You are not logged in.

#226 2007-01-28 14:08:53

funkyou
Website

Re: kdemod - a lightified and modular KDE + additional patches

superstoned wrote:

btw funkyou,

the link to this forum on your kdemod page ( http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/?page_id=7 ) doesn't work anymore due to the forum changes here...

just saying ;-)

btw how's progress on 3.5.6? any new problems?

Thx, links are fixed smile

Naa, no more problems big_smile I just added some more patches and the upload (400mb) is in progress - this takes some time on my 384kbps/up line...

To brigde the time gap, here is the changelog:

pkgbuilds:
- completely new PKGBUILDs (a LOT easier to maintain and to adapt new apps etc)
- completely new buildscripts
- some changes in the naming scheme (e.g. kdeutils -> kdeutils-base)

new packages:
- kdemod-extra (some useful applets, baghira sidebar etc)
- kdemod-kdegraphics-kdvi
- kdemod-kdegraphics-kfax
- kdemod-kdegraphics-kuickshow
- kdemod-kdegraphics-kview
- kdemod-kde-i18n-af
- kdemod-kde-i18n-da
- kdemod-kde-i18n-fi
- kdemod-kde-i18n-fr
- kdemod-kde-i18n-it
- kdemod-kde-i18n-ja
- kdemod-kde-i18n-lt
- kdemod-kde-i18n-nl
- kdemod-kde-i18n-nn
- kdemod-kde-i18n-pl
- kdemod-kde-i18n-se
- kdemod-kde-i18n-sv
- kdemod-kde-i18n-tr
- kdemod-kde-i18n-zh_cn
- kdemod-kdeutils-kdf
- kdemod-kdeutils-kfloppy

patches:
- archified kickoff even more and made the fonts smaller
- modified the ksmserver patch to not include compiz & beryl stuff into a saved session
- added a patch to mute audio when middle clicking on the kmix systray icon (configurable)

... to be continued

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#227 2007-01-28 14:24:14

Master One

Damned, I really thought, I'd stick with new XFCE4.4.0, but as a longtime KDE user, I just can't live with such a minimalistic approach. Hands down, Kontact, Konqueror and Koffice are *the* kick-butt applications, rather lightweight, and fully functional. I tried, but I can not become friends with Evolution, Firefox / Epiphany / Seamonkey and OpenOffice / abiword / gnumeric.

The only GTK2 app, I rely on, is GnuCash (KMymoney is just not there yet). Only the stock Arch KDE packages kept me from installing till now (too much mess with all those unneeded apps), so am I eagerly awaiting the release of KDEMOD 3.5.6. I am now cleaning my machine from previously installed packages, and then I am ready to go (ready when you are, funkyou smile, and congrats, you are doing a fabulous job for all KDE fans using Arch, hopefully you will stick with it, I mean Arch & KDE).

#228 2007-01-28 14:33:39

SchaduwBlink

funkyou, now that you got this all done and uploaded, the Arch team released new builds of kdelibs, kdepim, and kdeaddons. You might want to look at those packages to see what was added, if you veiw the cvs file, you can see the changelog. Mainly some patches to fix various bugs. Since you used the svn of KDE, it might already have those fixes. Not too sure.

And great work on this release. smile

@All: http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.6.php amd http://www.kde.org/info/3.5.6.php

It's official now. wink

Last edited by SchaduwBlink (2007-01-28 14:34:09)

#229 2007-01-28 14:41:29

superstoned

the arch kde maintainers probably took the 'first' set of kde 3.5.6 tagged code, while they did some last-minute changes after that. they probably just updated the packages to include those? (which means funkyou has the right stuff already...)

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#230 2007-01-28 17:57:59

tafsen

Kwrite won't start now.  I tried run kwrite from the terminal, but there's no output

#231 2007-01-28 19:27:47

superstoned

tafsen: wait for the 3.5.6 packages (anytime now i guess)?

#232 2007-01-28 20:50:27

tafsen

How can I change the language on the new menu? Because "Search" and the tabs doesn't follow the language for the rest of KDE.

#233 2007-01-28 21:19:55

superstoned

it's not localized (eg there are no translations in the packages). maybe funkyou can do something about it, but i wouldn't count on it.

#234 2007-01-28 21:33:52

SchaduwBlink

The text can be changed. The text is added to the files and in the code they use the i18 bracket thing that allows for the translation. The alternate language just needs to be added to the localization files, but I don't know which ones to add it to. I kinda forget. Also, there are graphics for kickoff located in the kde kicker graphics folder that can be changed. Kick off is new so all the translations are not the files yet. wink I will check the patch again to see what the files and graphics are again.

#235 2007-01-29 07:43:39

superstoned

upgrading to 3.5.6 ;-)

#236 2007-01-29 07:52:57

funkyou
Website

Master One wrote:

Damned, I really thought, I'd stick with new XFCE4.4.0, but as a longtime KDE user, I just can't live with such a minimalistic approach. Hands down, Kontact, Konqueror and Koffice are *the* kick-butt applications, rather lightweight, and fully functional. I tried, but I can not become friends with Evolution, Firefox / Epiphany / Seamonkey and OpenOffice / abiword / gnumeric.

