You are not logged in.

#51 2007-06-26 16:07:52

VuDu

Re: replace TeTex package by TeX Live

It'd be great to have someone making a package. That wiki page scared me... I think I'll keep using the TeTex until a more friendly solution arrives. sad

Another thing that scared me was this: http://forum.archlinux.de/?page=Posting … hread=5489
That's the closest thing I found to a "solution" and now I know why human translators are paid so good.

Last edited by VuDu (2007-06-26 16:09:44)

#52 2007-06-26 16:58:25

attila

It'd be great to have someone making a package. That wiki page scared me... I think I'll keep using the TeTex until a more friendly solution arrives. sad

I can understand you because i have the same feeling with the only difference that installing about 1GB with an installer scares me more because i need only the things described in this wiki.

#53 2007-06-26 17:12:25

VuDu

The size doesn't scare me at all, no way I'm not touching that ISO file tongue I'll rather wait for the pkgbuild. Everyone, everywhere is assuming TeXLive as teTeX's successor, so it's a matter of time to teTex get replaced on all distros repositories... too bad it's taking too long. sad

#54 2007-06-26 18:47:00

brain0
Developer

I looked at TexLive once and it is a nightmare: There is no source code available, no proper installation method, just some weird iso. I think it is the distributor-unfriendliest piece of software I have ever come across. As long as tetex does everything I need it to do, I will keep using it smile
If someone actually wants to go through that nightmare and make PKGBUILD(s) for TexLive, don't hesitate to send them to me.

#55 2007-06-26 18:51:55

attila

VuDu wrote:

The size doesn't scare me at all, no way I'm not touching that ISO file tongue I'll rather wait for the pkgbuild. Everyone, everywhere is assuming TeXLive as teTeX's successor, so it's a matter of time to teTex get replaced on all distros repositories... too bad it's taking too long. sad

The size is more an example for that tetex works well with a lower size and so i have the feeling that there is a lot what i never needed.

That this work takes long can i understand because texlive seems to be optimized only for installing it. I'm not satisfied that the producers of texlive offers no idea to include it in any packaging system on linux and let the maintainer do this more complicated job. I can only hope that the arch devs don't get crazy about this big problem. How longer i think about how this can go so more i miss tetex.-(

#56 2007-06-26 18:54:23

mouse256

brain0: maybe this is the source? I'm note sure though, this was just a quick search wink

#57 2007-06-26 19:00:51

brain0
Developer

mouse256 wrote:

brain0: maybe this is the source? I'm note sure though, this was just a quick search wink

I think I found something like this last time I checked, although they don't provide a link to it, the filename doesn't tell you what it is and what version it is. I don't know if I downloaded and extracted it, but if I did, I am sure it was a nightmare.

#58 2007-06-26 19:32:21

VuDu

Did anyone contacted any of the TeXLive devs? If there's someone that knows how easy it is to distribute, it should be the devs.
But... surely, this is odd, using a 900Mb ISO to install something whose package shouldn't be over 50mb, that's awkward.

#59 2007-06-27 07:25:19

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

brain0 wrote:
mouse256 wrote:

I think I found something like this last time I checked, although they don't provide a link to it, the filename doesn't tell you what it is and what version it is. I don't know if I downloaded and extracted it, but if I did, I am sure it was a nightmare.

This is the source for the binaries only. The zip files for the CTAN packages are in the ISO, but not available individually on CTAN.

One solution is to scan the TeXLive "database" (whose format has just been changed) to get the paths of the needed packages (or collections of packages) and use rsync to retrieve these from the TeXLive server. This should also be possible with svn.

I have done that in February when TeXLive 2007 was released. See my earlier post. The problem is that my PKGBUILDS no longer work, because much has changed in TeXlive since then. If I had a lot of spare time I would be happy to fix them and provide the new packages for the community repo. This is alas not possible right now sad At least this is not smthg I can do alone. As I wrote previously, I have submitted my PKGBUILDs to the maintainer of tetex, but he obviously had no time to deal with it since I have not heard from him since then.

Anyone out there willing to help?!

Cheers

Firmicus

PS :

VuDU wrote:

Did anyone contacted any of the TeXLive devs? If there's someone that knows how easy it is to distribute, it should be the devs.
But... surely, this is odd, using a 900Mb ISO to install something whose package shouldn't be over 50mb, that's awkward.

TeXLive was conceived as a yearly multiplatform TeX distribution on optical discs, which can be either run off a DVD or installed from a CD. But there are excellent Debian packages based on TeXLive (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/tex/texlive). The maintainers, Norbert Preining and Frank Küster, would be the best persons to ask, though I doubt the Debian approach would be that helpful for Arch packaging...

