You are not logged in.

#51 2008-04-05 13:50:29

JaQoB

Re: snd-hda-intel doesn't work on 2.6.24

I too got sound! Thanks smile

#52 2008-04-06 02:42:55

Blind

Oh wow, are you guys using the stock kernel that is in core right now?
I am 'blessed' with error messages about missing "snd_verbose_printk". I have created a PKGBUILD a long time ago, but I assume I still need to recompile the kernel. Weird.

Cheers,
Blind

#53 2008-04-06 15:43:56

Mc_Lenet

Hello,

I have the same problem as you guys and I hoped the solution given by Bapman would work for me. Unfortunately, I can't even pass the first command line :

./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-card-options=hda-codec-sigmatel :

./configure: line 461: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Am I missing something ?

Cheers,

Mc Lenet

#54 2008-04-06 21:39:18

Bapman

Hi,

That's weird ! Maybe try to download this file again : ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/a … 16.tar.bz2
I should really have done a PKGBUILD. If you have time, try to make one, as it was said before, it is much better smile !

IT WORKS!!!

Thank you very, very, very much, Bapman.
I have sound in my XPSm1330. It was not impossible.

Regards from Spain.

I won't take credit for that. Thank Blind and the user on the bug report who gave me the trick ! Thank you though wink

#55 2008-04-06 21:40:22

Bapman

Blind wrote:

Oh wow, are you guys using the stock kernel that is in core right now?
I am 'blessed' with error messages about missing "snd_verbose_printk". I have created a PKGBUILD a long time ago, but I assume I still need to recompile the kernel. Weird.

Cheers,
Blind

Yes I am using stock kernel in core since I was unable to recompile it smile !

#56 2008-04-06 21:50:10

brebs

Blind wrote:

error messages about

Show the exact error message. Having people who don't understand the problem try to interpret the error messages, just adds another layer of confusion sad

Recompile kernel 2.6.24.4 (make certain you include the gcc 4.3 patch), using gcc 4.3. That is, if you want to use a custom kernel.

#57 2008-04-07 07:55:14

Mc_Lenet

Bapman wrote:

Hi,

That's weird ! Maybe try to download this file again : ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/a … 16.tar.bz2
I should really have done a PKGBUILD. If you have time, try to make one, as it was said before, it is much better smile !

Well, no chance with this file too.
However, the ./configure did work in ubuntu (?? - I am new too Arch, so maybe there is a (silly) thing I don't get) so I could carry on the installation process (in Arch, of course wink). Still, after reboot, alsamixer returns :

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

So now it's even worse.
Here is the output of the make install-modules :

