You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-11 05:04:56

Branduur

[SOLVED] Music display on desktop

Hello there,

I was wondering if there was any nice little audio player that would allow me to display the song / artist title on the desktop? I'm a bit new to Arch Linux and well, I've got no idea what to search for to get this type of feature. Currently just using GNOME Mplayer for my music but it would be nice to be able to have some information on the desktop so I wouldnt have to constantly swap to the music player to be able to check the song name or skip the song, etc. For Gnome.

Get what I'm saying?

Heres a picture to explain further what I mean

http://fs02.androidpit.info/ass/x94/201 … 781262.jpg

Something like that. On  the desktop.

Sorry if I am being unclear but Ive got no idea what its called or how to describe it further smile

mod edit: Hello Branduur and welcome to the forums. Please read Forum Etiquette: Pasting Pictures and Code. Thanks. --fsckd

Last edited by Branduur (2011-09-12 14:26:04)

#2 2011-09-11 15:03:03

M4he

Re: [SOLVED] Music display on desktop

Welcome to Arch Branduur!

You may want to have a look at covergloobus.
It seems to be exactly what you are looking for and works with any common player (i.e. banshee or rhythmbox).
You can find it in the AUR.

Greetings, M4he.

Arch - makes me feel right at /home

#3 2011-09-11 20:00:30

Branduur

M4he wrote:

You may want to have a look at covergloobus.

Thank you for the welcomes, glad to be with Arch now (and I will be for a while, this is a great OS.)

Also, yes, thank you! That is exactly what I am looking for. Works perfectly with the Banshee player.

#4 2011-09-11 21:03:09

ewaller
Administrator

conky

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-09-12 08:28:10

Starfall
Website

As ewaller suggested, this can also be accomplished with conky, check it out if you're curious, though I would recommend sticking with Covergloobus, it works nice and easy and has many great themes.

If you've got this all running and you're happy with the results, please click the 'Edit' link on your original post and amend the title so it states '[SOLVED]' at the beginning smile

Visit my blog and my DeviatArt page

#6 2011-09-12 14:25:04

Branduur

Starfall wrote:

As ewaller suggested, this can also be accomplished with conky, check it out if you're curious, though I would recommend sticking with Covergloobus, it works nice and easy and has many great themes.

If you've got this all running and you're happy with the results, please click the 'Edit' link on your original post and amend the title so it states '[SOLVED]' at the beginning smile

Alright, yeah I'll check out conky too.

Board footer