You are not logged in.

#201 2008-01-23 21:28:30

saten
Website

Re: Arch on Eee PC

hi zodmaner, i'm using kernel26eee so i can provide active feedback on it. i can't test the wireless network for now but using RutilT i can only set the managed mode (why?). there should be a package which activates the special keys for wireless, display on/off ecc supported by the kernel, don't you think so?

by the way i'm not experiencing any of the problems with audio modules, and i'm not loading anything in rc.conf.

anyone else is using the "intel" driver in the xorg.conf?

#202 2008-01-23 21:39:05

Theq629

saten wrote:

I'd like to ask you if there's a way to fix the cpu throttling. i've installed cpufreqd and it starts defaults with performance governor, and cpufreq-info shows that the frequency range is 900MHz - 900 MHz. I can change this using "cpufreq-set -d 112500". is there a smarter way?
saten

I seem to be getting automatic cpu scaling just by inserting the p4-clockmod module and running

echo ondemand >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

and not using any daemons. Or at least cpufreq-info reports varying speeds which seem to match the load. I'm not sure if this is a good way to do things, though.

#203 2008-01-23 22:03:05

txus

zodmaner wrote:

Great tip txus! big_smile

May I add it to the Wiki? smile

Of course!
But more people should check if all is fine...

See ya!

#204 2008-01-24 05:29:56

dkite

shrd wrote:

hello all, i have installed archlinux + fluxbox and all is fine.
I am interested to activate fn+2  button to kill/open wifi.
What is the command to kill wifi :  echo 0 >/proc/............... ?
Is the acpi patch can solve this ?

You need the acpi patch, and to load asus_acpi.

Look at the tarball for the acpi pkgbuild on http://members.shaw.ca/dkite

Look for wlan.sh. It unloads the modules and turns the radio off, and visa versa to turn it back on.

Derek

#205 2008-01-24 05:39:39

dkite

saten wrote:

hi zodmaner, i'm using kernel26eee so i can provide active feedback on it. i can't test the wireless network for now but using RutilT i can only set the managed mode (why?). there should be a package which activates the special keys for wireless, display on/off ecc supported by the kernel, don't you think so?

by the way i'm not experiencing any of the problems with audio modules, and i'm not loading anything in rc.conf.

The intel driver gave me odd brightness issues.

Not sure about the wireless modes. The modules are from madwifi, so whatever they support. The acpid_eee pkg or pkgbuild on http://members.shaw.ca/dkite/ supports all the hot keys and on off button. Haven't done the monitor plugin resolution change yet.

Derek

#206 2008-01-24 05:45:21

zodmaner

faelar wrote:

I can't test if it works, but I was thinking of something like that...
Another question, can I launch air-crack, kismet & cie with dkites pkg or do I need to install a patched version of madwifi or something else ?

I have tried out kismet on Eee and it seems that kismet work just fine with dkite eeemodules package. No need to use patched madwifi or anything.

Last edited by zodmaner (2008-01-24 05:51:37)

#207 2008-01-24 09:47:50

saten
Website

dkite wrote:
saten wrote:

The intel driver gave me odd brightness issues.

Not sure about the wireless modes. The modules are from madwifi, so whatever they support. The acpid_eee pkg or pkgbuild on http://members.shaw.ca/dkite/ supports all the hot keys and on off button. Haven't done the monitor plugin resolution change yet.

Derek

with my double screen configuration  the Fn+F5 switch causes the external monitor to become black two times in a few seconds then back normal. nothing happens to the internal display. actually i'm just using xrandr to turn off the internal one when i'm using compiz. the other hotkeys seem to run fine.
when i press the power button it doesn't ask me for what to do, it justs closes the session and then the screen become black. then i can only hold it pressed until the pc is off. any tips?

still i'm not loading audio modules at boot time, using kernel26eee

#208 2008-01-24 13:27:11

faelar
Website

I need some help...
I have successfully installed Arch on my EEE, but I can't do nothing because the network don't work sad

I have mounted the usbstick, pacman -U "dkite's package" and then depmod. It shows no error. After that I reboot the laptop...
It warned me about ath_hal, ath_pci and wlan (don't no if I need to disable the 3 modules with a "!" or not hmm)
It also show something about asus_acpi.

A "ifconfig" only give me information about "lo", no "eth0" anywhere.
my rc.conf :

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

For the wiki, organisation of the whole content is a bit confuse. Adding an exemple of fstab could be a good idea.

EDIT : fn + F3/F4 works...

Last edited by faelar (2008-01-24 13:49:28)

#209 2008-01-24 14:00:43

vomix

faelar wrote:

I need some help...
I have successfully installed Arch on my EEE, but I can't do nothing because the network don't work sad

I have mounted the usbstick, pacman -U "dkite's package" and then depmod. It shows no error. After that I reboot the laptop...
It warned me about ath_hal, ath_pci and wlan (don't no if I need to disable the 3 modules with a "!" or not hmm)

my rc.conf :

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

For the wiki, organisation of the whole content is a bit confuse. Adding an exemple of fstab could be a good idea.