find /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound -name 'snd*.*o' | xargs rm -f
find /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound -name 'snd*.*o.gz' | xargs rm -f
find /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound -name 'ac97_bus.*o' | xargs rm -f
find /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound -name 'ac97_bus.*o.gz' | xargs rm -f
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore'           
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/acore                           
cp snd-page-alloc.ko snd-pcm.ko snd-rtctimer.ko snd-timer.ko snd.ko /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/acore
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore/ioctl32'                                   
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore/ioctl32'                                   
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore/oss'                                       
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/acore/oss                                                       
cp snd-mixer-oss.ko snd-pcm-oss.ko /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/acore/oss                             
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore/oss'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore/seq'                                       
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/acore/seq                                                       
cp snd-seq-device.ko snd-seq-midi-event.ko snd-seq.ko /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/acore/seq         
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore/seq/oss'                                   
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/acore/seq/oss                                                   
cp snd-seq-oss.ko /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/acore/seq/oss                                         
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore/seq/oss'                                   
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore/seq'                                       
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/acore'                                           
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/i2c'                                             
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/i2c/l3'                                         
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/i2c/l3'                                           
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/i2c/other'                                       
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/i2c/other'                                       
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/i2c'                                             
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers'                                         
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers/mpu401'                                 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers/mpu401'                                   
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers/opl3'                                   
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers/opl3'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers/opl4'                                   
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers/opl4'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers/pcsp'                                   
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers/pcsp'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers/vx'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers/vx'                                       
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/drivers'                                         
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa'                                             
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/ad1816a'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/ad1816a'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/ad1848'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/ad1848'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/cs423x'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/cs423x'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/es1688'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/es1688'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/gus'                                         
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/gus'                                         
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/msnd'                                       
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/msnd'                                         
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/opti9xx'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/opti9xx'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/sb'                                         
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/sb'                                           
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/wavefront'                                   
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa/wavefront'                                   
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/isa'                                             
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/synth'                                           
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/synth/emux'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/synth/emux'                                       
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/synth'                                           
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci'                                             
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/ac97'                                       
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/ac97'                                         
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/ali5451'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/ali5451'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/asihpi'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/asihpi'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/au88x0'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/au88x0'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/ca0106'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/ca0106'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/cs46xx'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/cs46xx'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/cs5535audio'                                 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/cs5535audio'                                 
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/echoaudio'                                   
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/echoaudio'                                   
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/emu10k1'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/emu10k1'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/hda'                                         
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/pci/hda                                                         
cp snd-hda-intel.ko /lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/pci/hda                                             
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/hda'                                         
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/ice1712'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/ice1712'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/korg1212'                                   
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/korg1212'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/mixart'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/mixart'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/nm256'                                       
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/nm256'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/oxygen'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/oxygen'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/pcxhr'                                       
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/pcxhr'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/pdplus'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/pdplus'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/riptide'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/riptide'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/rme9652'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/rme9652'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/trident'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/trident'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/vx222'                                       
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/vx222'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/ymfpci'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci/ymfpci'                                       
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pci'                                             
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa'                                             
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa/codecs'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa/codecs'                                       
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa/core'                                       
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa/core'                                         
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa/fabrics'                                     
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa/fabrics'                                     
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa/soundbus'                                   
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa/soundbus/i2sbus'                             
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa/soundbus/i2sbus'                             
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa/soundbus'                                     
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/aoa'                                             
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc'                                             
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/at91'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/at91'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/codecs'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/codecs'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/fsl'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/fsl'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/pxa'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/pxa'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/s3c24xx'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/s3c24xx'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/sh'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc/sh'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/soc'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/usb'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/usb/caiaq'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/usb/caiaq'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/usb/usx2y'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/usb/usx2y'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/usb'
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pcmcia'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pcmcia/pdaudiocf'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pcmcia/pdaudiocf'
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pcmcia/vx'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pcmcia/vx'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/clement/alsa-driver-1.0.16/pcmcia'
/sbin/depmod -a 2.6.24-ARCH

I do not kown if this means everything went fine or not.
As for the PKGBUILD, I might try and get into the details of that thing... a bit later wink

Anyway, if any of you has a suggestion, it is welcome.

Cheers,

Mc Lenet

Last edited by Mc_Lenet (2008-04-07 07:56:34)

#58 2008-04-07 16:28:59

Blind

brebs wrote:
Blind wrote:

error messages about

Show the exact error message. Having people who don't understand the problem try to interpret the error messages, just adds another layer of confusion sad

Recompile kernel 2.6.24.4 (make certain you include the gcc 4.3 patch), using gcc 4.3. That is, if you want to use a custom kernel.

Alright, alright wink

> modprobe -v snd_hda_intel
WARNING: Error inserting snd_hda_intel (/lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd_hda_intel.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

And the kernel.log shows, which unknown symbol that is:

Mar 24 10:23:41 creep snd_hda_intel: Unknown symbol snd_verbose_printk

I am pretty sure I have the right ALSA package. Do you have the kernel-header files installed? I am using the stock kernel. Lemme post the PKGBUILD.

pkgname=alsa-driver
pkgver=1.0.16
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="ALSA drivers"
arch=("i686" "x86_64")
license=('GPL')
url="http://www.alsa-project.org"
depends=('glibc')
makedepends=()
options=(!libtool)
source=(ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=( )

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver

./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-card-options=hda-codec-sigmatel
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install-modules || return 1
}

#59 2008-04-07 16:38:30

brebs

Blind wrote:

Unknown symbol in module

Read wiki article. Common mistake.

