You are not logged in.

#226 2008-01-26 21:13:40

dkite

Re: Arch on Eee PC

alisou wrote:

Hi,

First, Thanks to those who write the howto or build packages. It's a great job. smile
I installed Arch on my eeepc with Fluxbox and Rox. I compiled and installed atl2, madwifi, asus_acpi and webcam drivers. LAN,WLAN,sound are functional.

Webcam:
The following command returns an error message

# echo 1 > /proc/acpi/asus/camera
bash: /proc/acpi/asus/camera: No such file or directory

I have the "/proc/acpi" directory  but the "/proc/acpi/asus" directory is missing
However, the camera still works with luvcview

acpid_eee:
I installed acpid_eee-0.0.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz.tar for to have the functional hotkeys.
So it do not work. I receive an error related to the absence of "/proc/acpi/asus" directory.
Assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks!
alisou, smile

Did you install the asus_acpi module? You need the acpid daemon running.

Derek

#227 2008-01-26 21:32:42

alisou
Website

Hi dkite,
Thanks for your help.
Yes i installed the asus_acpi module. I added asus_acpi and acpid to the daemons list in /etc/rc.conf
roll
a+, alisou

#228 2008-01-27 00:12:22

dkite

alisou wrote:

Hi dkite,
Thanks for your help.
Yes i installed the asus_acpi module. I added asus_acpi and acpid to the daemons list in /etc/rc.conf
roll
a+, alisou

asus_acpi goes in the MODULES, acpid goes in the DAEMONS.

Derek

#229 2008-01-27 00:30:39

alisou
Website

shit! It is my mistake.:mad:
Thank you dkite, smile
a+, alisou

#230 2008-01-27 07:05:42

shrd

dkite, how did you compiled the acpi module ?
i have many errors with asus_acpi 0.30 (patched) after a simple make
however, i can compile asus_osd program (is it the program that displayed graphics when we change sound volume, etc.. ?)
I have also tried asus_acpi 0.41 from sourceforge just to test if it compiles but not at all too....
do we need the asus_acpid daemon too ? or just acpid daemon
thx

#231 2008-01-27 08:49:30

vomix

Okay, I finally made it!

I'm running Arch  on my SDHC, based on the filoktetes's image.  It's fine, I've just one single fsck at boot, like everyone else using this image.
So, it was not my card (thanks god), but something else, a misconfigured file or my low-skilled capacities...!
I've also installed the latest stock kernel on it, with the latest dkite's packages, and it's running perfectly.

About the wiki:

I am the only one who had to force the installation of dkite's packages?  If no, we maybe have to edit the wiki and write pacman -Uf instead of pacman -U, it may be confusing for some people!
And what about another method of installation, without compiling anything?
- Make an usb bootable stick,
- Put the latest stock kernel on it,
- Put the latest dkite's packages on it,
- Install & reboot,
- Upgrade kernel & install eeemodules & acpid_eee,
- Enjoy!

Easy method for lazy people! lol

Finally, thanks to everyone here, especially to filoktetes and dkite, for their amazing jobs! smile

Last edited by vomix (2008-01-27 08:50:00)

#232 2008-01-27 11:27:58

alisou
Website

Hi all,

The installation is progressing well. I installed Arch on the SD card. Resolution is correct. I installed Fluxbox and Rox.
Lan, wlan, sound, webcam are functional. The installation of the acpid_eee package gives the following result:
* wlan on, wlan off, brightness down, brightness up, mute, volume up, volume down are functionals
* press the power button produce a shutdown (it's functional)
* Fn+F1 (Suspend2RAM) suspend the system. Press the power button wakes up the system but it is frozen. A reboot is necessary.
I am looking for an application that shows the status of the battery.

I am very happy. big_smile

vomix said:
Finally, thanks to everyone here, especially to filoktetes and dkite, for their amazing jobs! smile

I agree, wink

a+, alisou

#233 2008-01-27 11:40:49

DanielW

Hello,

finally i got my eee-pc :-).

Now i want to install arch on it.

I am thinking of the idea using LVM on it. LVMs "Raid0". So i use the 4 GB SSD + 4 GB from my SDHC (16 GB) to build a 8 GB /  (ok - some space for a boot partition on the ssd).  and with the rest of the SDHC with lvm or without i am very flexible. Could for example move the 4 GB to another drive (usb flash drive) to change the SDHC or resize thinks. 

I like the idea of having one bigger root partition 4 GB would in the long term not enough even if i mount /home from another drive.

And with the the lvm raid0  i woul hopefully get faster writes and reads. To reduce boot and programm start times.

But there a few things to think about:

1. The ssd is with 24 MB/s (reading) faster than my SDHC (about 16 MB/s) will that make the whole Raid0 thing useless? 

In theory not (it should be about 2 times the speed of the slowest so i should arrive at about 32 MB/s) but that is theory, what do you think about that?

2. Would the LVM be worse for my SSD? Or is it even better, because only half of the things are written there ? I am not sure. What do you think?

