You are not logged in.

#26 2009-06-18 22:30:00

jduped

Re: [solved]How to stop monitor from going to sleep

This worked for me as well

big_smile

Thanks Misfit138

The ultimate effect of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools - Herbert Spencer

#27 2010-05-12 16:35:57

strezzz

thankkk youu smile

#28 2010-05-12 17:54:23

android

Thanks a million!

I've been solving this with a lame clicky feely kind of solution:

After starting xorg, I launch xscreensaver-demo, then in the advanced tab, I turn ON and then OFF the "Power Management Enabled" check box. After this the monitor doesn't go to sleep anymore.

I knew there was some more fundamental solution.

Thanks for the tip!

android

#29 2010-05-12 23:00:47

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Whoa, more than 4 years and nearly 8000 hits on this thread...apparently still relevant though.
:)

#30 2010-05-13 02:03:14

JackH79
Website

Definitely still relevant. I hate it when software does things that it's not been asked to do, namely blanking the screen. Personally I think that goes against the *nix philosophy. Nice if you can turn it on when you want it, but having it as default ...
But maybe it's just me.

Anyway, just in case the above mentioned method doesn't work for you, this is what I've got in my .xinitrc:

xset -dpms
xset s off

Will also work when typed as commands if you work in tty (at least for me). Didn't need to fiddle around with my xorg. However, I'm running awesome, so I don't know if there is an override for DEs or maybe even other WMs.

#31 2010-05-13 03:54:55

skottish
Forum Fellow

Misfit138 wrote:

Whoa, more than 4 years and nearly 8000 hits on this thread...apparently still relevant though.
smile

When you started this thread, Arch only had six users and phrakture was still at a lowly 4985 posts.

#32 2010-05-13 06:52:28

mandog

Yes its still relevant.

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#33 2010-05-13 07:04:09

stqn
Website

I think it's a very good thing that DPMS is active as a default in Arch (I guess you're aware of that pollution thing everybody's talking about, also in summer it's nice to avoid making more heat than necessary). The problem seems to be that VLC doesn't prevent it when watching a video! Here though, blanking does _not_ start when I use VLC or SMPlayer for that matter... Unless maybe when I use my external monitor... That would be a (fixable) bug in VLC I suppose.

#34 2010-05-13 08:09:18

JackH79
Website

Not that I want to make this into a flame war!!!

But: Although I appreciate your concerns about pollution stqn (I'm a marine biologist, so I care as well -- almost by default wink ), but for me it's a matter of principle. Although I realise that many people start their computer in the morning and turn it off in the evening (if at all), I start mine when I use it and turn it off when I don't (Admittedly, this is probably mostly due to the fact that I'm running a laptop which I drag around with me all the time). I just don't want my screen to go blank, just because I haven't moved my mouse or haven't touched my keyboard for a while. Sometimes I'm reading papers on my screen, make notes, or fiddle around with data. Thus, screen blanking can be quite annoying to me.

Not that I consider this an important point though. From what I hear, most people like it to be on by default. Who am I to complain lol
But I guess it would be nice if turning things like this off were a bit easier and straight forward if they are turned on by default.

#35 2010-05-13 08:54:36

KimTjik

I'll test the suggestions later today. I've no problem with playback of DVDs, from network or hard drive. State television however stream a good part of their programs, and that's when I get this annoying blank screens, forcing me to jump up from the sofa. I don't know why but flashplayer isn't treated the same way as other applications.

#36 2010-05-13 14:46:38

stqn
Website

Ah yes, Flash videos... I think it's the player's job to somehow disable blanking, and Flash players indeed don't do that.

Now that I think of it, the screen blanker I wrote for AmigaOS several years ago did have a feature whereby you could make a list of applications that prevented the screen from blanking. Detecting if a Flash video is playing wouldn't be possible that way, though...

JackH79, I didn't mean to imply that it was a good thing that disabling blanking was difficult tongue

#37 2010-05-13 20:51:11

KimTjik

@ stqn

You're absolutely right. I wrote it backwards: of course it's Flashplayer which doesn't behave correctly.

Anyway the suggestions in this thread fixed that, so now I have to xorg.conf to switch between depending on what I need.

#38 2013-03-28 19:10:12

Ayub

Thanx Misfit138.
this worked great for me, my colleagues and I were in search of such a fix, thanx again, you were very very helpful.
permission to spread this on other forums that I've visited to help solve this problem such as here
http://askubuntu.com/questions/157629/h … 555#274555
and other places.

harlekin wrote:

xset works pretty well for that.

To control Energy Star (DPMS) features:
    -dpms      Energy Star features off
    +dpms      Energy Star features on
     dpms [standby [suspend [off]]]     
          force standby
          force suspend
          force off
          force on
          (also implicitly enables DPMS features)
          a timeout value of zero disables the mode

edit: thanks Zaffe, will try that later. (:

#39 2013-03-28 19:26:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Ayub, please don't necropost: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Bumping.27

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer