You are not logged in.

#501 2008-11-01 19:46:12

thomasd

Re: Acer Aspire One

gothicknight wrote:

What do you mean by "function properly"? If you mean the hotpluging it doesn't work sad

It does work with pciehp and the proper option. See the section on card readers I added to the wiki recently.

#502 2008-11-03 08:29:11

gothicknight

thomasd wrote:

It does work with pciehp and the proper option. See the section on card readers I added to the wiki recently.

Great to hear that, I've compiled a build with this enabled but nothing worked, but it seems that I've forgot to put force = 1.

Once I successfully test this in my AA1 (later today) I'll upload the build and pkgbuild to the usual places.

One more question, there's the mention of a script, which of the solutions is the best approach for the issue?

EDIT: The wiki is becoming a bit confusing these days sad

"The rules ensure that we won't reach the maximum limit of writes on our SSD faster than we should. The number of writes is incredibly high though, so it doesn't really matter."

Here one says that SSD write limits are bad and next to it, it's OK?
The EeePC wiki in ubuntu is far better structured than Arch's AA1, I think a thorough review and cleanup is in order. Ideas?

Last edited by gothicknight (2008-11-03 08:33:53)

#503 2008-11-03 10:01:53

AndyRTR
Developer

go on and do the cleanup. you can use the discuss page if you like.

i think i can spend some time soon for optimisations. i will have a deeper look into Linpus and how they did all the custom stuff. Linpus was much faster and snappier than my Arch installation. Especially FF and showdown from Xfce are really slow although it doesn't show high cpu load. maybe i will even start playing with Intel's ICC. our regular Firefox is almost unusable on big sites. though the site is rendered it doesn't take any input (e.g. scrolling).

maybe i'll do a reinstall going back to a journaled FS. too often the shotdown leaves ssd/sdhc in an unclean umounted state.

#504 2008-11-03 10:06:12

thomasd

gothicknight wrote:
thomasd wrote:

Great to hear that, I've compiled a build with this enabled but nothing worked, but it seems that I've forgot to put force = 1.

Once I successfully test this in my AA1 (later today) I'll upload the build and pkgbuild to the usual places.

One more question, there's the mention of a script, which of the solutions is the best approach for the issue?

Well, I use the script instead of just loading the module. It seemed to me that the script does some power management since the battery drain was quite a bit lower compared to the module alone. But I did not test that extensively. It might well be that the module alone is fine, too.

gothicknight wrote:

"The rules ensure that we won't reach the maximum limit of writes on our SSD faster than we should. The number of writes is incredibly high though, so it doesn't really matter."

The EeePC wiki in ubuntu is far better structured than Arch's AA1, I think a thorough review and cleanup is in order. Ideas?

- I was thinking that everything from <2.6.27 could be deleted from the wiki.
- madwifi-hal could be moved to an appendix, since ath5k works fine for most people.
- The example configurations can go away. Most is doubled. And you wants some ready-to-go configurations if he/she uses Arch Linux?
- Why would any normal user have the webcam disabled at boot and reenabled thereafter? These lines should vanish.
- The lines on networkmanager should go away. This is not AA1 specific.
- Mounting options is too confusing. Why not just list one example fstab for ext2 and just mention ext3, xfs and these things. These commented lines in the fstab are very confusing. Also, I think we should go back to LABEL or UUID for the SD-card, since not everyone is using only the left reader.
- Unmounting of the SD card on shutdown: Does anyone need this? I think this can be deleted.
- Improve audio: This should be renamed to "Enable auto-muting front speaker" or similar. In general, the model=... section need much improvement for easier understanding and deciding between them.
- Both xorg.conf include the evil DontVTSwitch and DontZap options. Why?
- This xbindkeys and vgadisplay.sh section is not AA1 specific. I know I wrote it, but I think it should be deleted. Maybe three xrandr examples (off, auto, special resolution) are sufficient.
- The FVWM2 middle click thing can be deleted. With the standard synaptics configuration, the middle click is in the upper right of the touch pad, no need to bind another key. And also, this is not AA1 specific.
- Provide deadline as additional option instead of noop.

Just my thoughts.

On another note, I am just reading the uvesafb wiki page. With this it might be possible to have a 1024x600 framebuffer. I don't have my AA1 here, but will test that this evening. I think one might need this 915resolution thing.

#505 2008-11-03 10:40:26

Inkaine

gothicknight wrote:

I already thought I was the only one noticing that. IMO this sentence is an opinion and thus doesn't belong in a wiki. I just didn't want to delete it myself without first talking here. There's another addition of the same kind in the Mounting Options section after the paragraph on CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME: "(Shouldn't really be needed, but you can try it if you should have problems with the SD-card)." Both sentencess create more confusion than solution. Also the latest rewrite to proposed daemons in rc.conf contains some bloat: acpid doesn't need to be called as hal automatically runs acpid. And is there any reason to run cpufreq? My One scales up and down without that perfectly alone. Also setting the govenor in rc.local was not necessary for me, ondemand seems to be default (that was already the case on my desktop pc back in June, all wiki entries still tell to set the govenor manually on each reboot).

