You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-19 17:49:58

garretraziel
Website

[SOLVED] Normal updates from old mirror

Hello,
I installed Archlinux few months ago (from newest install media from may 2010) and, because I am from Czech Republic, I choosed cvut.cz mirror (and kernel.org mirror as secondary). I have installed whole system from it, installed all programs and, till the day before yesterday, did actualizations from it. Today I realized that last actualization was too long ago (16. 8. I think). I have searched and founded out that cvut mirror isn't fully functional and was removed from /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist nine months ago (but, because installation media is from may 2010, it was in mirrorlist on that CD). So I want to ask, how could I do actualizations from it since it isn't up to date? And why they suddenly stopped? I would understand if I couldn't actualize from beginning (because "first mirror isn't receiving actualizations") or if I could actualize all the time (because of choosing kernel.org every time I try to actualize), but I don't understand why I could actualize and now I couldn't. Today I just removed cvut.cz mirror from mirrorlist, done pacman -Syu and everything worked well, as before.

Last edited by garretraziel (2011-08-20 13:59:02)

#2 2011-08-19 18:09:09

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED] Normal updates from old mirror

You can pick a fresh mirrorlist http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

I have no idea about that Czech server.

#3 2011-08-19 20:03:31

garretraziel
Website

Thanks, but that's not what I wanted to ask (sorry for my english). I know how to get fresh mirrorlist. This is my situation: as a main repo I have used some server and today I realized that this server is not actively actualized for about year (and was deleted from pacman.d/mirrorlist 9 months ago). So I wonder why could I actualize for months. And why I suddenly can't. For several months (since I installed it) I could successfully install and actualize (and there wasn't any error) and two days ago it stopped (it says that I have my system up-to-date). I changed mirrorlist and now everything works as expected, but I only want to know why it worked.

#4 2011-08-19 20:34:57

alphaniner

So I wonder why could I actualize for months. And why I suddenly can't.

Everything works right up to the point that it doesn't! wink

You'd probably have to ask whoever was maintaining the repo to know for sure (or maybe check old maining lists), but it probably worked until recently because it was in fact up and running, and now it's not.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#5 2011-08-20 08:18:36

garretraziel
Website

Thanks, perhaps that's solution:-).

So, I suppose, package list and actualizations are synchronized only with first mirror, not with all from pacman.d/mirrorlist (others are used only when first if offline).

#6 2011-08-20 09:17:18

karol
Archivist

garretraziel wrote:

So, I suppose, package list and actualizations are synchronized only with first mirror, not with all from pacman.d/mirrorlist (others are used only when first if offline).

Exactly, pacman uses only the first working mirror from the list.

1. The mirror was working well and was on the mirrorlist.
2. The mirror starting acting up or stopped syncing altogether and as a result it got dropped from the mirrorlist.
3. The mirror started working OK back again, but nobody asked to put it back on the mirrorlist.
4. The mirror stopped syncing and went out of date.
And this is where you figured out something was wrong with the mirror.

#7 2011-08-20 09:25:47

garretraziel
Website

Yes, this would be it, thanks. And all problems was solved, today was released new installation media with actualized mirrorlist :-).

#8 2011-08-20 09:27:20

karol
Archivist

garretraziel wrote:

Yes, this would be it, thanks. And all problems was solved, today was released new installation media with actualized mirrorlist :-).

Good to hear that.

Don't forget to mark this topic as solved.

Board footer