You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-15 14:49:54

nankura

OpenGL Compositing

Hey guys

Ok basically. in most window managers accept for fluxbox and E17 which have inbuilt "transperancy" and some effects. i suffer a phew issues lately. i have done research and the issue with XFCE's comp manager is that it doesnt use opengl + vsync or something like that, and therefor cops screen tearing.

Also i tried Cairo compmgr. its good but caused screen tearing for some reason. i tried with vsync disabled and it didnt change the issue

Compiz was a huge performance hit on ubuntu ( im still fairly new to arch , 3 months in now ) and i havnt tested compiz here yet. though. compiz did have opengl/Sync to VBlank options which fixed tearing. which was nice

P.S: at the moment im using the MATE Desktop gnome 2 fork, loving it. but im not sure whats compatable with it in the compositing area

Basically what im wondering. is there any opengl based Compositing manager thats lightweight and doesnt have issue's. i did some reading on AIGLX and XGL which appearently are decent for that.

But i have no idea how to get AIGLX working. i checked the arch wiki and it says thats its builtin with x.org, so like. is there something i need to add to the xorg.conf or some sort of gui manager i can use

Plus. how is the performance/ideal behind AIGL/XGL with opengl. does it perform decently or would i be better off with compiz

Last edited by nankura (2011-09-15 14:52:21)

#2 2011-09-17 07:40:19

the sad clown

Re: OpenGL Compositing

cairo-compmgr might be a lighter alternative to Compiz while still utilizing OpenGL.

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2011-09-17 15:22:40

nankura

the sad clown wrote:

cairo-compmgr might be a lighter alternative to Compiz while still utilizing OpenGL.

i gave it a try. but in the comp manager settings gui. theres only an option for X Render and Software. how do i enabled opengl?

#4 2011-09-17 17:25:02

roygbiv

Sorry. False information. Forget it.

Last edited by roygbiv (2011-09-17 17:26:17)

#5 2011-09-17 17:31:57

ewaller
Administrator

nankura wrote:
the sad clown wrote:

i gave it a try. but in the comp manager settings gui. theres only an option for X Render and Software. how do i enabled opengl?

Lets look at a few things...

can you post the output of glxinfo (owned by the mesa-demos package)
Also, the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log

They will be long, so I suggest posting them to pastebin and providing a link.  If you do want to post them here, make sure you use BBCode Code tags

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2011-09-18 00:57:19

nankura

heres the glxinfo paste
http://pastebin.com/A3YiTcXd

and heres the xorg.0.log
http://pastebin.com/rvfXJdQ3

Board footer