You are not logged in.

#326 2008-02-19 18:13:29

luipugs

Re: Arch on Eee PC

okay, update.

i was somehow able to successfully put arch on a usb. i got to the part of installing packages. i chose base, devel, and support. when i checked the output it said that install failed since md5 checked failed on some packages. so i went and reinstalled arch on the usb. however, that was when new problems arose.

when i tried booting from the usb on the eee pc i got the message

reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.

i guess i need to document my process. i tried cfdisk /dev/sda1 first (i am sure now that this is where my usb is), but got the error

FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 0: Partition begins after end-of-disk
                          Press any key to exit cfdisk

so i did fdisk /dev/sda1 and deleted all the partitions first.

afterwards, cfdisk /dev/sda1 worked. i used all the space in the usb drive, made the partition bootable, with fat 16 partition (option 6). after writing i got the error

Wrote partition table, but re-read table failed.  Reboot to update table.

i exited and restarted cfdisk to confirm if my changes have been made, and they have. so ok.

next step is mkdosfs /dev/sda1. it exited fine, then i redid cfdisk. i found out that it erased the partition i made. is that supposed to happen? anyway, i recreated the partition but did not do mkdosfs before copying the files. and that is where i am now.

thanks for everyone keeping up with me on this. i promise your efforts will not be in vain!

#327 2008-02-19 18:52:28

fusca

Hey dklite... There's a new version of atl2 driver: 2.0.4

2008.01.28 -- 2.0.4 - build fix for 2.6.24

Which atl2 driver version your eeemodules use? Can you update it to 2.0.4? Is it necessary?

Thanks...

#328 2008-02-19 21:01:55

faelar
Website

I'm running on .24 with the last dkite's module, I have used ethernet today without any problem.

Wrote partition table, but re-read table failed.  Reboot to update table.

Remember having troubles with that, juste reboot and restart all the installation from the beginning.

#329 2008-02-19 21:41:32

ise
Developer
Website

Ok, I have found an issue on my EEE. Everything works except the internal microphone. I can speak to my microphone and I can hear me on my speakers, but for example using it in skype or any other audio recorder, nothing happens...it's just as it would be muted but it isn't. Have anybody found a solution or is it working at all? I use dkite's module.

Daniel

Last edited by ise (2008-02-19 21:42:18)

#330 2008-02-20 04:37:21

DanielW

Hello,

i have build a new kernel package for the eee. Sure there is dkites modules packages (thanks for them), but i think the use of my package has some advantages.

You don't need to use an initrd (that makes booting faster) and it contains the eee module for controlling fan speed, fsb speed and cpu voltage. It is patched to use usb persist by default. So using a sd-card as /home and suspend/resume with that works fine. (without that the device node of the card changes after resume and the mount points to nowhere).

So more infos and the pkg and pkgbuild on my site at:

http://luna.der-winti.de/eee/

Plese give feedback what should be changed in a new version (for example different kernel configure options).

Hope you like it :-)

DanielW

#331 2008-02-20 04:42:33

DanielW

ise wrote:

Ok, I have found an issue on my EEE. Everything works except the internal microphone. I can speak to my microphone and I can hear me on my speakers, but for example using it in skype or any other audio recorder, nothing happens...it's just as it would be muted but it isn't. Have anybody found a solution or is it working at all? I use dkite's module.

Have you set the alsamixer capture settings correct?

"Input So" to i-Mic
CAPTUR for Capture controll
Capture set high enough

It should work then.

DanielW

#332 2008-02-20 05:35:42

dkite

fusca wrote:

Hey dklite... There's a new version of atl2 driver: 2.0.4

2008.01.28 -- 2.0.4 - build fix for 2.6.24

Which atl2 driver version your eeemodules use? Can you update it to 2.0.4? Is it necessary?

Thanks...

Yes, it's for 2.6.24. 2.0.3 doesn't work (although it builds and modprobes) with the .24 kernel.

I'll upload a new pkg tomorrow.

Derek

#333 2008-02-20 06:02:57

ise
Developer
Website

DanielW wrote:

Have you set the alsamixer capture settings correct?

"Input So" to i-Mic
CAPTUR for Capture controll
Capture set high enough

It should work then.

Hi,

yes the settings are right. I have set everything in alsamixer. But I can't find the control "CAPTUR" for Capture controll". I have looked at all settings in alsamixer (Playback,Capture and all [changing with [tab]]), but don't find the above control. hmm Or dou you mean the "slider" CAPTUR, this is set to 100%.

Daniel

Last edited by ise (2008-02-20 06:23:14)

#334 2008-02-20 09:36:10

zodmaner

DanielW wrote:

It is patched to use usb persist by default. So using a sd-card as /home and suspend/resume with that works fine. (without that the device node of the card changes after resume and the mount points to nowhere).

