You are not logged in.

#526 2008-11-05 09:34:39

lexi1986

Re: Acer Aspire One

Hello Guys I am having trouble with my install of arch on my Acer Aspire One. Booting en everything is working fine but if i want to install Grub or Lilo I get a message that the file/map doesn't exist. I have tried it witch the new arch version but also wit the 2007 version and everytime I get the same error. Can anyone help me ?

#527 2008-11-05 12:09:24

Inkaine

thomasd wrote:

Here is simply a slash missing, the source should read
http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org/ma … 801.tar.gz

But looking at the PKGBUILD, the slash is there. Strange. Perhaps the PKGBUILD got corrupted when downloading? Just try it again.

Very odd. I'm getting the same error now. The slash is there in the PKGBUILD, I had also used it succesfully that way to build the kernel two days ago. So nothing actually changed. Checking the full output it seems to be an error with a wrong redirection on the madwifi.org server. Check this output ahead of the error JesusRifle otherwise posted:

--2008-11-05 12:47:37--  http://snapshots.madwifi.org//madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3875-20081105.tar.gz
Resolving hostname »snapshots.madwifi.org«.... 217.24.1.134
Connecting to snapshots.madwifi.org|217.24.1.134|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, waiting for reply... 301 Moved Permanently
Place: http://snapshots.madwifi-project.orgmadwifi-hal-0.10.5.6/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3875-20081105.tar.gz[following]

After some manual try&error I figured the server in the PKGBUILD needs to get adjusted from snapshots.madwifi.org to snapshots.madwifi-project.org. That's where the redirect error takes place. Adjust that and all should be fine now. At least it works for me. wink

#528 2008-11-06 09:59:29

ArtemFX

Hello, i have a Aspire One and i'm trying to install a Archlinux.
I save the image archlinux-2008.06-core-i686.img with flashnul in the USB drive.
My question is how i can install kernel26-one if the ethernet card is not recognized, i have to put it in the USB Drive or what?
Thank you, i am a newbie in Archlinux.

#529 2008-11-06 10:16:52

gothicknight

ArtemFX wrote:

I save the image archlinux-2008.06-core-i686.img with flashnul in the USB drive.
My question is how i can install kernel26-one if the ethernet card is not recognized, i have to put it in the USB Drive or what?

You can put it into your pen, mount it with:

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/

and if you had put it into the root folder:

pacman -U /mnt/<kernel filename>

Update your GRUB configuration /boot/grub/menu.lst and add a entry for the kernel-one kernel.

I think I'll create a wiki for this to sum things up...

#530 2008-11-06 11:14:26

JesusRifle

Thanks alot for the help guys. I am also having a problem with xfce-battery-monitor, after the recent update it no longer shows in my task bar. Hoping the new kernel will fix this, heard something about acpi changes.

#531 2008-11-06 12:22:08

AndyRTR
Developer

JesusRifle wrote:

Thanks alot for the help guys. I am also having a problem with xfce-battery-monitor, after the recent update it no longer shows in my task bar. Hoping the new kernel will fix this, heard something about acpi changes.

This has been fixed in xfce4-battery-plugin 4.4.3-2 and it's working again on my AAO wink

#532 2008-11-06 14:44:57

dave.roberts

Gothic, I'm using your new kernel.  I have a couple of questions:  Are there any modules which must be loaded or blacklisted in rc.conf?  If so, what are they?  I would assume the needed parts of the kernel are "compiled in" instead of loaded as modules, and the unneeded portions are left out completely.
Also, the wireless connection kicks out after about ten minutes on inactivity.  If I try to "dhcpcd wlan0" again, I receive an error and get a 169 address.  Restarting the laptop does work however.
Thank you!

#533 2008-11-06 16:02:14

gothicknight

dave.roberts wrote:

Gothic, I'm using your new kernel.  I have a couple of questions:  Are there any modules which must be loaded or blacklisted in rc.conf?  If so, what are they?  I would assume the needed parts of the kernel are "compiled in" instead of loaded as modules, and the unneeded portions are left out completely.
Also, the wireless connection kicks out after about ten minutes on inactivity.  If I try to "dhcpcd wlan0" again, I receive an error and get a 169 address.  Restarting the laptop does work however.
Thank you!

Hi Dave.

I think I had answer your question (or maybe for someone else) a few posts back.

The Kconfig for kernel26-one is very restrictive to only support the AA1 (SD and HDD versions). There's no need to blacklist or load any module whatsoever as if the AA1 doesn't need it, it doesn't have it, with one exception, wireless tongue

I'm currently using madwifi as I sense that it is more stable than ath5k at the moment. So I've blacklisted ath5k and loaded the ath_pci.
Some say ath5k is more stable, some say madwifi, so, kernel26-one has them both.

On another note.
How do I create a new WIKI in archwiki? roll

#534 2008-11-07 09:25:13

thomasd

gothicknight wrote:

On another note.
How do I create a new WIKI in archwiki? roll

Just search for the desired name. On the results page (which shows no results), click "create this page".

