You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-20 23:14:21

trusktr
Banned
Website

How do I detect if a new PS/2 mouse is plugged in?

If I remove my PS/2 mouse, then plug it back in, it no longer works.

How do I make the computer refresh and re-detect the mouse without rebooting?

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#2 2011-07-20 23:22:45

lagagnon
Website

Re: How do I detect if a new PS/2 mouse is plugged in?

Hotplugging and/or udev cannot, as far as I know, redetect PS/2 mice, but they will do it if it is a USB mouse. However, there might be a solution for you on the last post of the thread below, but I have not tried it:
https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/vi … c_id=21481

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-07-20 23:23:25

SS4

dmesg ?

Rauchen verboten

#4 2011-07-21 00:57:44

trusktr
Banned
Website

@lagagnon Thanks for the link, but it doesn't seem to show how to detect PS/2 devices on a live system while it is on (if that is even possible). After all, my PS/2 mouse works, so there doesn't seem any need for me to edit those settings. The mouse works if it is plugged into the computer before I turn it on. If I boot the computer then plug the mouse PS/2 mouse in once I've reached the desktop, then in that scenario is when the PS/2 mouse isn't recognized. I wonder if it is possible to recognize PS/2 in real time like with USB devices?! I wasn't able to find anything useful in Google yet.

@SS4 I don't see anything in dmesg but here it is:
http://pastie.org/2245974

#5 2011-07-21 01:55:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

As far as I know, it is not possible. It never used to be possible in Windows (not sure about right now though) back in the day.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2011-07-21 03:21:06

trusktr
Banned
Website

I just read on Wikipedia that the PS/2 protocol does not include hotplugging, so some hardware may allow it, and some won't. Hot plugging on hardware that doesn't support it can put you at risk of short circuiting the PS/2 port microcontroller. So I guess the answer is no.

Last edited by trusktr (2011-07-21 03:23:01)

Board footer