You are not logged in.

#351 2008-02-21 17:12:14

faelar
Website

Re: Arch on Eee PC

I'm on the EEE arch kernel, it works.
I do have sound, as well as wireless.
It boot faster smile
Closing the laptop, opening it and press power button, ok.
But I still have no wifi at resume (same with dkite's modules). Do I need to add wifi0 or ath0 in the list of interfaces in rc.conf ?
An no one know for the print screen key ?

EDIT :  at start it warns me "FATAL : module soundcore not found"

Last edited by faelar (2008-02-21 17:43:20)

#352 2008-02-21 21:18:06

DanielW

Hello,

new version of kernel26eee is on my site now (http://luna.der-winti.de/eee).

Changes: camera module is finally there, cifs support for samba, hibernation, powertop support.

vomix wrote:

First, I had to install madwifi-utils, as it's required as dependency.  In fact, I had to force the install, 'cause they were some already existing files installed by dkite's eeemodules package!  Unfortunately I didn't save the logs...

That happens because dkite's package has madwifi-tools in it. I think he should remove them or should add provides ('madwifi-tools') to his packages. So everything would be clean. (no offend dkite just an idea).

vomix wrote:

- Webcam doesn't work:

Yes, there something went wrong. Although i not changed the pkgbuild for that now  it is there. Seems that there were some problems with the svn when i made the pkg. Is fixed.

vomix wrote:

Last thing about the unclean unmount of sdhc card at shutdown:
I've tried a couple of things in rc.local.shutdown, without success (sleep, sync, etc).  I'm not familiar with those commands, so could someone post a working rc.local.shutdown?

I am afraid, that there is no real solution. :-(  Searched on eeeuser.com for it, found nothing really working. The best i got the work is:

remove the mount from fstab. sync and sleep 3 (and useless umount) in rc.local.shutdown. And in rc.local first make an fsck with -y and then mount the card.  That works quite well with ext3. Has nearly no effect on boot time and it seems to not lose any data. Altough it isn't really nice and is gets not cleanly unmounted, by i think because the sync and the wait all data should be written correct.

vomix wrote:

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.24.2eee/modules.dep: No such file or directory

That is weird. The modules.dep is in the package itself and in the post install function of the package depmod with -V gets called. I think that problem is on your side. Runing depmod should fix it.

fusca wrote:

DanielW... It's just to know the your configuration to install your eee-patched kernel.
ie: rc.conf modules and rc.conf daemons.

What about a detailed HOW TO or a step-by-step guide to conf your eee-patched kernel?

Well, thats is pretty much straightforward. Install the package, install dkite's acpi package. Change grubs menu.lst to use the eee kernel.  In modules you need: snd-hda-intel, asus-acpi, eee (uvcvideo gets loaded by udev). And about daemons that all depends on you, has nothing to do with the eee kernel.

Ah and you could change the sleep from 4 to 6 in the /etc/acpi/wlan.sh on loading the modules just before "load modules".

faelar wrote:

But I still have no wifi at resume (same with dkite's modules). Do I need to add wifi0 or ath0 in the list of interfaces in rc.conf ?
An no one know for the print screen key ?

EDIT :  at start it warns me "FATAL : module soundcore not found"

About wifi resume: I have the problem that after switch off wifi (either from Fn+F2 or from suspend) it doesn't come up correct the first time. The next switch off/on or suspend/resume works ok.  I think dkite could work arround that with his acpi scripts. Have no time to look deeper into that.

And about your warning message: remove "soundcore" from your modules list in rc.conf. It is already in the kernel.

I hope i havn't missed some questions. 

DanielW

#353 2008-02-22 01:33:43

dkite

I'm wondering if there is a good reason to continue with the eeemodules. DanielW has a very nice kernel which I am using. If someone has an opinion, speak up.

One of the reasons I did the eeemodules was to keep current with the Arch kernel26. That allows other things like qemu to be used. Is that your intention DanielW?

