonfig --uninstall

or similar.

Some logs remain in /etc/ati folder.

Offline

#12 2011-07-07 16:07:32

cirnOS
Member
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 107

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

Cdh wrote:
cirnOS wrote:

It's discouraged to not use the package managing system since this driver is free to overwrite and alter any files without you knowing.

I don't have much experience with that but that should remove the stuff fglrx has installed:

./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall

Since it might delete arbitrary files from the graphics drivers infrastructure you better reinstall some packages...

pacman -S libgl mesa xf86-video-ati ati-dri libdrm

You normally don't need a xorg.conf for the open source driver. Just delete it.

KMS should be activated I think: Does your console change to the native resolution of your screen on booting?

Lastly, the radeon driver should be loaded and fglrx should really be removed, so

lsmod | grep radeon

should show something, but

lsmod | grep fglrx

should not.

If you like to try the proprietary catalyst/fglrx again, I recommend the repository here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ca … repository
It allows clean installation and removal.

Your graphics is rather new. Maybe it doesn't work with the current open source driver in the repositories right now and you need either catalyst/fglrx or development versions of xf86-video-ati and the kernel and mesa.


Yeah I changed the frame buffer to 1024x768, I did notice when I updated the kernel with newer repos the two arch logos up top do not show up. Not sure if that is anything important to note down. I'm try this now.

Also I followed this guide to setup KMS: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ati

Same thing still with trying to startx and I did remove the proprietary driver. When I grep radeon and fglrx I get no results.

Last edited by cirnOS (2011-07-07 16:26:27)

Offline

#13 2011-07-07 16:44:23

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

@cirnOS: Can you, please, describe how you managed to remove all the stuff that was installed with the *.run installer from ATI, maybe?

Offline

#14 2011-07-07 16:53:34

cirnOS
Member
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 107

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

archman-cro wrote:

@cirnOS: Can you, please, describe how you managed to remove all the stuff that was installed with the *.run installer from ATI, maybe?

The driver was on a flash drive. I cd to my flash drive and ran  ./ati-driver-installer-11-6-x86.x86_64.run --uninstall

Offline

#15 2011-07-07 16:58:59

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

I get "Uninstaller for ATI Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver, /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh, does not exist or cannot be found." when trying that.

Offline

#16 2011-07-07 23:19:46

cirnOS
Member
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 107

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

OK I got KMS to work just fine but I am running into an issue installing awesome from the AUR. It says missing dependency cairo-xcb but I installed this package. http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=40641

update: I installed openbox and I can successfully launch it no problems. I suppose my only issue here now is not being able to install awesome.

Last edited by cirnOS (2011-07-07 23:25:45)

Offline

#17 2011-07-08 00:01:56

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,428

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

awesome is also available as a binary from a couple unofficial user repositories https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … positories
archlinuxfr awesome 3.4.10-1
archstuff awesome-git 20101018-1
rfad awesome-git 20090423-1

Offline

#18 2011-07-08 00:10:43

cirnOS
Member
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 107

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

karol wrote:

awesome is also available as a binary from a couple unofficial user repositories https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Un … positories
archlinuxfr awesome 3.4.10-1
archstuff awesome-git 20101018-1
rfad awesome-git 20090423-1

I realized what I forgot to do. I didn't pacman  -U the cairo package. Im working on installing awesome now as I speak. My mistake, but hey I'm re-learning all of this smile For the xf86 driver is there a utility to manage the screen resolution? My highest res is 1366x768 and I want ot make sure it is automatically set to that when I startx

Offline

#19 2011-07-08 00:12:52

karol
Archivist
Registered: 2009-05-06
Posts: 25,428

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

You can 'makepkg -si PKGBUILD' to build and install.

'xrandr' is an app you might want to try for the resolution issues.

Offline

#20 2011-07-08 00:31:28

cirnOS
Member
Registered: 2010-03-01
Posts: 107

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

karol wrote:

You can 'makepkg -si PKGBUILD' to build and install.

'xrandr' is an app you might want to try for the resolution issues.

OK. Thanks I got it now.

Offline

#21 2011-07-08 02:57:41

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op
From: The intertubes
Registered: 2004-11-07
Posts: 3,727

Re: [SOLVED]Trying to remove AMD catalyst driver

karol wrote:

You can 'makepkg -si PKGBUILD' to build and install.

'xrandr' is an app you might want to try for the resolution issues.

Drop the 'PKGBUILD' part of that command, it does nothing and is not needed. See the man page for details.


Evil #archlinux@freenode channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB