You are not logged in.

#26 2007-04-05 12:09:59

patroclo7

Re: Vim + Firefox!

This is a real bijoux, the best firefox extension I have found in general (it is much better than conkeror with vi-bindings: probably an extension is more suitable than a chrome to this purpose).

I am also really proud of arch: if you search for vimperator in google, the only two relevant results belong to these forums. Only archers seem to know this treasure. The author should be praised to have developed this bijoux to be already now highly powerful and usable, instead of loosing time in publicity and websites. smile

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#27 2007-04-05 12:34:55

dolby

nice to have :help now. solves all questions that might arise

really hope to make it to the mozilla addons pages. im sure more ppl will appreciate
thanks for making it true

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#28 2007-04-05 13:34:11

erikl

This is awsome, thanks alot!

#29 2007-04-16 15:08:33

patroclo7

http://vimperator.mozdev.org/
The popularity of this bijoux is increasing, I hope that it stays clean as it is (too many feature requests risk bloating it).

#30 2007-04-18 01:06:04

maxauthority

dolby wrote:

nice to have :help now. solves all questions that might arise

really hope to make it to the mozilla addons pages. im sure more ppl will appreciate
thanks for making it true

I thought about it, and maybe at some time I'll do it, but usually advertising an addon on 2 web pages is double the work when releasing an update. :(

Also, they have quite strict rules, what I may do and what not, and I don't know yet if I want to comply (e.g. setting a maxVersion of 3.0 is not allowed, if I didn't test with FF3.0 - on the other hand I am annoyed when I use an addon and has an outdated maxVersion, although it would work well): http://wiki.mozilla.org/Update:Website: … your_Addon

Anyway, version 0.3 was released today. Biggest improvment is the "I" command, which disables vimperator keys until <esc> to make sites like gmail work.

#31 2007-04-18 01:37:10

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

maxauthority wrote:

Anyway, version 0.3 was released today. Biggest improvment is the "I" command, which disables vimperator keys until <esc> to make sites like gmail work.

Great.  My only complaint is not really a fault of yours... but I miss my statusbar.  Perhaps you could somehow display the command line below the real statusbar if, say, :set statusbar=visible, is set or something similar?

#32 2007-04-18 02:04:35

maxauthority

phrakture wrote:
maxauthority wrote:

Great.  My only complaint is not really a fault of yours... but I miss my statusbar.  Perhaps you could somehow display the command line below the real statusbar if, say, :set statusbar=visible, is set or something similar?

Read the changelog and associated help files :)

* documented 's' and 'b' guioptions flag for statusbar/bookmark bar

EDIT: it may not be as fully functional as without vimperator, at least I don't see the embedded progressbar. I do see Firebugs icon though - so please post your experiences, although I probably can't improve it anyway.

Last edited by maxauthority (2007-04-18 02:12:33)

#33 2007-04-18 05:55:18

nicholai

maxauthority, thanks for the most amazing firefox plugin I have ever used. It does everything I ever hoped a graphical browser would do and more.

Cheers,

/Nic

EDIT: One small upgrade issue, though. I get a "Not Found" when I try and download version 0.3

Last edited by nicholai (2007-04-18 06:06:14)

Desktop :Athlon64       2.2 GHz
Laptop   :Toshiba R100    1GHz

#34 2007-04-18 08:09:30

patroclo7

As it often happens with mozdev stuff, you have to wait for the syncing of servers

#35 2007-04-18 15:22:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

maxauthority wrote:
phrakture wrote:
maxauthority wrote:

Read the changelog and associated help files smile

* documented 's' and 'b' guioptions flag for statusbar/bookmark bar

Yup, I didn't get that far.  Thanks for that.