I would prefer to focus on the acpi stuff, which screams out for improvement.

Derek

#354 2008-02-22 03:48:17

toofishes
Developer
Website

DanielW, in my attempts to clean things up and make my own kernel PKGBUILD, I noticed you used a rather long way of getting the ethernet driver patched into the kernel. This might prove easier for you:

cd $startdir/src/linux-$pkgver
  # add atl2 driver
  patch -Np1 < ../atl2-2.0.4.patch
  # apply usbpersist patch
  patch -Np0 <../usbpersist.diff

EDIT: this patch is available side-by-side with the stuff you are already using, just makes it a whole lot easier to actually use.

Last edited by toofishes (2008-02-22 03:48:53)

#355 2008-02-22 05:35:07

toofishes
Developer
Website

And now for my take on the whole custom kernel/custom modules thing.

PKGBUILD and etc.:
http://code.toofishes.net/packages/kernel26eee.tar.gz

Built kernel:
http://code.toofishes.net/packages/kern … pkg.tar.gz

Before you go downloading this and go"OMG my wireless doesn't work fix it!!!", please read. I am starting simple instead of trying to make a gigantic package. If a module does not cleanly integrate with the kernel, it shouldn't be there in my opinion. I plan on building separate module packages in the near future for my custom kernel I am spinning here, but I wanted to start by just getting a working kernel developed.

Note that I was able to build asus_acpi and atl2 all in the proper kernel tree, rather than as modules. Also note that every required piece of code to boot my Eee (maybe not yours) is not compiled as a module, but is compiled directly into the kernel. Thus, I have an empty lsmod list after booting up, which I find kind of cool. I can also fire up htop at first console login and see that only 5 MB of memory are in use due to some other things I have done and cleaned up.

Feedback/comments/suggestions welcome. I would encourage us all to share ideas, even if we do not share the exact same end goal. Thanks to the others that have done stuff before me for a base PKGBUILD to go off of. I did not enable highmem as my 512MB machine would get no advantage from it. It might be interesting to do a kernelconfig diff with DanielW's kernel.

#356 2008-02-22 09:34:27

zodmaner

I like you philosophy, toofishes. smile I was thinking of modify DanielW to remove highmem support and module for controlling fan speed, fsb speed and cpu voltage my self. Will definitely gives your kernel a try.

EDIT: Hm... I got an error while trying to extract the tar file that contains your PKGBUILD, toofishes. Perhaps it is somehow corrupted?

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-02-22 09:48:26)

#357 2008-02-22 10:59:22

faelar
Website

Yeah, I'm also not able to extract it.

I'm wondering if there is a good reason to continue with the eeemodules. DanielW has a very nice kernel which I am using. If someone has an opinion, speak up.

I don't know what are the limitations of all this differents solutions. Is a module package easier to update than a custom kernel ? Not using the default arch kernel may end up with broken apps ?

It is great if everybody can works on a single way to make all the things work.

even if we do not share the exact same end goal

As a simple user, my hope is to see an easy package, just "pacman -U" and I have a working eeepc. After that, I think you could remove useless parts (like webcam if you don't use it) to have a configuration that just fits to to you.

IMHO it's time to agree on what to do smile

Oh, and again, I would like to congratulate all of you for what you do !

#358 2008-02-22 13:44:12

toofishes
Developer
Website

Whoops! Fixed the file now guys, sorry about that. It is in the same place.

http://code.toofishes.net/packages/kernel26eee.tar.gz

#359 2008-02-22 17:10:41

brotheris

DanielW wrote:
vomix wrote:

Last thing about the unclean unmount of sdhc card at shutdown:
I've tried a couple of things in rc.local.shutdown, without success (sleep, sync, etc).  I'm not familiar with those commands, so could someone post a working rc.local.shutdown?