Did you upgrade your system with the latest kernel before installing dkites packages?
Even without network it's pretty simple: just put the package on a usb stick, then pacman -U kernel26-2.6.23.14-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz should do the trick.

After that reboot and then pacman -Uf eeemodules-0.0.1-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz (I had to force the upgrade, the system was complaining about already existing files.  And don't forget to run depmod, and add asus_acpi to your modules line).  Finally reboot and everything must be working! smile

Personnaly I have some different problem:

I've done a successful base install on a sdhc card, with grub installed on the SDHC too, but there's something wrong:

I have to do a fsck everytime after using my system, because grub (and even xandros) won't recognize the filesystem (ext2) of my root partition...  I think it may have relations with the shutdown process, who said that / can't be properly unmounted... (I hope that this sentence is understandable tongue)
Could someone enlighten me?

Last edited by vomix (2008-01-25 08:28:27)

#210 2008-01-24 14:07:12

faelar
Website

Yes, I'm on the wrong kernel, I'm trying to change it right now but I have the following error :
missing package metadata

I'll redownload the package and try again hmm

#211 2008-01-24 17:15:52

elbecko
Website

Regarding unclean shutdown process, I found that placing two simple commands just after "remounting root" line in /etc/rc.shutdown makes it clean.

/bin/mount -n -o remount,ro /
# Added following two lines.
/bin/sync
/bin/sleep 1

(Sleep time may vary according to your system? I'm booting from SDHC.)

I don't know if it's a right approach. Looks so ad hoc. However, it works for me at least. This "(re)mount -> sync -> sleep -> halt" sequence is from my SUSE box's /etc/init.d/halt. (SUSE uses usleep actually.) Its comment states, "wait a few seconds to give harddisks the chance".

BTW this is my first post here. Hello guys and sorry for my *unclean* English. smile

701 Black 4G / 900 Black 4+16G / kernel-eee 2.6.26-1 / KDE(mod)

#212 2008-01-24 18:09:51

vomix

elbecko wrote:

Regarding unclean shutdown process, I found that placing two simple commands just after "remounting root" line in /etc/rc.shutdown makes it clean.

/bin/mount -n -o remount,ro /
# Added following two lines.
/bin/sync
/bin/sleep 1

(Sleep time may vary according to your system? I'm booting from SDHC.)

I don't know if it's a right approach. Looks so ad hoc. However, it works for me at least. This "(re)mount -> sync -> sleep -> halt" sequence is from my SUSE box's /etc/init.d/halt. (SUSE uses usleep actually.) Its comment states, "wait a few seconds to give harddisks the chance".

BTW this is my first post here. Hello guys and sorry for my *unclean* English. smile

Hi,

Thanks for your answer, I've tried to add those two lines to my rc.local.shutdown (the first one wasn't present, I don't know if it's normal) but without success... sleep 1 or sleep 5, it still mess up my root file system!
So, if someone could help me, it would be nice.  I'm stuck with this stupid problem although my system's running!!
I don't know if it's really due to the shutdown process or something else (misconfigured files, kernel, or so...) but it's really annoying.
Did someone here run arch on an sdhc card with grub installed on it?  If yes, what's the trick?  Must I use persistent device block naming (uuid)? or something else?

What's the problem?! lol

Last edited by vomix (2008-01-24 20:55:41)

#213 2008-01-25 01:58:45

dkite

saten wrote:

with my double screen configuration  the Fn+F5 switch causes the external monitor to become black two times in a few seconds then back normal. nothing happens to the internal display. actually i'm just using xrandr to turn off the internal one when i'm using compiz. the other hotkeys seem to run fine.
when i press the power button it doesn't ask me for what to do, it justs closes the session and then the screen become black. then i can only hold it pressed until the pc is off. any tips?

Are the audio modules loading? udev may load them iirc. I couldn't get a shutdown until I unloaded them explicitely in /etc/rc.local.shutdown.

Could you give me the xrandr commands that work for you? Or try editing the /etc/acpi/hotkey.sh to get it working and let us know what you did.

The power button shutdown looks for kde, is exists calls dcop ksmserver to initiate shutdown which gives some choices. If kde isn't running it does an init 0 to shut the machine down. Look at the /etc/acpi scripts, and if you have a better way let us know.

Derek

#214 2008-01-25 03:20:02

brownkenny

vomix wrote:
faelar wrote:

I need some help...

my rc.conf :

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)

Did you upgrade your system with the latest kernel before installing dkites packages?
Even without network it's pretty simple: just put the package on a usb stick, then pacman -U kernel26-2.6.23.14-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz should do the trick.