This is what I've been waiting for, really, since I currently use sd-card as my /home, /tmp and /var.  Thanks for the package, DanielW. I'll try it out. smile

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-02-20 12:25:04)

#335 2008-02-20 13:08:47

mitchell

DanielW wrote:

You don't need to use an initrd (that makes booting faster)

Can you remove initrd in the stock kernel? If so, how?

#336 2008-02-20 17:53:07

DanielW

ise wrote:

Hi,

yes the settings are right. I have set everything in alsamixer. But I can't find the control "CAPTUR" for Capture controll". I have looked at all settings in alsamixer (Playback,Capture and all [changing with [tab]]), but don't find the above control. hmm Or dou you mean the "slider" CAPTUR, this is set to 100%.

Daniel

Sorry forget about everything i said.

Same problem here with 2.6.24.2. I am sure it worked with the xandros /asus default kernel on the eee.

There are reports in the eeeuser forum, that adding

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig

to modprobe.conf  solves that for some users.

Here it it stops the sound from working at all.

mitchell wrote:

That is not possible. The default arch kernel has no ext2/3 support build in, so it can not mount the / filesystem (if you use ext2/3, but other filesystems aren't there either). 

Try filoktetes or my kernel package for that.

About booting speed:

I would like to get that faster. At the moment i need about 51 seconds to boot fully into kde. I thougt about cleaning up the udev rules (there a lot which are not needed for the eee (at least for my eee)).

Other ideas?

DanielW

#337 2008-02-20 18:40:14

faelar
Website

There are many things in /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules related to cd/dvd drive.
I don't really know how udev works, but if someone can provide a clean file I'm ok to try it smile

Other ideas?

For every others steps, arch load fast. Default xandros boots in 30 sec, arch 45 sec. Udev takes 10 sec. Must be the main target for optimisation hmm

#338 2008-02-20 18:47:52

fusca

DanielW,

Can you tell us about your conf files (rc.conf and others)?

Thanks...

#339 2008-02-20 19:37:12

ise
Developer
Website

DanielW wrote:
ise wrote:

Hi,

Daniel

Sorry forget about everything i said.

Same problem here with 2.6.24.2. I am sure it worked with the xandros /asus default kernel on the eee.

There are reports in the eeeuser forum, that adding

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig

to modprobe.conf  solves that for some users.

Here it it stops the sound from working at all.

The same here. With the above settings in /etc/modprobe.conf the soundcard doesn't work at all. Anybody out there with an original Xandros on his EEE? If yes, can someone please have a look which alsa and what options are set in the /etc/modprobe.conf? Thanks....

#340 2008-02-20 23:17:46

dkite

mitchell wrote:
DanielW wrote:

You don't need to use an initrd (that makes booting faster)

No. What initrd does is load the modules necessary for booting, ie reading from the disks, filesystems, etc. If you want a non-initrd kernel, you need the drivers compiled in as opposed to as modules.

Derek

#341 2008-02-20 23:20:53

dkite

DanielW wrote:

Hello,

i have build a new kernel package for the eee. Sure there is dkites modules packages (thanks for them), but i think the use of my package has some advantages.

You don't need to use an initrd (that makes booting faster) and it contains the eee module for controlling fan speed, fsb speed and cpu voltage. It is patched to use usb persist by default. So using a sd-card as /home and suspend/resume with that works fine. (without that the device node of the card changes after resume and the mount points to nowhere).

Plese give feedback what should be changed in a new version (for example different kernel configure options).

DanielW

Fabulous. I was thinking of doing the same. I just set up a second eeepc for my daughter ( the default OS really sucks ) and used your kernel. I haven't tried the resume yet, but it boots quickly and works.

Thanks

Derek

#342 2008-02-21 03:38:09

snozle

DanielW wrote:

Hello,

DanielW

I currently have dkite's modules installed. What do I have to do to replace them with yours? Should I run pacman -Rs eeemodules? Should I remove modules from /etc/rc.conf? Thanks, can't wait to get USB Persist working.

#343 2008-02-21 05:00:48

dkite

snozle wrote:
DanielW wrote:

Hello,

DanielW

I currently have dkite's modules installed. What do I have to do to replace them with yours? Should I run pacman -Rs eeemodules? Should I remove modules from /etc/rc.conf? Thanks, can't wait to get USB Persist working.

Install it, edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst to point to the new vmlinuz. I've got ath_pci and asus_acpi in my MODULES section. Haven't tested the sound or camera, but the atl2 is built in and works without loading a module.

I'm adding a couple kernel configuration options. Hibernate, which gives suspend to disk, and CIFS. The current configuration won't log on to my linux samba.

Derek (testing as we speak)

#344 2008-02-21 06:26:14

DanielW

snozle wrote:

As dkite alread said, you can just install my package to your system. It doesn't conflict with eee-modules. They are for the arch default kernel. My packages providers a complete differnet kernel which installs itself with a different name to /boot (vmlinuz26eee) and its moduls to a different place (/lib/modules/2.6.24.2eee/). 