I am afraid, that there is no real solution. :-(  Searched on eeeuser.com for it, found nothing really working. The best i got the work is:

remove the mount from fstab. sync and sleep 3 (and useless umount) in rc.local.shutdown. And in rc.local first make an fsck with -y and then mount the card.  That works quite well with ext3. Has nearly no effect on boot time and it seems to not lose any data. Altough it isn't really nice and is gets not cleanly unmounted, by i think because the sync and the wait all data should be written correct.

My solution is not clean, but works. Not clean, because I modify /etc/rc.shutdown script:

stat_busy "Unmounting Filesystems"
/bin/umount -a -t noramfs,notmpfs,nosysfs,noproc
stat_done

to

stat_busy "Unmounting Filesystems"
/bin/umount -a -t noramfs,notmpfs,nosysfs,noproc
sync;sync;sync
eject /home
sleep 3

stat_done

sync three times and sleep is for paranoia, but eject /home (my sdhc card) does the right thing :)

With your 2.6.24.2-2 kernel I get X eating 30-70% of cpu all the time. Need to investigate this issue

#360 2008-02-22 17:50:52

luipugs

i'm sorry guys.

i'm on eeexubuntu right now. it really was a much painless install for me as compared to arch.

maybe i'll give arch another chance and try and install it on my desktop.

thanks anyway. smile

#361 2008-02-22 18:18:19

elbecko
Website

Just tried DanielW's kernel. (Thanks, Daniel!!)

It takes slightly longer to boot than original kernel26eee, but still keeps around 40 + a few secs. (I'm using MOD_AUTOLOAD="no" and @daemon tricks described on http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Spe … ot#Rc.conf.)

Fn features work fine including Fn+F2. The eee module seems to work as long as I checked actual perfomance by executing glxgears. Unfortunatelly 10-minute glxgears test makes my EeePC freeze with 100 MHz FSB, though. sad

Only problem so far is graphic (X?) performance, which apparently becomes worse in certain case with this kernel. Some compiz effects run slower and konsole is redrawn a bit slowly as if I were in remote session.

701 Black 4G / 900 Black 4+16G / kernel-eee 2.6.26-1 / KDE(mod)

#362 2008-02-22 20:05:40

DanielW

Hu,

high traffic thread that.

Nice to see  a new approach on making a kernel for the eee.

Everything in the kernel was and is my goal. But as my kernel is not just for me it makes sense to have some things as module. Having them in the kernel would eat up memory.

toofishes wrote:

Before you go downloading this and go"OMG my wireless doesn't work fix it!!!", please read. I am starting simple instead of trying to make a gigantic package. If a module does not cleanly integrate with the kernel, it shouldn't be there in my opinion. I plan on building separate module packages in the near future for my custom kernel I am spinning here, but I wanted to start by just getting a working kernel developed.

The wifi module builds cleanly against kernel.  I don't understand your problem here. I haven't tried to build it directly into the kernel, but i am sure that that would also be possible. BUT if you do so, you can not disable the wifi device. But there are a lot use cases where disabling is good to save energy and gain battery runtime.

But i am happy to look into your kernel config get ideas to optimize my kernel.

dkite wrote:

One of the reasons I did the eeemodules was to keep current with the Arch kernel26. That allows other things like qemu to be used. Is that your intention DanielW?

I would prefer to focus on the acpi stuff, which screams out for improvement.

I will keep up with current stable kernel (not arch kernel) the arch modules like qemu will not work with my kernel even when i use the arch kernel source for it. (because of opimize it for pentium m).

So i see three main reasons to continue with your modules packages:

1. Your modules package is needed to install archlinux to get internet connection. Doing that with my kernel is rather complicated.
2. Using the arch modules for qemu and kvm and so. But i don't think that a lot of users will use qemu on an Eee PC. But there are other things which aren't supported by my kernel to keep it small. (some filesystems, external soundcards, ipv6, and so on.)
3. A lot of users trust in the stability and so on of the arch kernel. It is made by the offical arch devs with a lot of experince. So they would rather use a well known kernel than using one from some guy who has just build his first package.

