You are not logged in.

#151 2008-01-13 11:38:41

zodmaner

Re: Arch on Eee PC

galdor wrote:

I just tried to install kernel26eee, which tries to install madwifi-utils, then fails saying there are file conflicts between those two packages (some file from madwifi).
How am I supposed to do ? sad

This:

pacman -Sf kernel26eee

should do the trick. wink

UPDATE: Oh and galdor, have you manages to get ucview to complied? If not I can send my precomplied ucview package to you (via email or something).

Also dkite, I've tried out your new acpid_eee package but the wifi still doesn't work after suspend for me. sad

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-01-13 12:07:10)

#152 2008-01-13 12:24:45

galdor
Website

zodmaner wrote:

This:

pacman -Sf kernel26eee

should do the trick. wink

UPDATE: Oh and galdor, have you manages to get ucview to complied? If not I can send my precomplied ucview package to you (via email or something).

Also dkite, I've tried out your new acpid_eee package but the wifi still doesn't work after suspend for me. sad

Now kernel26eee works, and seems to works perfectly.
For ucview, nope, it does not compile, and i can't find why. Please, can you mail me the bin package ?

Thank you.

Last edited by galdor (2008-01-13 12:25:29)

#153 2008-01-13 17:19:45

Kitty

Still no joy on sound. I only have seq & timer in /dev/snd/, if that's a clue. esd didn't change anything. sad Odd that it's broke, I guess I missed something.

Is there a battery monitor for the tray that doesn't rely on a desktop package? I've decided to desktopless, with just icewm + thunar, but still have a tray for stuff. I have battery % and temp in my bash prompt, but would like an icon in the tray too.

/etc/rc.d/ is where daemons reside. Beware.

#154 2008-01-13 17:36:40

zodmaner

Kitty: I got this tips from the Arch WiKi on Eee.

Try add the following line into your /etc/modprobe.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack-dig

Also, I've updated the Wiki with an instruction on how to install xf86-video-i810 driver, could somebody please gives me some feed back on it? smile

#155 2008-01-13 17:50:32

Kitty

Zod, I already had that in there, plus I had added myself to the audio group.

#156 2008-01-13 18:06:47

zodmaner

Hm... maybe try 'modprobe snd_hda_intel'?

Also, what is your MODULES=() array in /etc/rc.conf looks like? Did it have all the sound related modules in it?

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-01-13 18:07:49)

#157 2008-01-13 18:52:29

brushedtooth

zodmaner wrote:

brushedtooth: Did you add asus_acpi to MODULES=() array in /etc/rc.conf?

Kitty: Try install esd and start it by add it to the DAEMONS=() array in /etc/rc.conf and restart. My sound works after I enable esd in GNOME and restart.

Thanks I forgot about that module.

EDIT: Derek there seems to be an error in the /etc/acpi/wlan.sh when recreating ath0 you have ath, which doesn't recreate the device correctly, I changed it to ath0 and re-enabling wifi works as with it as ath didn't.

EDIT2: Under poweron) where it reads wlanconfig ath create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta nosbeacon and changed the ath to ath0.

Last edited by brushedtooth (2008-01-13 19:04:06)

#158 2008-01-13 22:03:23

dkite

brushedtooth wrote:

EDIT: Derek there seems to be an error in the /etc/acpi/wlan.sh when recreating ath0 you have ath, which doesn't recreate the device correctly, I changed it to ath0 and re-enabling wifi works as with it as ath didn't.

EDIT2: Under poweron) where it reads wlanconfig ath create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta nosbeacon and changed the ath to ath0.

Hmm. Are you using the kernel26eee kernel? I'm wondering what is different from my system.

Was/is madwifi installed?

Derek

#159 2008-01-13 22:08:20

brushedtooth

Using default arch kernel, and have madwifi installed.

#160 2008-01-13 22:58:52

Kitty

MODULES=(ath_hal ath_pci asus_acpi wlan snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-intel soundcore)

I think that's all of them.

#161 2008-01-14 00:06:26

dkite

brushedtooth wrote:

Using default arch kernel, and have madwifi installed.

The kernel modules or kernel26eee replace madwifi modules and the system will work without madwifi installed.

I'll test the s/ath/ath0/ change on my machine to see if it works. I don't have madwifi installed.

Thanks

Derek

#162 2008-01-14 02:43:34

brushedtooth

Derek, turns out it does work as ath I just wasn't giving it enough time between disabling and enabling wireless.  Thank you for making the pkgbuilds, they make using the eeepc perfect now!

