You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-01 21:17:27

Raptorista

Arch first upgrade

Hello everybody!
    This is my second post [first one was the introduction in the sticky], so be patient with me smile

I installed Arch Linux about a week ago, and managed to resolve all major problems by myself, and finally I wanted to try upgrading my system.

Here comes the problem: I've used Ubuntu before and I was used to small frequent package updates, but here looks different!
I read the News List on the home page but nothing relevant seems to be happened during last week.
I also read the topic "read before upgrading" and that's why I'm posting this question instead of a simpler "fire and forget" solution:
I did

sudo pacman -Syu

and then I was asked whether I wanted to replace some packages; in details:

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace kdeaccessibility-colorschemes with extra/kdeartwork-colorschemes? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdeaccessibility-iconthemes with extra/kdeartwork-iconthemes? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdeedu-libkdeedu with extra/libkdeedu? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdegraphics-libs with extra/kdegraphics-ksaneplugin? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdegraphics-libs with extra/kdegraphics-mobipocket? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdegraphics-libs with extra/kdegraphics-strigi-analyzer? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdegraphics-libs with extra/kdegraphics-svgpart? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdegraphics-libs with extra/kdegraphics-thumbnailers? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdegraphics-libs with extra/libkdcraw? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdegraphics-libs with extra/libkexiv2? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdegraphics-libs with extra/libkipi? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace kdegraphics-libs with extra/libksane? [Y/n] Y
:: Replace python-dateutil with community/python2-dateutil? [Y/n] Y

And I thought "Not sure but.. Why not?"

and then pacman told me he wanted to install 317 new packages and then

Total Download Size:    449.64 MB
Total Installed Size:   1391.67 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

Which made me stop and think, but since I don't know, it made me think to ask you all: is that correct?
I looked at the package list and i found that many of the packages refer to programs I already have installed, so I thought that maybe pacman doesn't mean he will use 1.4 MORE GB of my HDD [the problem is that initially I installed on a small partition "just to try" and I have about 3 GB free now]. Anyway, if I tell pacman to go on, what will it do?
Is that correct that after only one week of life it needs so many updates?

I looked for something like an upgrading guide but found nothing. If my question is trivial and a Wiki or a guide exists, please link me and I'll read it.

Thanks to everyone who will help me. smile

#2 2011-08-01 21:20:45

staticextasy

Re: Arch first upgrade

I'm not entirely sure but If i'm not mistaken it is replacing packages after all so in a sense the packages its replacing it will "remove" and "reinstall" them so its freeing up space and then taking it back up? Maybe not the best way to put it but I'm pretty sure you're fine. Correct me if i'm wrong someone.

Michael P.
StaticExtasy

#3 2011-08-01 21:22:12

wonder
Developer
Website

so you installed the whole kde desktop and then wonder why you have so many updates?:)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2011-08-01 21:26:41

karol
Archivist

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 21112.html talks about the replacements you encountered.

The packages remain in the cache, /var/cache/pacman/pkg by default, so It will use, say, 1 GB more than before the upgrade. You can remove pacakges from the cache of course (see pacman man page for details).
Also https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12566 will show you the upgrade size (it's not live yet, so you can't use it).

#5 2011-08-01 21:29:37

staticextasy

karol wrote:

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/ … 21112.html talks about the replacements you encountered.

The packages remain in the cache, /var/cache/pacman/pkg by default, so It will use, say, 1 GB more than before the upgrade. You can remove pacakges from the cache of course (see pacman man page for details).
Also https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12566 will show you the upgrade size (it's not live yet, so you can't use it).

Ah forgot about the cache, Sorry OP, i was close.

Michael P.
StaticExtasy

#6 2011-08-01 21:38:39

Raptorista

staticextasy wrote:

I'm not entirely sure but If i'm not mistaken it is replacing packages after all so in a sense the packages its replacing it will "remove" and "reinstall" them so its freeing up space and then taking it back up? Maybe not the best way to put it but I'm pretty sure you're fine. Correct me if i'm wrong someone.

Good, that's what I hoped he was going to do!

wonder wrote:

so you installed the whole kde desktop and then wonder why you have so many updates?:)

Yeah, this is someway the main idea smile
I know KDE has a lot of stuff, but didn't think it has so many updates to do!
I mean, this is the first time I use KDE, I used GNOME on Ubuntu so this is all pretty new to me and I don't know what should I do.

karol wrote:

Perfect! This explains it all! So tomorrow I will update smile

By the way, I read the mailman article but couldn't understand how to implement, provided it's already possible!

Anywaym thanks a lot for all the help you gave me so far smile

#7 2011-08-01 21:41:47

wonder
Developer
Website

Raptorista wrote:
wonder wrote:

Yeah, this is someway the main idea smile
I know KDE has a lot of stuff, but didn't think it has so many updates to do!
I mean, this is the first time I use KDE, I used GNOME on Ubuntu so this is all pretty new to me and I don't know what should I do.

its huge because kde was updated to a new major version, from 4.6 to 4.7. You won't see this on ubuntu ever.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#8 2011-08-01 21:47:07

Raptorista

wonder wrote:

its huge because kde was updated to a new major version, from 4.6 to 4.7. You won't see this on ubuntu ever.

So this is what "rolling release" actually means smile

#9 2011-08-01 21:49:06

karol
Archivist

Raptorista wrote:
wonder wrote:

Exactly. You download a bunch of new stuff e.g. every week (you can update daily if you wish).

#10 2011-08-01 21:51:14

staticextasy

karol wrote:
Raptorista wrote:
wonder wrote:

Exactly. You download a bunch of new stuff e.g. every week (you can update daily if you wish).

I prefer daily, Less i have to wait for everything to be finished if i do it weekly.

Michael P.
StaticExtasy

#11 2011-08-01 22:34:41

SS4

staticextasy wrote:
karol wrote:
Raptorista wrote:

I prefer daily, Less i have to wait for everything to be finished if i do it weekly.

Then you end up checking for updates even more often. It's what happened to me, I wonder how long it'll be before you upgrade to ProgDan's repo tongue

Rauchen verboten

#12 2011-08-01 23:41:16

staticextasy

SS4 wrote:
staticextasy wrote:
karol wrote:

Then you end up checking for updates even more often. It's what happened to me, I wonder how long it'll be before you upgrade to ProgDan's repo tongue

I use LXDE though.

Michael P.
StaticExtasy

Board footer