If these reasons are strong enough depends upon your point of view. At least i like your acpi package and would like to see it improving.

zodmaner wrote:

I like you philosophy, toofishes. smile I was thinking of modify DanielW to remove highmem support and module for controlling fan speed, fsb speed and cpu voltage my self. Will definitely gives your kernel a try.

I hope you don't want to modify me but my kernel package. hmm  I though about removing highmem support cause i don't need it myself. But some guys in the aur comments for filoktetes eee kernel (is in comunity repro) needed this. Too bad, that filoktetes is  not updateing his kernel at the moment. The current version suffers from the wifi module unloading problem which makes it unusable for me.

And about the eee module it is really small (6 kb) and comes as module. If you don't load it, it just coats you 6 kilobyte or diskspace. No ram, not anything else. So no point in removing it. But i like toofishes approach, too.

faelar wrote:

Not using the default arch kernel may end up with broken apps ?

That could happen in theory.  The arch kernel has everything there as module. But normal userspace applications shouldn't need anything not there in my kernel. (ok qemu is an exception it "needs" the kqemu module).

faelar wrote:

As a simple user, my hope is to see an easy package, just "pacman -U" and I have a working eeepc.

Ok, it are two packages. My package or dkite's modules packages plus dkite's acpi-package. But i think that is easy enough.

brotheris wrote:

With your 2.6.24.2-2 kernel I get X eating 30-70% of cpu all the time. Need to investigate this issue

Uh? With 2.6.24.2-1 it was ok? A do not have this problem. But elbecko talks abouth the same problem. Here on my eee-pc it works fine...

It uses the frequency governor ondemand by default in -2. So if you are nearly idle your cpu load values are based upon the slow frequency of about 100 MHz. And if load goes up the cpu frequency doesn't catch up with that fast enough i think. Try echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

But i think that the problem is something different. To bad that here everything is fine.

elbecko wrote:

The eee module seems to work as long as I checked actual perfomance by executing glxgears. Unfortunatelly 10-minute glxgears test makes my EeePC freeze with 100 MHz FSB, though. sad

Only problem so far is graphic (X?) performance, which apparently becomes worse in certain case with this kernel. Some compiz effects run slower and konsole is redrawn a bit slowly as if I were in remote session.

Did you use the high voltage for cpu when overclocking to FSB 100? I don't overclock it, but read out fan speed and been able to set it lower or off is nice (it seems not to have a big effect an cpu temperature).

And about your x performance problem... I am lost there. Could you please try out the -1 version of my kernel to see if it is there?

It is located at http://luna.der-winti.de/eee/kernel26ee … pkg.tar.gz

DanielW

#363 2008-02-22 20:19:25

zodmaner

DanielW wrote:

I hope you don't want to modify me but my kernel package. hmm

Oops. tongue Well, that was a very, very embarrassing typo wasn't it? tongue

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-02-22 20:20:38)

#364 2008-02-23 04:04:38

dkite

I updated the 2.26.22 eeemodules package. This should work with the install iso kernel.

http://members.shaw.ca/dkite

Derek

#365 2008-02-23 04:24:40

toofishes
Developer
Website

DanielW wrote:

Hu,

high traffic thread that.

Nice to see  a new approach on making a kernel for the eee.

Everything in the kernel was and is my goal. But as my kernel is not just for me it makes sense to have some things as module. Having them in the kernel would eat up memory.

False, if I only build in what would be loaded anyway on any stock Eee. Thus I save on module loading time when booting.

DanielW wrote:
toofishes wrote:

The wifi module builds cleanly against kernel.  I don't understand your problem here. I haven't tried to build it directly into the kernel, but i am sure that that would also be possible. BUT if you do so, you can not disable the wifi device. But there are a lot use cases where disabling is good to save energy and gain battery runtime.

But i am happy to look into your kernel config get ideas to optimize my kernel.