To use it you have to add it to your grub menu.lst file. (you don't nead the initrd line, the kernel boots without it).

And for rc.conf snd-hda-intel, (eee), asus-acpi, uvcvideo   are the only modules you need to load there for normal use. The eee module is onlie needed if you plan to use it. It is the only one which could possbile kill your hardware if you use it wrong (but i think it is save even if you disable the fan at all).

dkite wrote:

I'm adding a couple kernel configuration options. Hibernate, which gives suspend to disk, and CIFS. The current configuration won't log on to my linux samba.

I am already aware of the software suspend (for suspend to disk) problem and thanks for the hint about cifs for samba. Will add it in a new version later this day.  Other missing kernel options?

fusca wrote:

DanielW,

Thanks...

Sure i could. But i am not sure for what purpose. Would you please tell what information you need for what?

faelar wrote:

For every others steps, arch load fast. Default xandros boots in 30 sec, arch 45 sec. Udev takes 10 sec. Must be the main target for optimisation hmm

I think that starting the daemons in the background when possbile could help, too. But i am not sure what ordner and background settings are the best. Any ideas?

DanielW

#345 2008-02-21 07:41:58

luipugs

i'm finally on the road to putting arch linux onto my eee pc. i bought a new usb drive, and that was able to solve my previous problems. am now in the process of updating the system but i would probably finish with that later tonight.

in other news, i tried

pacman -Uf eeemodules-2.6.22.9-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

but i get an error saying "invalid or corrupted package". to get the ethernet and wireless drivers working i installed them separately. ethernet seems to working, not sure about wireless. as no seems to have encountered this problem i would like to ask if i had done something wrong again. wink

#346 2008-02-21 10:01:18

faelar
Website

I think that starting the daemons in the background when possbile could help, too. But i am not sure what ordner and background settings are the best. Any ideas?

my conf :

DAEMONS=(@syslog-ng !network @hal netfs crond 915resolution @samba @wicd)

network is disable because I use wicd.
wicd and samba in the background, The time I need to login and start wicd GUI, the daemon is launched smile
Don't now if I can background netfs and crond.
915 is requiered to have the good resolution, so I let it load.

#347 2008-02-21 10:49:40

vomix

Hi all,

Some feedback on this new kernel26-eee!

First, I had to install madwifi-utils, as it's required as dependency.  In fact, I had to force the install, 'cause they were some already existing files installed by dkite's eeemodules package!  Unfortunately I didn't save the logs...

- Faster boot! big_smile
- Usb persist works flawlessly!  Amazing feature, thanks a lot!
- Sound is ok.
- Didn't test wifi yet, but the fn+f2 works!
- Didn't test the fan speed, voltage, etc. control...
- Webcam doesn't work:

cat /proc/acpi/asus/camera

luvcview -f yuv -d /dev/video0
luvcview version 0.2.1
Video driver: x11
A window manager is available
video /dev/video0
ERROR opening V4L interface
: No such file or directory

lsmod | grep video shows nothing at all

modprobe uvcvideo
FATAL: Module uvcvideo not found.

So, I think that the problem is related to the uvcvideo module! (/lib/modules/2.6.24.2eee/usb/media is empty.)

My little contribution. smile

luipugs wrote:

in other news, i tried

pacman -Uf eeemodules-2.6.22.9-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

but i get an error saying "invalid or corrupted package". to get the ethernet and wireless drivers working i installed them separately. ethernet seems to working, not sure about wireless. as no seems to have encountered this problem i would like to ask if i had done something wrong again. wink

That's weird.  Sounds like a corrupted package during download.  Re-download it and try once again! Also, be sure to use the right kernel. smile

Last thing about the unclean unmount of sdhc card at shutdown:
I've tried a couple of things in rc.local.shutdown, without success (sleep, sync, etc).  I'm not familiar with those commands, so could someone post a working rc.local.shutdown?

Thanks in advance,
K.

Last edited by vomix (2008-02-21 10:50:43)

#348 2008-02-21 12:46:57

mitchell

The package installs fine on non-eee machines, but pacman claims it is corrupt on eee machines. I just compiled atl2 and insmod'ed it. Then I installed the kernel 2.6.24 eee-modules package.

#349 2008-02-21 13:01:31

vomix

@DanielW:

Just for information, I got this error when booting your custom kernel:

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24.2eee/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Anyway, everything seems to be working, except webcam! wink

#350 2008-02-21 13:48:21

fusca

DanielW wrote:
fusca wrote:

DanielW,

Thanks...

Sure i could. But i am not sure for what purpose. Would you please tell what information you need for what?

DanielW

DanielW... It's just to know the your configuration to install your eee-patched kernel.
ie: rc.conf modules and rc.conf daemons.

What about a detailed HOW TO or a step-by-step guide to conf your eee-patched kernel?
(I thought you already did it!) tongue

Sorry about my english! It's terrible! sad

Thanks again...
Fusca

Board footer