#163 2008-01-14 04:24:54

Kitty

Ok, that was a fun learning experience. Now to do it for real, with disk encryption. Hopefully sound will come on with the reinstall.

#164 2008-01-15 00:15:20

Kitty

Sound works! I had to take out the options line in modprobe.conf, strangely enough.

I'm on kernel26eee right now, seems to be working ok. The only thing now is that if I want to access my camera (via gtkam) I have to reboot into kernel26. But because of the file conflicts between kernel26eee and kernel26+eeemodules there's no networking/etc. So I just have to transfer my photos and reboot. I'm not sure which module is responsible for this.

Maybe kernel26eee should be rebuild using the factory config as a starting point?

#165 2008-01-15 16:06:00

suadeo

Ok, having some trouble getting my wireless up and running. I patched madwifi, got it installed, and then rebooted. I check and ath_pci and ath_hal are up and running. I check iwconfig and ifconfig and I see nothing (just lo). I am not sure what other information you guys will need, but any help will be much appreciated.

#166 2008-01-15 20:33:12

zodmaner

dkite, I tried out the new acpid_eee package and wireless is still not working after resume from suspend. I had to turn wireless off and on using the hotkey to get it working again.

On the side note, asusosd seems to be working perfectly after resume from suspend now. smile

#167 2008-01-16 05:04:45

Kitty

Here's a much cleaned up xorg.conf file. It's a hybrid of the stock xandros and Xorg -configure. If a few people could test it, maybe it could be wikified as a copy&paste reference standard.

It still requires the 915resolution hack, btw.

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "ArchLinux"
    Screen      0  "Screen0"
    InputDevice    "keyboard"
    InputDevice    "mouse"
    InputDevice    "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath     "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load  "glx"
    Load  "dri"
    Load  "extmod"
    Load  "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option        "AllowMouseOpenFail"
    Option        "BlankTime" "5"
    Option        "DontVTSwitch"    "true"
    Option        "AIGLX"   "false"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "keyboard"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
    Option        "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option      "XkbVariant" ""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "mouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option        "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "synaptics"
    Driver      "synaptics"
    Option      "Device"           "/dev/psaux"
    Option      "Protocol"         "auto-dev"
    Option      "LeftEdge"         "1000"
    Option      "RightEdge"        "5400"
    Option      "TopEdge"          "1000"
    Option      "BottomEdge"       "4900"
    Option      "PalmDetect"       "0"
    Option      "SHMConfig"        "true"
    Option      "SendCoreEvents"   "yes"    
    Option      "HorizScrollDelta" "0"    
    Option      "RBCornerButton"   "0"
    Option      "RTCornerButtom"   "0"
    Option      "MaxSpeed"         "0.1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    VendorName   "ASUS"
    ModelName    "eeePC P701"
    Modeline     "800x480"  29.58  800 816 896 992  480 481 484 497  -HSync +Vsync # 60 Hz
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "i810"
    VendorName  "Intel Corporation"
    BoardName   "Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller"
    BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Card0"
    Monitor    "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     1
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     4
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     8
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     15
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     16
    EndSubSection
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
    Mode         0666
EndSection

Last edited by Kitty (2008-01-16 05:32:35)

#168 2008-01-16 05:14:21

zodmaner

Looks good to me. smile

Also, since this one will have to be use with 915resolution hack anyway, perhapses we should just edit the screen section to be ready to use with the hack without any further edit?

Something like this:

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "Screen0"
       Device     "Card0"
       Monitor    "Monitor0"
       DefaultDepth     24
       SubSection "Display"
               Depth     16
               Modes    "640x480"
       EndSubSection
EndSection

Should be ok.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-01-16 05:15:33)

#169 2008-01-16 05:39:47

Kitty

I added the 'DefaultDepth 24" line in but personally, I like having all depths rely on vewport max rez. That way if you do step down for some reason, then Xorg won't spaz.

As a standard reference, it should be more complete than not, IMHO.

Although it would be nice not to need the 915 hack, I guess that would involve going back to the not-i810 driver (forgot the name), and breaking the things that i810 fixes. >_<

#170 2008-01-16 05:58:20

zodmaner

Kitty wrote:

I added the 'DefaultDepth 24" line in but personally, I like having all depths rely on vewport max rez. That way if you do step down for some reason, then Xorg won't spaz.

As a standard reference, it should be more complete than not, IMHO.

Although it would be nice not to need the 915 hack, I guess that would involve going back to the not-i810 driver (forgot the name), and breaking the things that i810 fixes. >_<

I see. Well, if it works with the 915 hack then I have no problem. smile

#171 2008-01-16 11:27:02

Jacek Poplawski
Website

I am going to buy eeepc when it will be available in Europe. Could you summarize what exactly is needed to install Arch on it? How do you install base system?