I messed up on my word choice here. It would have been better to say "cleanly integrate with the build process". If a PKGBUILD ever looks like you are building multiple packages in it, I personally believe you are taking the wrong approach and should split it into multiple packages. This is what I meant, and I plan on building a wireless module package just for this purpose.

faelar wrote:

Not using the default arch kernel may end up with broken apps ?

I would not worry about this. Arch is not hooked to a specific kernel, it only requires that you keep your kernel relatively recent as things like udev could depend on a newer kernel.

faelar wrote:

As a simple user, my hope is to see an easy package, just "pacman -U" and I have a working eeepc.

I'm of the "one feature, one package" mantra as I stated above. This will require (for me at least) that I build a kernel package, a wireless module package, and a few other modules as packages.

#366 2008-02-23 07:20:52

toofishes
Developer
Website

#367 2008-02-23 08:11:14

brotheris

DanielW wrote:
brotheris wrote:

Uh? With 2.6.24.2-1 it was ok? A do not have this problem. But elbecko talks abouth the same problem. Here on my eee-pc it works fine...

It uses the frequency governor ondemand by default in -2. So if you are nearly idle your cpu load values are based upon the slow frequency of about 100 MHz. And if load goes up the cpu frequency doesn't catch up with that fast enough i think. Try echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

But i think that the problem is something different. To bad that here everything is fine.

Spot on! cat /proc/cpuinfo showed 112MHz. When I've changed governor, jerkiness has gone.
powertop shows most of the wakeups from PS/2 touchpad.

Oh, and I'm using xfce. Will experiment more with twm to see if problem remains smile

toofishes wrote:

If a PKGBUILD ever looks like you are building multiple packages in it, I personally believe you are taking the wrong approach and should split it into multiple packages. This is what I meant, and I plan on building a wireless module package just for this purpose.

We have some of these examples (official KDE) in ArchLinux. And installing one package is simpler to the user. Ultimately you are right, but without current enthusiasts there would be lot less possibilities :>

#368 2008-02-23 09:49:07

faelar
Website

I'm of the "one feature, one package" mantra as I stated above. This will require (for me at least) that I build a kernel package, a wireless module package, and a few other modules as packages.

Hum.. Sorry if my explanation wasn't so good. I was more thinking about something like a meta-package (I hope it's the right name for it), you do "pacman -S eee" and you end with all the needed components installed.

With your 2.6.24.2-2 kernel I get X eating 30-70% of cpu all the time.

Strange, yesterday My eeepc was "slow" when I switched from a desktop to another. Now that I'm on the default kernel it seems ok, with the same apps launched (pidgin + ff3b3). But i didn't look for CPU on htop so I can't say doubtlessly it's the same issue...

#369 2008-02-23 11:20:58

brotheris

Narrowed my "problem" down to XFCE4 Terminal, running top -d 0.5 in xterm doesn't produce such CPU usage smile
The problem seems ondemand governor
http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux … f0e4ac3544

[EDIT]
As it goes to low 100MHz, I've set
echo 30 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
It feels responsive now. Now to experiment with hibernate 8)

Last edited by brotheris (2008-02-23 11:33:31)

#370 2008-02-23 13:04:56

elbecko
Website

DanielW wrote:

Did you use the high voltage for cpu when overclocking to FSB 100? I don't overclock it, but read out fan speed and been able to set it lower or off is nice (it seems not to have a big effect an cpu temperature).

And about your x performance problem... I am lost there. Could you please try out the -1 version of my kernel to see if it is there?

Here's the result:

kernel26eee-2.6.24.2-1: < 10%
kernel26eee-2.6.24.2-2: > 30%
kernel26eee-2.6.24.2-2 w/scaling_governor=performance: < 10%

% shows overall CPU load value in idle status. X runs normally when CPU load is < 10%.

Regarding overclocking, yes, I specified high voltage option for FSB 100. Even if it doesn't work, it doesn't matter because I think it's just hardware issue.

