You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-12 01:18:07

snoutspout

Reverting mke2fs. Possible?

Hi,

I accidentally formatted my external ext3 1TB harddrive. Classic, wanted to make an live usbstick and forgot that the harddrive was still plugged in. That wasn't the biggest mistake .I used the mke2fs command to write the superblock. I am such a moron. Now I have only random access on the old data. With commercial tools like r-studio, I only get random data which is too hard to put in an properly order. is there any way to revert mke2fs? all the documents from my girlfriend are on that drive. I used also testdisk, but I think for that is it now to late. I need your help.

#2 2011-08-12 01:34:31

Gusar

Re: Reverting mke2fs. Possible?

Did the mke2fs command finish, or did you interrupt it? If you interrupted it, it's possible there's still old superblocks on the disk, and if that's the case you can probably rescue the disk:
- install testdisk
- have it print all the superblocks of the filesystem you accidentally screwed up. it's been a while since I was rescuing my external disk this way, so I can't remember how exactly to do that, just read some testdisk documentation
- note down the superblock with the highest number
- do an e2fsck and provide it the superblock number from the previous step (it's the -b option, see e2fsck help)
- with luck, you'll find everything in the /lost+found dir

I rescued my disk with this method, but I interrupted the mke2fs command almost immediately.

Good luck, you'll need it!

#3 2011-08-12 01:51:59

snoutspout

Re: Reverting mke2fs. Possible?

Thank you for you answer. Sadly, the process wasn't interrupted.

Board footer