You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-28 18:54:29

tawalker
Website

Volume umounter tray icon that's not from GNOME or KDE?

First post :-)

I have been a Linux user since 2003, but am new to Arch. I wanted a Linux for my Asus Eee 701SD netbook (the "original" one with 7" screen and 8Gb SSD), and Arch looked like it would let me build a system tailored to a low-powered netbook. So far, so good :-)

To cut a long story short, I'm building an Arch setup which doesn't use GNOME or KDE (I chose an old favourite WM, Fluxbox, instead), and where possible, trying not to use GNOME or KDE apps either, where there are lighter alternatives.

One item I haven't been able to find, is a system tray applet for umounting removable drives. Thanks to the Arch wiki, I have got automounting of USB mass storage devices working, but to umount them I need to fire up an xterm and use "pumount".

I have "wmsystemtray" running in the Fluxbox "slit", so all I should need is a suitable systray applet. I'd rather not use the GNOME one (see above), but the only other applet I've found - XFCE Volstatus Icon - won't compile from the AUR as the source code tarball appears to have vanished from the XFCE4 site. I also don't think any Fluxbox-compatible dockapps will do the job, due to the move away from HAL for handling removable storage.

Basically, I'm "stumped", and would appreciate any suggestions you can give - many thanks!

Tim

--
Asus Eee 701SD (8Gb SSD) - Arch Linux
The continuing adventures: http://eee701planetoid.wordpress.com/
--

#2 2011-07-28 21:10:13

berbae

Re: Volume umounter tray icon that's not from GNOME or KDE?

I don't know if it is what you are looking for, but there is the udisksvm script from AUR, which uses traydevice to manage (re)-mounting/unmounting of removable devices.
With it there is no need to use any udev rules, but only udisks. Maybe you can try it.

#3 2011-07-28 21:26:27

ANOKNUSA

I never managed to find anything while I was using Openbox, but if you don't either, bashmount is almost as quick. I find it to be a good substitute.

#4 2011-07-29 08:16:02

tawalker
Website

@berbae @ANOKNUSA: thanks for your suggestions - much appreciated :-) Unfortunately, I don't think they're quite what I was looking for - I was basically after an equivalent to the Windows XP tray icon for stopping removable drives (or umounting them, in this case), if such a thing exists. (The XFCE4 Volstatus icon looked close - sadly, it seems to have vanished from the XFCE4 site.)

I've managed to find a dockapp called wmvolman, which seems closest to what I had in mind. I had to compile it from source, as it's not even in the AUR - it appears to work fine for me, though I'm wary that it relies on HAL (isn't that being abandoned for Udev?).

Much as I'd rather have a systray icon, instead of a sockapp which takes up a whole space in the Fluxbox "slit", I'll take wmvolman for now... thanks again for your help :-)

Tim

--
Asus Eee 701SD (8Gb SSD) - Arch Linux
The continuing adventures: http://eee701planetoid.wordpress.com/
--

#5 2011-07-29 09:34:45

berbae

For informations here are some snapshots of what it looks like in Openbox and Tint2 system tray :

Before inserting a memory stick
udisksvm snapshot 5

After a memory stick is plugged in
udisksvm snapshot 1

With the tooltip visible after the mouse cursor is over the icon (the mouse cursor was not taken in the snapshot)
udisksvm snapshot 2

With the right-click menu visible, the choice for unmounting is active
udisksvm snapshot 3

The right-click menu after the unmounting, with the re-mounting activated
udisksvm snapshot 4

I hope these images will give a better idea of udisksvm.

Last edited by berbae (2011-07-29 09:38:45)

Board footer