#506 2008-11-03 10:59:25

gothicknight

@Thomasd:

On some points I agree, but..:
> networkmanager is needed for network mobility (but not *really* needed)
> madwifi is needed for network LED and is more stable

@Inkaine: Ondemand is the default in my build. Arch's stock might not be the same on that...

I'll try to update the wiki now,...

#507 2008-11-03 11:18:10

thomasd

gothicknight wrote:

@Thomasd:
> networkmanager is needed for network mobility (but not *really* needed)

Well, netcfg may be used as well. And part of the "Arch way" is that users may decide which tool to use. Two links, one to the networkmanager article and one to netcfg, would be sufficient here. Wicd is just another possibility...

gothicknight wrote:

> madwifi is needed for network LED and is more stable

I have never had any problems with ath5k and do not care about the LED. We should keep both possibilities.

#508 2008-11-03 14:20:19

gothicknight

Update is done.

Minor corrections can be needed :$

#509 2008-11-03 16:50:48

thomasd

The new version is much more readable. Good work. I see you dropped madwifi completely?

#510 2008-11-03 16:56:51

Jacek Poplawski
Website

I just read Wiki, can't read whole thread, it's so long.

Would you recommend buying Aspire One?
It's available without Windows in Poland (can't find eeepc 901), so I think I go for it.

Are there any problems you have with current version of Arch on Aspire One?

#511 2008-11-03 17:07:24

axelgenus
Website

I bought an Acer Aspire One last thursday and I tried some distributions. I love GNOME so I really want the latest version (the choice was about Arch Linux, Foresight Linux or some minor ones). I installed Arch quite simply but the LAN driver had to be updated; I simply downloaded the last kernel26 package and installed it: I had LAN and graphic (framebuffer and X.org Intel) working, sound card detected but some minor glitches. After installing kernel26-one everything seemed to work out-of-box but I was having some troubles with sound. I hacked the kernel package in AUR making some changes:

1) enabled uvesafb as module;
2) disabled the "aggressive power saving" feature of Intel HDA driver (sound doesn't work on my box for the first two/three seconds and it seems that disabling the feature didn't work out so i simply disabled it in the kernel);
3) disabled the multi-core option (this nettop doesn't have multi-core CPU);
4) changed the default I/O manager to CFQ (I have the HDD version of AAO).

I would suggest to add these mods to the default kernel to avoid troubles (except the fouth).

BTW, now everything works. I didn't test the memory card readers and suspension doesn't work (I haven't fully investigated this last problem) but I'm quite happy.

One more thing: I tried to use uvesafb to have a widescreen framebuffer (I used the wiki guide for uvesafb + 915resolution). I can patch the VBIOS with "915resolution -c 945GM 5c 1024 600" but then I'm unable to set the uvesafb driver to use the correct resolution... any hint?

#512 2008-11-03 19:00:15

thomasd

@Jacek: The only thing I do not like with my AA1 is the glossy screen and the small standard battery. The keyboard is very good for a 8.9 inch model, only the 10 inch netbooks are better but also bigger. The upcoming HP Mini 1000 has caught my attention for its small chassis while having 10 inch, but till now I am very satisfied with my AA1.
The only problems with Linux are sound related, but this is not Arch specific. See the wiki for workarounds.

@axelgenus: Somewhere in /sys you can read the possible resolutions. Don't know where I read that. Will try it now myself.

EDIT: I have the 1024x600 framebuffer! Will update the wiki in a minute.
EDIT2: Finished updating the wiki. Note that this is for the stock kernel, but you may figure out how this works for kernel26-one. However, it will not work without initrd, if I understand the Uvesafb page right. This is because we need 915resolution-static in initrd.

Last edited by thomasd (2008-11-03 19:32:34)

#513 2008-11-03 22:12:06

axelgenus
Website

Thank you so much thomas... I'll try it tomorrow. Arch rulez!!! wink

EDIT: I did it!!! Thank you again. Now I want the fbsplash. It should be easy...

Last edited by axelgenus (2008-11-03 23:03:57)

#514 2008-11-04 06:23:14

AndyRTR
Developer

The Wiki page looks nice now. I will apply most changes that were found in the last few weeks.

One question? Is there any reason why we only recommend Xfs/ext3 filesystems beside ext2? I'm thinking about using jfs on /home and maybe even on / because of the lower cpu usage. What would be the recommended jfs mount settings for fstab?

#515 2008-11-04 07:09:07

axelgenus
Website

Oh, I almost forgot: the MadWifi driver is useless to me. Only the ath5k kernel driver works on my AAO.

#516 2008-11-04 08:25:15

gothicknight

AndyRTR wrote:

The Wiki page looks nice now. I will apply most changes that were found in the last few weeks.

One question? Is there any reason why we only recommend Xfs/ext3 filesystems beside ext2? I'm thinking about using jfs on /home and maybe even on / because of the lower cpu usage. What would be the recommended jfs mount settings for fstab?

I've left many out to also keep it simple.
JFS mount options are similar if not the same as EXT2/3.