#60 2008-04-07 17:05:21

Mc_Lenet

OK, problem solved for me.

I re-extracted the archive and the ./configure did work.
Still after all the make/ make install thing I still had the same error, so I had to ./configure without any --with-card*** option, and it did work fine this time.
Thanks for your help,

Mc Lenet

#61 2008-04-07 17:30:14

Bapman

Ok great for you ! Are you sure you have a Sigmatel STAC 9228 sound chip ?

#62 2008-04-07 20:31:44

iggy

hello!

i or better my friend has a strange problem. we both have the same laptops - a dell xps m1330!

on my machine, sound works perfect without any quirks.

on the machine of my friend sound does not work.

we did the following stuff, but no luck:

1.) deleted all alsa-modules

find /lib/modules -name alsa-driver -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf
find /lib/modules -name snd\*.ko -delete
find /lib/modules -name sound\*.ko -delete

2.) built the alsa-driver pkg

pkgname=alsa-driver
pkgver=1.0.16
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="ALSA drivers"
arch=("i686" "x86_64")
license=('GPL')
url="http://www.alsa-project.org"
depends=('glibc')
makedepends=()
options=(!libtool)
source=(ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=( )

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver

./configure --with-cards=hda-intel --with-card-options=hda-codec-sigmatel
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install-modules || return 1
}

3.) built the same package without "--with-card***" options

every time after a reboot no sound-modules where loaded.

> modprobe -v snd_hda_intel
4x
WARNING: Error inserting snd_* (/lib/modules/2.6.24-ARCH/kernel/sound/pci/hda/snd_*.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

whats the problem? please help...

why is sound working on my machine and not on his one?

mfg iggy

sorry for my bad english smile

#63 2008-04-07 20:47:19

brebs

Sigh. "Unknown symbol" is too generic for me to know exactly which of many mistakes has been made. Plus you've not included the list of debugging info in my article. So read the article fully, and read it several times. Then follow it completely. Then you'll have modules which have been recompiled to match the recompiled kernel, and it will be happy.

Check the /usr/src/linux symlink, for starters.

#64 2008-04-07 21:03:42

Blind

He has the same problem as I do (I did exactly the same thing, iggy).
bapman claimed he can install the drivers without recompiling the kernel, which is what we are trying to do. Also, your wiki entry talks about trying to get rid of the alsa-driver package, while we are trying to do the exact opposite to get ALSA 1.0.16. I am not sure what the implications are. I really wonder what bapman did what the PKGBUILD doesn't do, except maybe the depmod at the end, which is done automatically when rebooting.
Maybe brebs could enlighten us here, but I personally have the feeling that I won't get the modules to work without recompiling the kernel with ALSA and OSS disabled (sound enabled, though).

Cheers,
Blind

PS: I suppose that brebs is talking about the "Patch kernel with live ALSA (optional)" section. Again, while this might be the best thing to do, this will require a recompilation of the kernel, which is what I actually wanted to avoid.

#65 2008-04-07 21:18:32

brebs

Aaah, what you're probably doing wrong is *mixing* some of the in-kernel alsa (i.e. "=y" rather than "=m") with the alsa-driver package, and they conflict because they're different versions and the way they interact has changed between the versions.

So, remove the "=y" sound modules from the kernel, and compile it and alsa all over again.

#66 2008-04-07 21:19:34

Bapman

It is a really weird problem since some people claim the sound has always worked out of the box even with kernel 2.6.24, other people say it works by compliling alsa-drivers and it just don't work for some others !
I am sure anyway that my kernel is stock kernel. It has been many years I haven't compiled a kernel !

#67 2008-04-07 21:30:48

brebs

It's because there's a million different hardware combinations. snd-hda-intel covers a multitude of soundcards and soundcard variants, which often have their own quirks and need to be treated slightly differently, and everyone's got a different motherboard with different chipsets and ACPI brokenness/issues.