#60 2007-06-27 15:02:28

big_gie

Firmicus wrote:

I will help with it, since I will be using it.

Unfortunately, my laptop got stolen a month ago. I will receive a replacement in the next week. I'll dig more inside TeXLive then.

#61 2007-06-28 08:19:38

attila

From my side the will is there but i must say that i'm not satisfied with texlive.  As i read your lines about that the texlive database format changed and ruins your excellent work with your PKGBUILDS i must say that for me texlive is unstable as for including it in a package managment system without spending too much time or getting crazy about it. Now with the background of your lines with this inside informations i can understand why there is this wiki about refreshing tetex.
So how longer i think about it my personal dream is that there will be a way to get a tetex-bin-mini (or texlive-bin-mini) and we handle all other optional packages (latex styles, docs ...) in the community repo. But this is only my view of this all and is not meant so negative as it perhaps sounds.

#62 2007-06-28 10:34:28

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

attila wrote:

From my side the will is there but i must say that i'm not satisfied with texlive.  As i read your lines about that the texlive database format changed and ruins your excellent work with your PKGBUILDS i must say that for me texlive is unstable as for including it in a package managment system without spending too much time or getting crazy about it. Now with the background of your lines with this inside informations i can understand why there is this wiki about refreshing tetex.
So how longer i think about it my personal dream is that there will be a way to get a tetex-bin-mini (or texlive-bin-mini) and we handle all other optional packages (latex styles, docs ...) in the community repo. But this is only my view of this all and is not meant so negative as it perhaps sounds.

No, TeXlive is actually very stable. The new database format comes with Perl libraries and was introduced to get rid of the problematic tpm format, which was in XML. It is also a first step toward providing a way to have incremental updates of TeXlive, instead of having to wait for the next release and have to download a full iso image once a year. Note also that a TeX system like TeXlive is necessarily very complex, and packaging it for distribution cannot be expected to be simple.

My hope is that by the 2008 release it will be possible to do a network install (à la miktex perhaps), with integrated management system and the possibility of incremental updates. This would work for all Linux users. In the meantime I will try to update my PKGBUILDs (my previous work is not ruined BTW!) and convince one of the TUs to put the compiled packages in community. The best help you can provide will be by testing my texlive-core package (with 83M it is medium-sized, not mini smile) once it becomes available for download.

Thanks in advance!

#63 2007-06-28 15:33:12

attila

The best help you can provide will be by testing my texlive-core package (with 83M it is medium-sized, not mini smile) once it becomes available for download.

No, problem i will test (and hopefully use) your core package and the size is okay.:) Nice to hear that your work wasn't for nothing.

#64 2007-06-28 15:54:00

VuDu

Good news! smile Don't forget to keep us updated. I bet you won't see your effort ignored, you won't have many problems finding testers to your work wink

#65 2007-06-30 09:27:06

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

Hi folks!

I have very good news: I finished (re)packaging TeXLive yesterday evening smile It is updated to the latest version of all CTAN packages currently on the TeXLive svn server, and it includes a backported patch for xetex.

Now I only need to find a place where to upload the core package so that you guys can test it.

Any idea? Perhaps brain0 can help me? My private webspace is too limited, unfortunately.

Hope we can have TL in community soon (that is before the TL2008 release wink)

Cheers,
F

PS: I have identified the problem with the PKGBUILDs I put on my website and that some of you have tested: for some obscure reason one or two lines had been deleted in the build script of texlive-core, preventing the inclusion of the whole texmf tree. This occured after I had installed the package on my machine, which explains why it worked for me but not for you. Sorry about that ... But I also found several other problems that I have now fixed.

EDIT: For those interested: the whole build tree (PKGBUILDs, etc) is available here: http://ankabut.net/archlinux/texlive-pkgbuilds.zip

Last edited by Firmicus (2007-06-30 20:54:51)

#66 2007-07-01 00:08:42

dante

Hello, that are really good news, but i got this error, while doing texlive-core:

ERROR: xetex.patch was not found in the build directory and is not a proper URL.

dante

"Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch' entrate"
- Laßt jede Hoffnung hinter euch, ihr, die ihr eintretet -

Dante Alighieri

#67 2007-07-01 11:19:57

attila

For those interested: the whole build tree (PKGBUILDs, etc) is available here: http://ankabut.net/archlinux/texlive-pkgbuilds.zip

Thanks for your work and i will test it in the next possible moment.
There is only one proposal what i have: Can you use "install -d -m755" instead of "mkdir -p"? The reason is that i use "umask 007" for my users but it is no problem if it is too much work for you because it is me that use this nonstandard way.