On other note...

The problem with the wiki IMHO is that everyone who's making discoveries updates the wiki in the position it's belong to, disregarding if it is indeed needed at installation point or post configuration.
One thing I've tried to do is to separate the waters a bit so if anyone tries to read the wiki it will appear in the same way as the Arch's installation setup.
So to keep this at a minimum I think we need 2~3 separated wikis or a bit more retention on how and where to submit ideas, fixes or workarounds. My idea was, a wiki for installation, another for configuration and finally one for fixes/workarounds/ideas.

Your thoughts on this approach?

#517 2008-11-04 10:03:37

AndyRTR
Developer

I think it's fine as it is now. I don't expect many major additions in the future. Most things are covered now.

If others want something to be changed or are unsure if we should add/remove something they should first use the Wiki Talk page: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tal … Aspire_One

#518 2008-11-04 15:23:57

dave.roberts

I would support the approach to separate out the when certain things need to be configured.  I'm still having a bit of trouble. (I downloaded gothic's kernel, untarred, pointed grub to the new vmlinuz and it exploded on boot with something like VFS panic.  Note: I'm trying this on vmware first before actually doing this on my AAO.  Is that the problem?)

#519 2008-11-04 16:06:57

elstupidos
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Just bought an AOA-150. Have a few questions before I attempt to install arch on it.

My understanding is that there is a hidden partition which contains files to be able to restore system to factory settings. If I attempt to install linux will it remove that partition on the install of arch?

Last edited by elstupidos (2008-11-04 17:31:45)

#520 2008-11-04 16:33:33

gothicknight

dave.roberts wrote:

I would support the approach to separate out the when certain things need to be configured.  I'm still having a bit of trouble. (I downloaded gothic's kernel, untarred, pointed grub to the new vmlinuz and it exploded on boot with something like VFS panic.  Note: I'm trying this on vmware first before actually doing this on my AAO.  Is that the problem?)

A virtual machine doesn't have the same hardware as the AA1 so it's normal it fails to load the Virtual File System because no suitable hardware is found to have one (no IDE controller?).

#521 2008-11-04 17:41:51

dave.roberts

gothicknight wrote:

A virtual machine doesn't have the same hardware as the AA1 so it's normal it fails to load the Virtual File System because no suitable hardware is found to have one (no IDE controller?).

Thank you gothic.  I will assume that the failure is due to the nature of VMWare vs the AAO.  Is my procedure correct?  Are there any additional steps I must perform or does it sound like I was doing it properly?

Last edited by dave.roberts (2008-11-04 17:47:26)

#522 2008-11-04 19:08:10

thomasd

dave.roberts wrote:

Is my procedure correct?  Are there any additional steps I must perform or does it sound like I was doing it properly?

Make sure you do not use the UUIDs of the disks in /boot/grub/menu.lst, this is Arch standard, but does not work with gothicknight's kernel (resulting in a kernel panic at boot). Instead just use /dev/sda1 for example.

#523 2008-11-04 21:44:34

JesusRifle

Hi guys I am trying to upgrade to the latest gothicknight kernel using yaourt -S kernel26-one. I can't seem to do it and I get this error msg while downloading madwifi. Can anyone give me a hand resolving this, I am new to linux and even newer to AUR. Thanks in advance and keep up the good work smile

--2008-11-04 21:29:39--  http://snapshots.madwifi-project.orgmad … 801.tar.gz
Resolving snapshots.madwifi-project.orgmadwifi-hal-0.10.5.6... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address `snapshots.madwifi-project.orgmadwifi-hal-0.10.5.6'
==> ERROR: Failure while downloading madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build kernel26-one package.

#524 2008-11-05 06:17:29

Megaton

You guys have done a fantastic job with the Wiki. It is very clean. When I upgraded to XFCE 4.3, my Arch install died, so I am taking the time to play around with Ubuntu 8.10 on my AAO. When 2.6.28 and XFCE 4.6 become more stable I will take the time to switch back to Arch.  I have been playing with the .git of 2.6.28 on Ubuntu and it looks promising. ATH5K has still given me occasional problems, but overall it is much better than madwifi or ATH5K in .27

#525 2008-11-05 07:49:37

thomasd

JesusRifle wrote:

--2008-11-04 21:29:39--  http://snapshots.madwifi-project.orgmad … 801.tar.gz
Resolving snapshots.madwifi-project.orgmadwifi-hal-0.10.5.6... failed: Name or service not known.
wget: unable to resolve host address `snapshots.madwifi-project.orgmadwifi-hal-0.10.5.6'
==> ERROR: Failure while downloading madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3835-20080801.tar.gz
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build kernel26-one package.

Here is simply a slash missing, the source should read
http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org/ma … 801.tar.gz

But looking at the PKGBUILD, the slash is there. Strange. Perhaps the PKGBUILD got corrupted when downloading? Just try it again.

EDIT: btw, newer madwifi snapshots are available, the latest is from today:
http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org/ma … -0.10.5.6/

Last edited by thomasd (2008-11-05 07:51:14)

Board footer