The only GTK2 app, I rely on, is GnuCash (KMymoney is just not there yet). Only the stock Arch KDE packages kept me from installing till now (too much mess with all those unneeded apps), so am I eagerly awaiting the release of KDEMOD 3.5.6. I am now cleaning my machine from previously installed packages, and then I am ready to go (ready when you are, funkyou smile, and congrats, you are doing a fabulous job for all KDE fans using Arch, hopefully you will stick with it, I mean Arch & KDE).

Thx. Well, Arch + KDE is the combination i searched for some years, every other distro just wasnt right for me (too much bloat, too much cluttered tools, or the overdone attempt to make it "easy"), so i will probably stick with this combination smile Obviously, i am a KDE addict, i use it since 1.0 (redhat somewhat at that time, yay) and every other DE i tried just disappointed me in terms of usability and speed... A friend of me encouraged me to check out OS X lately, because its like Linux/BSD but without all the fiddling... Guess what? I tried it, got dissapointed again, and now i am encouraging him to check out KDE smile

SchaduwBlink wrote:

funkyou, now that you got this all done and uploaded, the Arch team released new builds of kdelibs, kdepim, and kdeaddons. You might want to look at those packages to see what was added, if you veiw the cvs file, you can see the changelog. Mainly some patches to fix various bugs. Since you used the svn of KDE, it might already have those fixes. Not too sure.

And great work on this release. smile

@All: http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.6.php amd http://www.kde.org/info/3.5.6.php
It's official now. wink

I used the latest tarballs, and the patches are already applied, look below smile

tafsen wrote:

How can I change the language on the new menu? Because "Search" and the tabs doesn't follow the language for the rest of KDE.

I will take a look at this... Maybe there are som i18n patches for it i missed, but i cannot guarantee this...

Okidoki, now to the real deal... Just follow the instructions to install 3.5.6:

1 - Remove your old KDEmod installation. This is a _must_ because i have changed some package names, and the "provides" and "conflicts" directives in my PKGBUILDS dont allow to simply upgrade the whole thing... So just delete it. (pacman -Q | grep kdemod and then pacman -Rd <package(s)>, its not necessary to remove qt-enhanced...)

2 - Repo has changed. You have to change you pacman.conf:

[kdemod]
Server = http://kdemod.ath.cx/repo/current

The repo is also browseable, just point your browser to http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/repo/...

3 - Update your pacman database with pacman -Suy

4 - Install the KDEmod base packages with pacman -S kdemod

5 - Install your localization... Do a pacman -Ss kdemod to see whats available...

6 - Install all the apps you want. Again pacman -Ss kdemod is very helpful...

7 - If you want to harness the full power of Kickoff, just install pacman -S kdemod-kerry

8 - If you want to get some usefull kicker applets and the baghira sidebar for konqueror, just install pacman -S kdemod-extra

Thats it smile

Latest changes:
- included kmail crash fix
- included webarchiver security issue fix
- updated kdemod-extra

#237 2007-01-29 08:15:19

tafsen

:blush:

Last edited by tafsen (2007-01-29 08:16:12)

#238 2007-01-29 09:45:21

superstoned

pacman -S kdemod-extras kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-kgpg kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-kcharselect kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-charselectapplet kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-ark kdemod/kdemod-kdepim-korganizer kdemod/kdemod-kdepim-knotes kdemod/kdemod-kdepim-kontact kdemod/kdemod-kdenetwork-kdict kdemod/kdemod-kdepim-akregator kdemod/kdemod-kdenetwork-krdc kdemod/kdemod-kdenetwork-krfb kdemod/kdemod-kdenetwork-kget  kdemod/kdemod-kdegraphics-ksnapshot kdemod/kdemod-kdegraphics-kolourpaint kdemod/kdemod-kdegraphics-kooka
error: cannot resolve dependencies for "kdemod-kdeutils-charselectapplet":
       "kdemod-kdeutils" is not in the package set

10:46 AM root:/home/superstoned/>pacman -S kdemod-kdeutils
kdemod-kdeutils: not found in sync db

it looks like the dependencies haven't been updated to include kdemod-kdeutils-base instead of kdemod-kdeutils... ???