3. I think it would be hard to set up. Need everything to use the sd-reader in the initram. And then there is this weird unmounting problem with sd cards, which some of you wrote about. I am not sure if that will affect me.

4. Will suspend/resume make problems (remapping the device nodes for the card reader ?)

5. Is lvm support in kernel26eee?

So, should i stop even thinking about that, or should i give it a try?

DanielW

Last edited by DanielW (2008-01-27 11:44:09)

#234 2008-01-27 12:50:35

faelar
Website

I am the only one who had to force the installation of dkite's packages?  If no, we maybe have to edit the wiki and write pacman -Uf instead of pacman -U, it may be confusing for some people!

I remember some errors with files already existing, but I have installed dkite's pkg, then madwifi with -f option, and then dkite's pkg again.

For now maybe you can juste add something like "if you have errors nia nia nia use pacman -Uf instead" under the command line.

My audios keys don't seem to work, when I use fn+f7/8/9, I see the picture telling me "volume on" or "up" or "down", but the cursor stay at the minimum, and the sound of my speakers is really loud. I'm at 8% in vlc to have a good audio output volume hmm

Maybe it's just a missing package ?

#235 2008-01-27 19:52:04

shrd

dkite, i have succefully compiled the acpi module with your makefile pathched, thx.
1) the suspend to ram works fine but i had to comment the line in handlers,sh :

button/sleep)
        case "$2" in
            SLPB) 
        #    /etc/acpi/suspend2ram.sh 
            ;;

else i have a double suspend to ram, 2 in a row cause by  2 events for suspend to ram in handlers.sh , event 'sleep' and event 'fn+f1' call suspendtoram.sh both on my config

Last edited by shrd (2008-01-27 19:52:50)

#236 2008-01-27 20:31:15

dkite

shrd wrote:

dkite, i have succefully compiled the acpi module with your makefile pathched, thx.
1) the suspend to ram works fine but i had to comment the line in handlers,sh :

button/sleep)
        case "$2" in
            SLPB) 
        #    /etc/acpi/suspend2ram.sh 
            ;;

else i have a double suspend to ram, 2 in a row cause by  2 events for suspend to ram in handlers.sh , event 'sleep' and event 'fn+f1' call suspendtoram.sh both on my config

What is in /etc/acpi/events? There should be a file called anything that is the default arch event handler. It calls handler.sh. If there is another file that handles the sleep, it will cause the conflict.

Derek

#237 2008-01-27 20:36:06

dkite

faelar wrote:

I remember some errors with files already existing, but I have installed dkite's pkg, then madwifi with -f option, and then dkite's pkg again.

For now maybe you can juste add something like "if you have errors nia nia nia use pacman -Uf instead" under the command line.

My audios keys don't seem to work, when I use fn+f7/8/9, I see the picture telling me "volume on" or "up" or "down", but the cursor stay at the minimum, and the sound of my speakers is really loud. I'm at 8% in vlc to have a good audio output volume hmm

Maybe it's just a missing package ?

Don't install the arch madwifi. The kernel modules are either in my eeemodules package or the kernel26eee kernel package. Remember to match the eeemodules package with the kernel you are running.

The acpid_eee package needs to be forced. It overwrites /etc/handler.sh from the stock arch acpid package.

Not sure why the audio keys aren't working. What is your setup? Is there another mixer application that is taking over?

Derek

#238 2008-01-27 20:38:43

dkite

shrd wrote:

dkite, how did you compiled the acpi module ?
i have many errors with asus_acpi 0.30 (patched) after a simple make
however, i can compile asus_osd program (is it the program that displayed graphics when we change sound volume, etc.. ?)
I have also tried asus_acpi 0.41 from sourceforge just to test if it compiles but not at all too....
do we need the asus_acpid daemon too ? or just acpid daemon
thx

From the PKGBUILD

# install the asus_acpi modules
        cd $startdir/src
        unrar e ASUS_ACPI_071126.rar
        tar -xzf asus_acpi.tar.gz
        cd asus_acpi
        patch -p0 <../acpi.patch
        make
        install -D -m644 asus_acpi.ko $startdir/pkg/lib/modules/2.6.23-ARCH/kernel/drivers/acpi/asus_acpi.ko

You need to put acpid in the DAEMONS, asus_acpi in the MODULES.

Derek

#239 2008-01-27 21:48:57

shrd

dkite wrote:

What is in /etc/acpi/events? There should be a file called anything that is the default arch event handler. It calls handler.sh. If there is another file that handles the sleep, it will cause the conflict.

Derek

i have deleted all files in events to test, and i have a double suspend anyway except if i comment the line in handler.sh.
i have seen that asusosd program is displayed twice when i make 'htop' in terminal, normal? may be the cause..

Last edited by shrd (2008-01-27 21:52:43)

#240 2008-01-28 02:45:48

dkite

shrd wrote:
dkite wrote:

Derek

i have deleted all files in events to test, and i have a double suspend anyway except if i comment the line in handler.sh.
i have seen that asusosd program is displayed twice when i make 'htop' in terminal, normal? may be the cause..