EDIT:
1. texmf stays outside of the pkg dir. Perhaps it is better to use "cp -r texmf $startdir/pkg/opt/texlive/" instead of "cp -r texmf pkg/opt/texlive/".
2. The file "ams-bsr-interpolated.map" is missed at the end of the makepkg run.

Be you interested for a logfile (makepkg 2>&1 | tee build-texlive-core.log) and if yes where do you want to have it? Here or to an specific email adress?

Last edited by attila (2007-07-01 11:46:36)

#68 2007-07-01 11:28:26

attila

ERROR: xetex.patch was not found in the build directory and is not a proper URL.

The solution is in the middle of the PKGBUILD. I use this to get it:

svn diff svn://tug.org/texlive/tags/texlive-2007.0/Build/source \
  svn://tug.org/texlive/branches/branch2007/Build/source > xetex.patch

After this you have to delete and to refresh the lines for the md5sums.

#69 2007-07-01 13:22:03

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

dante wrote:

Hello, that are really good news, but i got this error, while doing texlive-core:

dante

Sorry I forgot to include it in the the tar.gz. Attila solved the problem, as you can see above. Now I have added xetex.patch to the zip file on my website.

attila wrote:

Thanks for your work and i will test it in the next possible moment.
There is only one proposal what i have: Can you use "install -d -m755" instead of "mkdir -p"? The reason is that i use "umask 007" for my users but it is no problem if it is too much work for you because it is me that use this nonstandard way.

OK, I can do that. But since the ownership is root:root, why not have 775 ?

attila wrote:

EDIT:
1. texmf stays outside of the pkg dir. Perhaps it is better to use "cp -r texmf $startdir/pkg/opt/texlive/" instead of "cp -r texmf pkg/opt/texlive/".
2. The file "ams-bsr-interpolated.map" is missed at the end of the makepkg run.

Be you interested for a logfile (makepkg 2>&1 | tee build-texlive-core.log) and if yes where do you want to have it? Here or to an specific email adress?

Item 1: Right. I'll add the $startdir prefix to make absolute paths. There still seems to be a minor problem with cp -r however:
The directories under opt/texlive/texmf-dist and opt/texlive/texmf have the following mode settings:
        drwxrwsr-x
which seems to come from the rsync server. So I'll need to add a

find texmf* -type d -perm -g=s -execdir chmod g-s '{}' \;

before doing the cp -r of the rsync'ed trees.
On the other hand, perhaps something like this would also do the job?

install -m755 -d $startdir/pkg/opt/texlive
find texmf* -type d -exec install -d -m755 $startdir/pkg/opt/texlive/'{}' \;
find texmf* -type f -exec install -m664 '{}' $startdir/pkg/opt/texlive/'{}' \;

item 2: I don't understand why you get this. The package I produced contains the file /opt/texlive/texmf-dist/fonts/map/dvips/ams/ams-bsr-interpolated.map

Yes I'd appreciate if you could send your logfile to « firmicus ÷AT÷ gmx ÷DOT÷ net »

Thanks for your help,
F

#70 2007-07-01 22:17:20

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

NOTE: I have temporarily removed the file texlive-pkgbuilds.zip from my website, since Atilla made me notice a few  things that need to be fixed or improved.

I am going to be away until the end of the week. I'll put the build material back on my site presumably next friday, once i have fixed all 61 PKGBUILDs. I'll remake all packages then, in the hope they can be made available for download soon.

Thanks for your patience
F

#71 2007-07-02 10:34:16

brain0
Developer

Firmicus, thanks for your email, just let me know when you have working PKGBUILDs again and I will see whether they can make it into the repos.

#72 2007-07-06 10:11:08

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

@brain0: Now back. Thanks to Attila, I have been able to make several improvements to the PKGBUILDs. I have tested the core package on a virgin system, and it appears to work fine. I will contact you soon concerning the possibility of putting the packages on the community repo. Thanks in advance!

#73 2007-07-06 22:51:31

mucknert

Wow. Great news from Firmicus, as far as I can see. I am itching to try out your Package. I guess it is not too soon to say: good work!

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#74 2007-07-11 09:00:09

Firmicus
Forum Fellow

Hello everyone,

I now finally have completed the preparation of all 61 TeXLive packages for Arch.

Details should follow soon.

F

#75 2007-07-11 11:15:39

mucknert

Whooo! I can't wait to get my hands on this.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

Board footer