You are not logged in.

#26 2008-03-08 20:18:51

SpookyET

Re: pm-utils-opensuse (suspend, hibernate)

I've updated the package. It also installs suse hooks.

That said, patroclo7, I'm not consolidating the patches because Suse 11 is in development, and the package is being updated

pm-utils-opensuse.

#27 2008-03-08 20:24:53

patroclo7

It seems that the next upstream non-suse version of pm-utils will support uswsusp and all the gnome components, so hopefully we won't need anymore to wait for the releases of another distro.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#28 2008-03-08 20:42:12

SpookyET

patroclo7 wrote:

It seems that the next upstream non-suse version of pm-utils will support uswsusp and all the gnome components, so hopefully we won't need anymore to wait for the releases of another distro.

They do have some good hooks. We'll see.

#29 2008-03-18 02:46:45

damjan

What's the difference between pm-utils and hibernate-script.
Currently I use hibernate-script with my tux-on-ice kernel, and it works fine, but I have a fealing hibernate-script is not going anywhere. I start the hibernate script from an acpi handler for the power button. It unloads most of the modules, restarts alsa, shows a splash screen etc.. I use it both for hibernation(tuxonice) and suspend-to-ram.

But I know nothing about pm-utils!
And what's that about HAL integration in pm-utils?

Last edited by damjan (2008-03-18 02:49:51)

#30 2008-03-18 08:00:29

patroclo7

Hal integration is the main difference in favor of pm-utils: this integration is needed in order to suspend with a GUI from desktop environments such as gnome. I would not be able to quote any other advantage of the hal integration.

ATM the hibernate-script is more configurable: in a single file you can define a large number of tricks in order to accomplish a successful resume cycle. The purpose of pm-utils would be instead to guess the right tricks required in your setup, reducing the configuration to a minimum.

About the core method of suspension to disk employed, pm-utils in the extra repo can only use the vanilla method, while this suse-patched version in the AUR can also use uswsusp. The next upstream release of pm-utils will allow you to choose any core method, including tuxonice: it should be out in the next days.

The hibernate-script allows you to choose the method you like (also for suspension to ram). Both pm-utils and the hibernate-script are actively developed.

Mi personal preference is for the hibernate-script, because I do not care about hal integration and, in my experience, an high degree of local configuration is required in order to suspend and resume properly in the wide variety of laptops on the market.

#31 2008-03-18 11:59:22

SpookyET

damjan wrote:

What's the difference between pm-utils and hibernate-script.
Currently I use hibernate-script with my tux-on-ice kernel, and it works fine, but I have a fealing hibernate-script is not going anywhere. I start the hibernate script from an acpi handler for the power button. It unloads most of the modules, restarts alsa, shows a splash screen etc.. I use it both for hibernation(tuxonice) and suspend-to-ram.

But I know nothing about pm-utils!
And what's that about HAL integration in pm-utils?

Gnome > Hal > pm-utils.

Hibernate script has been depricated. pm-utils is the next generation. It does not have uswsusp support official. Though, openSUSE have a done very good job. If you google tuxonice and pm-utils, you'll get mailing list results with patches to make pm-utils support tuxonice.

In short, it's coming.

I have also installed the ice kernel. I have not teste TuxOnIce yet. I did it for the splash screen.

Let me know what you did to make gnome suspend/resume using the hibernate script and tuxonice.

#32 2008-03-18 12:07:32

patroclo7

Nobody deprecated the hibernate-script and some distros actually encourage its use (in primis debian). The actual maintainer of the hibernate-script is Alon Bar Lev, who is the maintainer of the hibernation/suspend stuff for gentoo and an important contributor of uswsusp. The last svn commit is only some weeks old. It is not fair to deem as deprecated the work in progress of other people.

The only valid point is that the hibernate-script can not be used with desktop environments relying on hal for the gui operation, such as gnome. Obviously you can use gnome and the hibernate-script, but you have to use it from a terminal instead that clicking in the GUI.

Last edited by patroclo7 (2008-03-18 12:16:35)

#33 2008-03-18 12:11:44

SpookyET

patroclo7 wrote:

Nobody deprecated the hibernate-script, except SpookyET, and some distros actually encourage its use (in primis debian). The last svn commit is only some weeks old.

It's more flexible due to its hooks system. You can easily patch it to support any hibernation method.

#34 2008-03-18 12:18:20

patroclo7

Any hook corresponds to a configuration option in the hibernate-script. In other words, you can modify a line in /etc/hibernate/common.conf instead of creating/modifying a hook/script.
Moreover, there are many more options in the hibernate-script than hooks in pm-utils.

Anyway, opinions may vary, but you should not say that something is deprecated just because you do not like it. Something is deprecated if and only if is not maintained anymore and some authority discourages its use.

Last edited by patroclo7 (2008-03-18 12:21:28)

Board footer