Here's a request too: if Split Browser is installed, you could expose all the windowing commands (:vw, C-w, etc etc)

#36 2007-04-28 10:21:10

Zoranthus

Oh, wow.. since I last tried it, it really has improved alot. As have my vim skills for that part. big_smile

Giving it a new try again.. maybe.. if you get used to it..
Damn if I really start to use it frequently, I can just as well give wmii another try. big_smile Or ion3?  So many descisions...

Anyway, great job. I'll try to provide some more input as I learn to use it. smile

PS: I like how you can search the bookmarks with reg. expressions, but one you have singled out one, is clocking it with the mouse really the only way to open it? 0o

Last edited by Zoranthus (2007-04-28 10:51:06)

#37 2007-04-29 00:17:25

maxauthority

Nice you like it, but regular expressions search in bookmarks had to go in 0.4 to support :set wildmode=list:longest,full

Big advantage is also that now :open <tab> should have become _much_ faster on big history/bookmark lists (the guy who wrote the patch spoke about a 6x speedup over the regexp implementation).

But in the future I'll add at least a way to do :open term1 term2<tab> which searches for both terms, I think that should be sufficient for most needs, otherwise we need to find a solution.

0.4 is going to come in the next week or so probably, already with a Huge Changelog.

Last edited by maxauthority (2007-04-29 00:19:17)

#38 2007-05-01 15:10:41

maxauthority

After a long work, vimperator 0.4 was released with a huge ChangeLog:

You can get it from http://vimperator.mozdev.org but make sure you follow the installation rules there as older vimperator versions need to be uninstalled first!

---------
2007-05-01:
        * version 0.4
        * extension GUID was changed to 'vimperator@mozdev.net' -> YOU WILL HAVE
          TO UNINSTALL ANY OLD VIMPERATOR INSTALLATION BEFORE INSTALLING THIS VERSION
        * support for internal search engines was dropped. Now we use Firefox search engines
        * support for 'wildmode' completion setting with support for matching the
          longest common substring. Also new 'wildoptions' setting
        * added 'f' to the 'complete' option to allow listing of filenames in :open prompt
        * changed regexp search to normal text search for completion -> massive speedup, but limited functionality
        * support for :open ./ , :open .. and :open ... (patch from Lee Hinman)
          'gu' and <BackSpace> goes up a directory component, gU and <C-BackSpace> to the root directory
        * Esc now doesn't stop loading the webpage, use Ctrl-c instead, :stop command added
        * changed hinttags to work with dict.leo.org and hintstyle to work with digg.com
        * :back! goes to beginning of history now
        * diabled firefox 3.0 support for now, as there are just too many small
          bugs
        * new Makefile instead of build.sh (only important for developers)
        * newly designed help page
        * :help section supported, :help :set will show help for the :set command
          (patch from Viktor Kojouharov)
        * :source support, and auto-sourcing ~/.vimperatorrc on startup
        * :javascript <<EOF support to execute multiline javascript code
          also changed :exec to behave more vim like
        * fixed saving of session
        * fixed hints display when zooming in/out of a web page
        * added 'B' command for continous buffer display
        * changed hintsize to 12px by default
        * 'previewheight' setting to set the maximum size for the preview window
        * showmode setting which shows the current mode in the command line (patch from Виктор Кожухаров)
        * gh goes home :) gH in a new tab
        * :open! bypasses cache
        * :buffer and :buffers support (patch from Lars Kindler)
        * added :edit, :e and :tabedit aliases for :open, :tabopen
        * settings can now be changed with += and -= like in vim (patch from Виктор Кожухаров)
        * Support for space/shift-space/alt-left/alt-right keys without beeping
        * :open without argument reloads current page, :tabopen opens an empty tab
        * added 'n' and 'N' to repeat a search
        * many small bug fixes

#39 2007-05-07 20:38:26

koen_vb

Hi,

Maybe a feature request?
I love to use the extension, but it's really annoying to work
with if you are using gmail. It would be very nice if you can add gmail and google calendar
to a sort of a list of sites which are automatic excluded from vimperator.
So I don't have to type "I" all the time?
Because I'm used to the gmail shortcuts as well...