You have to restart acpid when you change things in /etc/acpi/events. The scripts can be edited without restarting.

Derek

#241 2008-01-29 08:04:18

jochen

For those having problems to compile ucview: there's a missing dependency in the AUR package of unicap: libvorbis. Install libvorbis -> compile unicap -> compile ucview. This worked for me.

But I can't use it to record video, does this work for you?

#242 2008-01-29 09:50:50

alisou
Website

Hi,

@jochen
Ucview compilation ends with errors. I use "luvcview -f yuv" for to record video.

a+, alisou, smile

#243 2008-01-29 16:24:14

faelar
Website

Not sure why the audio keys aren't working. What is your setup? Is there another mixer application that is taking over?

I didn't do nothing more than adding my account to audio group...

Anyway, I have problems with the wifi...
rc.conf :

#lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(!eth0 !ath0)

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network hal !dhcdbd wicd netfs crond 915resolution @samba)

At home : It works
Anywhere else : wicd find the networks, I'm connected, I can ping the gateway or the others computers. But I can't go on internet, I tried with opera, firefox, and pacman -Sy, or ping http://google.com, nothing to do.

What works :
- fn+f(X), except for the sound
- Suspend (or sleep ?), when I close the laptop, I can go back to the desktop
- Audio
- Removable devices (USB sticks and SD cards)

What doesn't work :
- fn+f7/8/9
- WIFI, see above
- Sometimes bad shutdown (I know everybody is working on it)

Not tested :
- Webcam
- Video output

EDIT : Ok I think this is a bug with the /etc/resolv.conf. I empty the file, I'm connected but can't browse the web. Then as root I run dhcpcd ath0, it works. I'll test it at school tomorrow

Last edited by faelar (2008-01-29 19:34:23)

#244 2008-01-30 05:28:38

jochen

@faelar: Do you have alsa-utils installed? Theses are needed for the audio keys.

#245 2008-01-30 16:31:24

faelar
Website

Thank you audio works now !
I also succeed to connect at school, my /etc/resolv.conf is not updated, nobody now how to fix it ?

#246 2008-01-30 21:51:49

DanielW

dkite:

I am using your acpi-scripts. But there are some problems.

Suspend2ram or wlan-off hangs on rmmod ath-pci.  The process rmmod ath-pci is in state D and i am not able to kill it.

A normal shutdown is then also impossible. Need to fore the power off.

And if i understand your scripts correct Fn+F6 should start the KDE Taskmanager, that doesn't work either.

DanielW

#247 2008-01-31 05:03:20

dkite

faelar wrote:

At home : It works
Anywhere else : wicd find the networks, I'm connected, I can ping the gateway or the others computers. But I can't go on internet, I tried with opera, firefox, and pacman -Sy, or ping http://google.com, nothing to do.
EDIT : Ok I think this is a bug with the /etc/resolv.conf. I empty the file, I'm connected but can't browse the web. Then as root I run dhcpcd ath0, it works. I'll test it at school tomorrow

wicd has an option to set default nameservers. Maybe worth a try. For some reason it doesn't overwrite an existing resolv.conf, ie. one it created.

Derek

#248 2008-01-31 05:19:50

dkite

DanielW wrote:

dkite:

I am using your acpi-scripts. But there are some problems.

Suspend2ram or wlan-off hangs on rmmod ath-pci.  The process rmmod ath-pci is in state D and i am not able to kill it.

A normal shutdown is then also impossible. Need to fore the power off.

And if i understand your scripts correct Fn+F6 should start the KDE Taskmanager, that doesn't work either.

DanielW

What kernel are you using? Is your wifi working at all?

Here is what I did to get everything working. Uninstall madwifi. Install acpid, and put it in DAEMONS. Install kernel26. Install the eeemodules. Install acpid_eee, forcing the overwrite of files. My MODULES line is

MODULES=(snd-hda-intel asus_acpi atl2

atl2 is for the ethernet adapter. Restart the whole mess.

If you still have troubles try downloading the PKGBUILD's and compiling the mess.

Hmm. I think the script needs the full path to Taskmanager. I thought I had fixed that...

Ok. Here is the problem. In /etc/acpi/hotkey.sh, there is a line that says

DISPLAY=:0 /bin/su -c "/opt/kde/bin/ksysguard --showprocesses" user &

Replace 'user' with your user name. The Xandros install username is 'user'.

Any suggestions on how to automate this in the install script?

Derek

#249 2008-02-01 10:22:36

faelar
Website

Hum, I'm currently testing dual screen. On my monitor, it says "out of range" on LCD only mode, but I can clone the screen, it appears stretched but it works.
And no solution for the /etc/resolv.conf, but I'm not the only one who have problems with it.
What network manager are you using ? Maybe I should try a previous version of wicd, I'm on 1.4.1-4

#250 2008-02-01 12:19:18

shrd

wicd wait sometimes 30s to 2 mns to reconnect after suspend, very very long. Is there a good network manager that work just fine?

an other problem i have is with 915resolution : when i open some windows, they are placed completly out of range of the screen (at up and left) and i need every time to move them in center.

Board footer