You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-26 19:57:20

killercow

[Solved] System Monitoring for SSH

Hi all,

Am on the lookout for a system monitoring tool that doesn't require X/KDE/GNOME etc. - ideally something like htop but with the functionality of something like conky ie. can also show temperatures (from lm-sensors etc.) etc.

I'm running a basic no-frills Storage box that hosts subsonic and via SSH I would like to have a tool i can quickly call upon and give me live feedback on my CPU usage etc. as well as temps. - A colourful interface would be nice too smile

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by killercow (2011-07-29 18:25:53)

#2 2011-07-26 20:01:56

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: [Solved] System Monitoring for SSH

See the monitorix pkg from the AUR is nice and does what you want.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2011-07-27 19:36:25

ChoK

conky also has a console mode iirc

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#4 2011-07-29 18:24:48

killercow

Thanks for your recommendations:

graysky: wanted to avoid running a webserver so gave monitorix a miss - though looks like a brilliant monitoring tool. smile

ChoK - thanks for putting me back on this path. I had an initial look and kind of gave up on conky being able to do this (especially since it explicitly advertises itself as a program that requires X) - however!!...

Found these options for conky.conf:

out_to_console
    Print text to stdout.

out_to_ncurses
    Print text in the console, but use ncurses so that conky can print the text of a new update over the old text. (In the future this will provide more useful things)

out_to_stderr
    Print text to stderr.

out_to_x
    When set to no, there will be no output in X (useful when you also use things like out_to_console). If you set it to no, make sure that it's placed before all other X-related setting (take the first line of your configfile to be sure). Default value is yes

Added
out_to_ncurses yes
out_to_x no

Commented out (to get rid of little warning message that appears otherwise):
#out_to_console no

..and voila! Conky a la console! Thanks a million! Time to play with my conky.conf file further smile

#5 2011-07-30 11:24:30

rwd

Also check out 'screen'. You can use it to let a commandline application run in  a 'screen' session on the remote system and show it locally via ssh. Unlike a regular terminal session it keeps on running so you can reconnect to it.

Last edited by rwd (2011-08-01 20:55:22)

Board footer