701 Black 4G / 900 Black 4+16G / kernel-eee 2.6.26-1 / KDE(mod)

#371 2008-02-23 14:36:34

zodmaner

Well, I don't see problem with having package from dkite, DanielW and toofishes co-exists. Choice is good, right? wink

Personally, I prefers toofishes modular design, easier to customize, easier to maintain and easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong (same reason why I like dkite package), but I also understand that it is more convenient for user if they had to install only one package. Still, I believe that with a good document, install 1 or 3 package is not that much different.

Any way, all 3 packages have their purpose and serve different needs. dkite eeemodules package is essential for use during install. For new user  who never use Arch before, install modules package is easier then install custom kernel package. dkite package is also suitable for people who wishes to stick with the 'stock' kernel, while toofishes and DanielW custom kernel package are good for more "advance" user, who wishes to use kernel that is optimized for EEE.

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-02-23 19:16:07)

#372 2008-02-24 11:12:19

faelar
Website

toofishes, I tried 3 times to download the pkg but it doesn't work, don't know why. Anyway, I downloaded the sources and make the pkg myself, it goes smoothly (but compiling on a EEE take a little time wink ).
Boot is really fast indeed, and wifi works well.
Then I tried to suspend but couldn't manage to have the interface up again (enable/disable trick doesn't work, at least for me...)
If you want me to test specifics points, just ask smile

#373 2008-02-24 14:59:55

alisou
Website

Hi,
@dkite
I want to compile driver for asus_acpi for 2.6.24-kernel. Do you used an asus_acpi.patch for 2.6.24-kernel? if so can you tell me where is the asus_acpi.pacth file? I searched with Google, I have not yet found.
Thanks for your help.
alisou, smile

EDIT:
I will see this acpi.patch file. I will try patching with it., big_smile

Last edited by alisou (2008-02-24 15:16:28)

#374 2008-02-24 15:40:58

toofishes
Developer
Website

faelar wrote:

toofishes, I tried 3 times to download the pkg but it doesn't work, don't know why. Anyway, I downloaded the sources and make the pkg myself, it goes smoothly (but compiling on a EEE take a little time wink ).
Boot is really fast indeed, and wifi works well.
Then I tried to suspend but couldn't manage to have the interface up again (enable/disable trick doesn't work, at least for me...)
If you want me to test specifics points, just ask smile

Hmm, at least one other person had downloaed the packages successfully, I'll have to look into that.

You are aware you can compile them on another box? I compile the packages on my desktop machine and then install them on my Eee.

I haven't started looking into ACPI stuff too much yet, but I believe dkite has some ACPI scripts that might help us out there.

I noticed sound doesn't work locally- that might need fixing too. Let me know if you see something different.

#375 2008-02-24 16:23:22

faelar
Website

You are aware you can compile them on another box?

Not if the "other box" is in my room, and it means going upstairs wink

With your kernel :
- Time from the input on the power button to the login prompt : 22 sec
- Time from the input on the "enter" key to my Xdesktop with panel and co : 5 sec
- Total : 27 sec wink

Else, playing with Fn+F2 give me really stranges results.
My wireless won't go up again, and eth0 is also disable !
ifconfig eth0 works.
ifconfig wifi0 or ath0 up doesn't.
Adding wifi0 and ath0 in rc.conf (with a ! for both) changes nothing.

I'll try doing the same on the default kernel with dkite's package, but as far as I remember, it works on the second attempt to recover wireless...

EDIT :

With default kernel :
- Time from the input on the power button to the login prompt : 46 sec
- Time from the input on the "enter" key to my Xdesktop with panel and co : 5 sec
- Total : 51 sec sad

eth0 never go down.
wifi0 is up again on the next use of Fn+F2, but I wasn't able to access this page. I don't think it's related to acpi because I was connected again on wicd, and since my dhcp problem is not fixed... (I found a solution on this forum but I didn't tried it yet).

Last edited by faelar (2008-02-24 16:56:07)

Board footer