I really have to learn vim now also I think, it is so nice
to walk around with the keyboard!

#40 2007-05-07 21:42:02

patroclo7

Well, I do not think that pressing 'I' is so bad: you need to do it ONLY one time during a gmail session, and one time Esc when you have finished. On the contrary the list of sites would grow huge and require updates and so. However maybe that the list could be not a default, but configurable by the user in the config file. This would be better (but I am comfortable with the present implementation with 'I').

#41 2007-05-08 07:31:36

nicholai

Hi,

How about mapping Ctrl-h to Backspace (as in our beloved vim)?

Again thanks for a great extension.

/Nic

#42 2007-05-08 11:43:36

maxauthority

nicholai wrote:

Hi,

How about mapping Ctrl-h to Backspace (as in our beloved vim)?

Again thanks for a great extension.

/Nic

I did not work yet at all for textbox keybindings, later on ctrl-h should be the same of course.

And in browser mode, backspace goes up a directory (sligthly buggy right now), think that's more natural than to scroll up, where we already have a massive amount of key bindings for.

#43 2007-05-08 14:42:09

nicholai

I did not work yet at all for textbox keybindings, later on ctrl-h should be the same of course.

And in browser mode, backspace goes up a directory (sligthly buggy right now), think that's more natural than to scroll up, where we already have a massive amount of key bindings for.

I was thinking of using Ctrl-h in command-mode as well. As when you mistype part of an address and you are too lazy to move your hand to Backspace (why must backspace be so far away?).

Cheers,

Nic

#44 2007-05-08 17:29:20

Bison
Website

Yes, this is a great plugin.  I've been using this for weeks.  Its even greater than conkeror!

#45 2007-05-08 20:59:32

harlekin

I tried it out first when this thread raised my attention but I stopped using vimperator because it was too buggy / not featured enough.

I somehow found the plugin again and am using it since a few days. I have to say vimperator behaves quite well! Far better than all other methods to avoid mouse usage in world wide web I tried.

Hail to the thief!

#46 2007-05-08 21:10:48

dolby

i noticed something weird in the latest version (i think its vimperator but not 100% sure). dunno if its a keyb shortcut but i couldnt find any reference in :help. but somehow when bon echo starts it tends to show my windows and tabs from last time instead of a black page and that option keeps changing every now and then. any ideas?
also how do i search something in an open page? ctrl+f doesnt work..

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#47 2007-05-08 22:01:14

patroclo7

Use / to search

#48 2007-05-08 23:19:14

ravster
Website

OT: I've tried using vi a few times, never worked. I use nano.
PS - I think vim and vi are the same thing. Please don't bite my head off if they aren't the same yikes:o:o:o:o:lol::lol:

PPS - i like the slogan

First there was a Navigator, then there was an Explorer. Later it was time for a Konqueror. Now it's time for an Imperator, the VIMperator smile

Last edited by ravster (2007-05-08 23:21:44)

#49 2007-05-08 23:58:00

patroclo7

Vim is vi improved. The /usr/bin/vi in the vim package is not exactly the old unix vi, but a stripped down version of the actual vim, which is in continuous, fruitful evolution.

The old unix vi is significantly different from the actual vim. Both of them ALWAYS work, while it is possible that someone has not the time/will to learn how they work. Obviously it is much simpler to learn to use vimperator than to learn to use vi or vim tongue

#50 2007-05-09 00:39:02

maxauthority

dolby wrote:

i noticed something weird in the latest version (i think its vimperator but not 100% sure). dunno if its a keyb shortcut but i couldnt find any reference in :help. but somehow when bon echo starts it tends to show my windows and tabs from last time instead of a black page and that option keeps changing every now and then. any ideas?

Use ZZ to close vimperator and save the pages, and ZQ to close and don't save the pages. Analogous to vim's commands.

Board footer