#172 2008-01-16 12:32:52

zodmaner

Jacek Poplawski wrote:

I am going to buy eeepc when it will be available in Europe. Could you summarize what exactly is needed to install Arch on it? How do you install base system?

Basically you need:
- USB thumb drive (512MB minimal, 2GB preferable)
- Madwifi driver and Eee patch which you can get from here: http://madwifi.org/attachment/ticket/16 … ormat=raw' and here: http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi-ng … 018.tar.gz
- If you want to use dkite Eee modules package then you should also download them from his website: http://members.shaw.ca/dkite

External CD-ROM drive will make your job easier, but not necessary.

My installation steps:

- Follow this guide: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … _USB_stick in order to create a bootable USB to use for installation, using Don't Panic iso. Don't forget to copy Madwifi driver, the patch and dkite's modules package (if you decided to use it) to your USB stick.

- Boot from USB into Arch installer and do a normal installation routine and create partition, etc. use ext2 as file system and don't create any swap on your SSD. You can create any partition you like but I just deleted two Xandros partitions and creates one big 4GB one. I leave the BIOS partition alone (you can delete it if you want to).

- In package selection,install devel & support in addition to the base package. devel is needed to compiled various Eee's modules and support for wireless support. You can leave out all of the wireless drivers, including madwifi one, because we gonna install one just for Eee.

- After those steps, install normally. After boot into your newly installed Arch, you should noticed that the network (both wired and wireless) is not working. We need to install Madwifi driver in order to get the wireless to work (we can't use dkite's package yet because it required kernel 2.6.23-ARCH). mount your usb and change into directory that contains Madwifi driver and do the following:

tar zxvf madwifi-ng-r2756-20071018.tar.gz
cd madwifi-ng-r2756-20071018
patch -p0 < ../madwifi-ng-0933.ar2425.20071130.i386.patch\?format\=raw
make clean
make
sudo make install

Add the wireless interfact (ath0) into your /etc/rc.conf and restart, and now you should have a working wireless connection.

- Update your system and restart. Noticed that after restart your network stop working again. This is because the update also update your kernel (from 2.6.22-ARCH to 2.6.23-ARCH). Change directory into the one that contains dkite Eee modules packages and install it with 'pacman -U' and add 'asus_acpid' to your MODULES=() array in /etc/rc.conf. Restart your system and your network (along with many other things) should now work.

And, well, that's it! smile Now you have a working Arch Linux base system. You might want to install dkite acpid_eee package for hotkey, suspend and resume support.

PS. Could you guys please give me a feed back on this? I think we should post something similar (but better written, of course tongue ) to Arch Wiki in order to help people install Arch on Eee.

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-01-16 13:07:53)

#173 2008-01-16 16:05:11

fusca

SHUTTING DOWN PROBLEMS!!!

People,

When I shutdown the Archlinux system, the shutdown scripts are executed normally buy the eee still remains turned on (the power indicator led is ON buy the LCD OFF).

What can I do to solve this?

Thanks.

=========================================
Original eee 702 | 8g | 7C | pearl white | 1GB RAM | BIOS 0201

#174 2008-01-16 16:19:34

Jacek Poplawski
Website

I don't like idea of manually patching, someone should make AUR packages or maybe later put them into core/extra. Currently I can't work on it, because eeepc is not available in Europe sad

#175 2008-01-16 16:34:34

zodmaner

fusca wrote:

SHUTTING DOWN PROBLEMS!!!

People,

When I shutdown the Archlinux system, the shutdown scripts are executed normally buy the eee still remains turned on (the power indicator led is ON buy the LCD OFF).

What can I do to solve this?

Thanks.

=========================================
Original eee 702 | 8g | 7C | pearl white | 1GB RAM | BIOS 0201

Easy mate. This is a very well known problem.

Just put this line:

rmmod snd_hda_intel

into your /etc/rc.local.shutdown file and your problem should disappears. smile

Jacek Poplawski wrote:

I don't like idea of manually patching, someone should make AUR packages or maybe later put them into core/extra. Currently I can't work on it, because eeepc is not available in Europe sad

dkite eeemodule is a package. You can see for yourself at his site: http://members.shaw.ca/dkite/

It can be install/remove just like any other packages form AUR.

You only need to install a patched Madwifi driver once in order to get the network working (until Madwifi officially supports Eee PC hardware, that is). After that you can use the package and have a 'clean' Arch Linux environment. smile

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-01-16 16:44:27)

Board footer