After that reboot and then pacman -Uf eeemodules-0.0.1-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz (I had to force the upgrade, the system was complaining about already existing files.  And don't forget to run depmod, and add asus_acpi to your modules line).  Finally reboot and everything must be working! smile

Personnaly I have some different problem:

I've done a successfule base install on a sdhc card, with grub installed on the SDHC too, but there's something wrong:

I have to do a fsck everytime after using my system, because grub (and even xandros) won't recognize the filesystem (ext2) of my root partition...  I think it may have relations with the shutdown process, who said that / can't be properly unmounted... (I hope that this sentence is understandable tongue)
Could someone enlighten me?

I had a similar problem. I had my / and /boot/ partitions on the SSD and /home/ and /opt/ on my SDHC card.  I ran into problems because the SDHC card wasn't unmounting correctly at shutdown.  I solved it by only having my /boot/ and / partitions in my fstab file and I mounted /home/ and /opt/ in /etc/rc.local

Maybe you could try keeping only your / partition in fstab and mounting the other partitions in /etc/rc.local?

#215 2008-01-25 03:38:17

elbecko
Website

vomix wrote:

Thanks for your answer, I've tried to add those two lines to my rc.local.shutdown (the first one wasn't present, I don't know if it's normal) but without success... sleep 1 or sleep 5, it still mess up my root file system!

I mean, not rc.local.shutdown but rc.shutdown.

I'm booting from SDHC with grub installed on it. However, my Arch on SDHC is made from filoktetes's image file. So I don't have any grub-related problem.

#216 2008-01-25 09:27:40

saten
Website

dkite wrote:
saten wrote:

Are the audio modules loading? udev may load them iirc. I couldn't get a shutdown until I unloaded them explicitely in /etc/rc.local.shutdown.

Could you give me the xrandr commands that work for you? Or try editing the /etc/acpi/hotkey.sh to get it working and let us know what you did.

The power button shutdown looks for kde, is exists calls dcop ksmserver to initiate shutdown which gives some choices. If kde isn't running it does an init 0 to shut the machine down. Look at the /etc/acpi scripts, and if you have a better way let us know.

Derek

The only xrandr command i'm using is: xrandr --output LVDS --off
which causes both screens to turn off and then only the external one on.

I've tried some other commands to switch back to the internal one  but i had no luck.

I don't know if this matters, but i remember you that i'm using the intel video driver (now the one in testing) with no problems at all. The i810 causes the Eee to scan&pan a display with the virtual resolution of my external one, and the external one is forced to something like 800x480 too.

edit: i've found that the powrbtn script works with the default kernel26, with kernel26eee it hangs.
maybe it should be better if it asks you what to do rather than just going shutdown.

could someone tell me if kernel26eee is going to include those i2c* modules needed by eeepc-linux to work?

Last edited by saten (2008-01-25 09:48:02)

#217 2008-01-25 09:33:13

lloeki
Website

I seem to be getting automatic cpu scaling just by inserting the p4-clockmod module and running

echo ondemand >  /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

and not using any daemons.

don't fear, it is right. cpu daemons are useless, most of time people use them for just that, and as configuration tools to set the values of minfreq, maxfreq and so on. if they were really used as daemons they would use userpsace governor, and close to no people use them as such since ondemand and conservative + sysfs interface is more than enough.

personnally I just use cpufreq-set from cpufrequtils package as a wrapper instead of echo'ing to sysfs.

To know recursion, you must first know recursion.

#218 2008-01-25 10:22:50

faelar
Website

Ok, first, I'm really proud to be an archer when I see how great is the arch community ! Thank you everybody for all what you do !

Now that I'm enjoying arch on my laptop, I have some ideas to improve the wiki :
- Add a bigger warning for the kernel version for the dkite's module
- Upload the xorg.conf somewhere in order to "wget" it
- Madwifi is needed before installing the module if you want wireless network. The user should download it.

Is someone using the xfce-battery-plugin ? It displays the right % but time stays on 00:00

#219 2008-01-25 10:35:55

saten
Website

faelar wrote:

Ok, first, I'm really proud to be an archer when I see how great is the arch community ! Thank you everybody for all what you do !

Now that I'm enjoying arch on my laptop, I have some ideas to improve the wiki :
- Add a bigger warning for the kernel version for the dkite's module
- Upload the xorg.conf somewhere in order to "wget" it
- Madwifi is needed before installing the module if you want wireless network. The user should download it.

Is someone using the xfce-battery-plugin ? It displays the right % but time stays on 00:00

there's some kind of bug about the battery, not only in arch. i think is related to acpid, try to read the bat0 info in /proc/acpi/battery/..

i would upload my xorg.conf, but first i'd like to discuss here which driver is effectively better to use, since intel and i810 exclude one the other.

i repeat, i'm using an external 19" with 1440x900 using intel (both testing and extra) with no issues at all. some reported problems, i have problems with the i810 one (maybe misconfigured?). and i can even use compiz with intel driver.