Last edited by superstoned (2007-01-29 09:46:28)

#239 2007-01-29 10:01:19

funkyou
Website

superstoned wrote:

pacman -S kdemod-extras kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-kgpg kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-kcharselect kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-charselectapplet kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-ark kdemod/kdemod-kdepim-korganizer kdemod/kdemod-kdepim-knotes kdemod/kdemod-kdepim-kontact kdemod/kdemod-kdenetwork-kdict kdemod/kdemod-kdepim-akregator kdemod/kdemod-kdenetwork-krdc kdemod/kdemod-kdenetwork-krfb kdemod/kdemod-kdenetwork-kget  kdemod/kdemod-kdegraphics-ksnapshot kdemod/kdemod-kdegraphics-kolourpaint kdemod/kdemod-kdegraphics-kooka
error: cannot resolve dependencies for "kdemod-kdeutils-charselectapplet":

10:46 AM root:/home/superstoned/>pacman -S kdemod-kdeutils
kdemod-kdeutils: not found in sync db

it looks like the dependencies haven't been updated to include kdemod-kdeutils-base instead of kdemod-kdeutils... ???

oops roll currently rebuilding charselectapplet... expect an update in the next minutes

EDIT: fixed

Last edited by funkyou (2007-01-29 10:08:48)

#240 2007-01-29 10:35:13

tafsen

kwrite is still not working =\

and amaroK crashes if im not connected to the internet =/

#241 2007-01-29 10:49:26

funkyou
Website

tafsen wrote:

kwrite is still not working =\

and amaroK crashes if im not connected to the internet =/

kwrite works fine here... did you try it with kate? they share a lot of stuff... also check if you have no old version of a package left on your machine... and test it with a fresh user too.

amarok also works fine, with or without internet, it doesnt matter... maybe you have some extra scripts/plugins installed? please check this... when starting from a terminal, amarok also prints out a lot of information, maybe you find something there...

does someone else have the same problems?

#242 2007-01-29 11:00:56

tafsen

I restarted now, and the problem with kwrite seems to be ok.

I ask about amarok some other place wink

Once again, thx for great work smile

btw, what packages is Kmixer in? My sound disapeared after the update.

And how do I enable the baghira plugin for konqueror?

Last edited by tafsen (2007-01-29 14:24:12)

#243 2007-01-29 12:18:01

superstoned

01:13 PM root:~/>pacman -Sy kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-base kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-kregexpeditor kdemod/kdemod-kdeutils-superkaramba
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 kdemod                   [###############################################################################] 100%      13K    30.8K/s  00:00:00
 kdemod-testing           [###############################################################################] 100%       0K     4.3K/s  00:00:00
 perlcpan                 [###############################################################################] 100%      29K    15.4K/s  00:00:01
:: current is up to date
:: extra is up to date
:: community is up to date
 kdei                     [###############################################################################] 100%       4K     4.8K/s  00:00:00
 brain0                   [###############################################################################] 100%       0K     2.4K/s  00:00:00
:: kdemod-kdeutils-base-3.5.6-1: is up to date.  Upgrade anyway? [Y/n] n
error: cannot resolve dependencies for "kdemod-kdeutils-kregexpeditor":

01:17 PM root:~/> SHIT

looks like not all packages are fixed yet?

#244 2007-01-29 12:25:11

superstoned

btw, does kopete still NEED ortp 0.7.1 instead of a newer version?

#245 2007-01-29 18:12:49

superstoned

nice work at 3.5.6, works great!

previous complaints where from my work, where i remotely (ssh) upgraded to 3.5.6. As i see the new stuff, i've totally forgotten about the upgrade prob's big_smile

btw the link 'about' in your announcement on the site also links to the thread instead of to about...

another thing, the full font hinting isn't funny for many NVIDIA users due to a (neglected) bug in the drivers (plz complain, ppl! it's easy to reproduce, see my post on the last page):
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthr … 857&page=7

#246 2007-01-29 18:55:14

SchaduwBlink

error: cannot resolve dependencies for "kdemod-kdeutils-kregexpeditor":

EDIT: also with:
error: cannot resolve dependencies for "kdemod-kdeutils-khexedit":
/EDIT

I get this error. There is kdemod-kdeutils-base, which it should depend on. wink There is no kdemod-kdutils anymore.
EDIT: So maybe all kdeutils packages need to be looked at?

Cheers.

Last edited by SchaduwBlink (2007-01-29 18:59:41)

#247 2007-01-29 19:04:14

superstoned

shadowblink: yes, i reported that also. and also, the kdemod-extra's package hasn't been updated yet to 3.5.6, so i miss some kicker applets ;-)

#248 2007-01-29 19:11:23

SchaduwBlink

I kinda cheated my way to an install. I went to /var/lib/pacman/kdemod and edited teh depend files to have the dorrect depends, not everything installs. wink So, you can try that if you want to install some files, though don't sync again until the depends have been fixed. tongue

Cheers.

#249 2007-01-29 19:19:10

superstoned

naah, i can wait....

aand... another thing: what about this patch for emblems?
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=52193

#250 2007-01-29 19:21:08

superstoned

and still another one: http://sourceforge.net/projects/kpdf2/
updates to kpdf from 3.5.x. it's a seperate app because the author made a fork, tough he intends to add the patches to trunk and they might turn up in 3.5.7 (if they prove to be stable, and get some testing).

Board footer