Plus, of course, we rarely get more info than "my sound doesn't work", which isn't exactly narrowing it down. I posted a ton of useful debugging info at the end of that article - do people actually post it? Nope. Unsurprisingly, such forum threads usually get nowhere.

Edit: And here is another fresh example of kids sapping my will to help people with Linux sad

Last edited by brebs (2008-04-07 21:47:53)

#68 2008-04-07 21:44:40

Bapman

Yes I should have made maybe a different thread, I am always talking about Sigmatel STAC 9228, PCI Id 8086:284b, that you can get by :

lspci -n | grep `lspci | grep -i audio | awk '{print $1}'`

But it's still weird for Iggy since we have both the same hardware configuration apparently (maybe you should check your PCI id Iggy).

#69 2008-04-07 21:53:42

Blind

brebs,
I agree with you in certain points. Nevertheless, if I would post all that information this thread would be overcrowded, and why would you need the grub entry. But let's not start a discussion about that (mea culpa), I really honestly appreciate your help smile
Now, the stock ARCH kernel has EVERY sound driver modularized. If you use it, you can check it with
zcat /proc/config.gz | grep SND
Thus, I doubt that I am mixing stuff here, cause I deleted the original kernel modules.
Again: I know the remedy (recompiling the kernel) but I refrain from doing that because I am a lazy ass and rather use the stock kernel that gets updated whenever a new one is out.
In principle, my only question is why bapman does NOT need to recompile the kernel, while obviously I do. He builds the exact same modules I do with his command.

Cheers,
Blind

#70 2008-04-07 22:04:12

brebs

Blind wrote:

why would you need the grub entry.

Because there's lots of potential mistakes, including booting up the wrong kernel.

Maybe it's a different motherboard, causing ALSA's auto-detection of the soundcard to fail. There's more to the hardware than just the soundcard.

#71 2008-04-07 22:25:32

Blind

ok, here is something:

> zcat /proc/config.gz | grep SND | grep =y
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS_PLUGINS=y
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_SUPPORT_OLD_API=y
CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS=y
CONFIG_SND_SB16_CSP=y
CONFIG_SND_SB16_CSP_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_SND_WAVEFRONT_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_SND_CS46XX_NEW_DSP=y
CONFIG_SND_FM801_TEA575X_BOOL=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_HWDEP=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_REALTEK=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ANALOG=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SIGMATEL=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_VIA=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_ATIHDMI=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CONEXANT=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CMEDIA=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_SI3054=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_GENERIC=y
CONFIG_SND_HDA_POWER_SAVE=y
CONFIG_SND_KORG1212_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_SND_MAESTRO3_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_SND_AC97_POWER_SAVE=y
CONFIG_SND_USB_CAIAQ_INPUT=y

Does anybody know what
CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PROCFS=y
does? Could this be the problem here?
Cheers,
Blind

#72 2008-04-16 18:49:18

mini

I have got sound, but it is very low volum for it.
My sound device

Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

and my modprobe.conf

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
# module options should go here
options snd-hda-intel model=hp

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

How can I increase the volum- alsamixer is on the max level

Last edited by mini (2008-04-16 18:51:23)

#73 2008-04-17 11:06:56

quivler

Hey guys,

I got a dell vostro 1400 with a sigmatel 9228 sound card. I get my sound working by setting following options in /etc/modprobe.conf:

options snd_hda_intel model=5stack

But therefore I my master channel is now missing. I tried several other options and sometimes there is a master channel in alsamixer but then I only have sound out of my headphones and the internal speakers. Can anybody acknowledge this Problem and does ist remain after trying Bapman's method?
I would be very appreciated if you could let me know!

greetz

#74 2008-04-17 14:18:21

Bapman

Hi, I noticed this problem once, I had to run alsaconf again and then "alsactl store". It happened to me when I was searching for a solution to get sound. It did not make sound work but I could see master channel again.
Since you already have sound, my method is useless.

#75 2008-04-17 16:56:26

quivler

Hey Bapman,

thanks a lot. I will try it as soon as I can reinstall arch on my laptop. At the monent I moved back to ubuntu, but I miss arch already wink

Board footer