#220 2008-01-25 11:56:49

Jacek Poplawski
Website

Is xorg.conf really used today? I am asking, because on my desktop machine resolutions stored in xorg.conf aren't used at all.

#221 2008-01-25 12:24:13

saten
Website

Jacek Poplawski wrote:

Is xorg.conf really used today? I am asking, because on my desktop machine resolutions stored in xorg.conf aren't used at all.

afaik xorg.conf is useless until xorg-server correctly autodetects the proper settings.

it's though good to have it. a few weeks ago both xorg-server and ati open drivers were broken after upgrading on my other laptop and it was a pain to fix everything without a configured xorg.conf

#222 2008-01-25 13:56:49

vomix

elbecko wrote:

I mean, not rc.local.shutdown but rc.shutdown.

I'm booting from SDHC with grub installed on it. However, my Arch on SDHC is made from filoktetes's image file. So I don't have any grub-related problem.

Yep, even in rc.shutdown and sleep 10, it doesn't work.
I made another fresh arch install on the same sdhc card, but with a separate boot partition.  Thus, my boot partition isn't broked up each time, and I can boot.  But it naturally ends with a kernel panic ('cause the fs of my root partition is still messed up at each shutdown...).  Anyway, here's the log of the kernel panic:

EXT2-fs error (device sdb2): ext2_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 1 not in group (block 0)!
EXT2-fs: group descriptors corrupted!
Unable to mount root fs on device sdb2 (8,18)

After that, I have to fsck the sdhc card on xandros to repair it.  Then, the boot of arch kernel ask me to do another fsck, and reboot.  After this reboot, my system is finally up and running... until next shutdown!!

Unfortunately, I can't test filoktetes's image because:
- my ssd is too small (it's a 4G with xandros on it: 1.3G free!),
- my usb stick is also too small (1G),
- I don't have any sdhc card reader for my desktop pc...

So, I'm stuck! lol
May it be related to an hardware problem? (defectivs sdhc card or something like that?)
What's the file system of the root partition of filoktetes's image? ext2? ext3?

Last edited by vomix (2008-01-25 13:57:54)

#223 2008-01-25 17:14:06

elbecko
Website

vomix wrote:

After that, I have to fsck the sdhc card on xandros to repair it.  Then, the boot of arch kernel ask me to do another fsck, and reboot.  After this reboot, my system is finally up and running... until next shutdown!!

Then, never shutdown! tongue

Unfortunately, I can't test filoktetes's image because:
- my ssd is too small (it's a 4G with xandros on it: 1.3G free!),
- my usb stick is also too small (1G),
- I don't have any sdhc card reader for my desktop pc...

So, I'm stuck! lol
May it be related to an hardware problem? (defectivs sdhc card or something like that?)
What's the file system of the root partition of filoktetes's image? ext2? ext3?

It's ext2.

Now I too suspect your SDHC. Does 1G stick work correctly, and did you try to install Arch on it? If it works stable (except for shutdown issue), it means SDHC related problem, I think.

In either case, you need more SDHC and a card reader. It's too though situation to try a new distro while keeping original Xandros on SSD.

#224 2008-01-25 23:51:47

dkite

I've updated the eee modules PKGBUILD and the module pkg.tar.gz.

http://members.shaw.ca/dkite

The changes consist of:
  Changed the PKGBUILD to prevent pacman from editing the version number.
  The install script calls depmod.

The pkg.tar.gz applies to the 2.6.23.14 kernel26. I will attempt to keep the modules updated to the current kernel. If someone has a pkg.tar.gz that works with the install kernel, let me know. I intend to set up a qemu image to build the kernel modules.

Derek

Todo:
Patch the asusosd code to fit AUR installation guidelines.
Separate the asusosd from the acpid scripts.
Call the wicd script placed in /etc/acpid/resume.d that will reconnect. wicd rocks.

#225 2008-01-26 21:09:52

alisou
Website

Hi,

First, Thanks to those who write the howto or build packages. It's a great job. smile
I installed Arch on my eeepc with Fluxbox and Rox. I compiled and installed atl2, madwifi, asus_acpi and webcam drivers. LAN,WLAN,sound are functional.

Webcam:
The following command returns an error message

# echo 1 > /proc/acpi/asus/camera
bash: /proc/acpi/asus/camera: No such file or directory

I have the "/proc/acpi" directory  but the "/proc/acpi/asus" directory is missing
However, the camera still works with luvcview

acpid_eee:
I installed acpid_eee-0.0.1-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz.tar for to have the functional hotkeys.
So it do not work. I receive an error related to the absence of "/proc/acpi/asus" directory.
Assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks!
alisou, smile

Board footer