#535 2008-11-07 10:45:17

ArtemFX

gothicknight wrote:
ArtemFX wrote:

You can put it into your pen, mount it with:

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/

and if you had put it into the root folder:

pacman -U /mnt/<kernel filename>

Update your GRUB configuration /boot/grub/menu.lst and add a entry for the kernel-one kernel.

I think I'll create a wiki for this to sum things up...

Ok, i probed it and it's ok.
I has to find the binary package of the kernel in this post from a rapidshare link because i could not build it from the source and i don't have the ethernet connection to make it with a abs.
Now i'm updating the system.
Thank you!

#536 2008-11-07 12:22:40

Barghest

Hi!

For cpu scaling the AA1 wiki says that one should enter
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

into his rc.conf.

What I'm interesstet in is to know, why not just use the normal procedure described in the cpufreq wiki (start cpufreq as a daemon and choose the governor)?

Thanks

#537 2008-11-07 13:40:12

gothicknight

Barghest wrote:

Hi!

For cpu scaling the AA1 wiki says that one should enter
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

into his rc.conf.

What I'm interesstet in is to know, why not just use the normal procedure described in the cpufreq wiki (start cpufreq as a daemon and choose the governor)?

Thanks

That's not in rc.conf but in rc.local.

You can follow the CPUfreq wiki and start yet another app as a daemon or you can simply put that in rc.local. The choice is always for the user wink

#538 2008-11-07 13:48:14

Barghest

Thanks and sorry for my fault with the rc.conf

So, is this specific for the AA1 or can this be used on every netbook?

Is it "problematic" to start an additional app (e.g. for battery life)?

#539 2008-11-07 15:15:25

dave.roberts

gothicknight wrote:

I'm currently using madwifi as I sense that it is more stable than ath5k at the moment. So I've blacklisted ath5k and loaded the ath_pci.  Some say ath5k is more stable, some say madwifi, so, kernel26-one has them both.

Just a few questions?  Does ath_pci == madwifi?
Using your kernel, I can load and unload ath5k using modprobe ath5k and modprobe -r ath5k.
After doing this however, I can never get an ip address again using dhcpcd wlan0 hmm I always receive the error "err, wlan0: timed out".  Restarting will pull an IP.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Is there another command I should issue?
Also, I cannot load the ath_pci (or ath_hal) modules using your kernel.  I receive the error "FATAL: Module ath_pci not found"  Am I loading the wrong module for ath_pci?
Thank you for your patience and help.

#540 2008-11-07 20:19:47

thomasd

Did anybody try to use ACPI battery events for some action on low battery?

I tried and there is no event. I waited until the battery had only 50mAh, but no event was generated. I guess there should be some event, but ACPI events are generally very badly documented on the net.

Any hints are appreciated.

Last edited by thomasd (2008-11-08 13:29:31)

#541 2008-11-08 18:48:42

antis

thomasd wrote:

Did anybody try to use ACPI battery events for some action on low battery?

I tried and there is no event. I waited until the battery had only 50mAh, but no event was generated. I guess there should be some event, but ACPI events are generally very badly documented on the net.

Any hints are appreciated.

Don't know if this is of any interest for you, but I'm monitoring the battery status with a simple script that is run every minute via crontab. If the capacity is lower than 10% I've set it to give me a notification from notify-send. Not perfect, but it works smile

#!/bin/bash

export DISPLAY=:0.0

AWK=/bin/awk
NOTIFY=/usr/bin/notify-send
BC=/usr/bin/bc
CAT=/bin/cat
GREP=/bin/grep
ECHO=/bin/echo

battery_max=`$CAT /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/info | $GREP 'last full capacity' | $AWK '{print $4}'`
battery_current=`$CAT /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state | $GREP 'remaining capacity' | $AWK '{print $3}'`
battery_level="`$ECHO "100 * $battery_current / $battery_max" | $BC`"
battery_state=`$CAT /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state | $GREP 'charging state' | $AWK '{print $3}'`

if [ $battery_level -lt 10 ] && [ $battery_state != "charging"  ]; then
           $NOTIFY -u normal -i ~/.icons/UltimateGnome/png/battery10.png -t 15000 "Battery is running low" "$battery_level% is remaining."
elif [ $battery_level -lt 5 ] && [ $battery_state != "charging" ]; then
           $NOTIFY -u critical -i ~/.icons/UltimateGnome/png/battery5.png -t 15000 "Battery is running low" "$battery_level% is remaining."
fi

Last edited by antis (2008-11-08 18:55:26)

#542 2008-11-08 19:29:27

thomasd

Thanks a lot. I am polling /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state every minute for the status line in wmii, so I will just insert the notify action there.

#543 2008-11-10 08:49:49

gothicknight

dave.roberts wrote:
gothicknight wrote:

I'm currently using madwifi as I sense that it is more stable than ath5k at the moment. So I've blacklisted ath5k and loaded the ath_pci.  Some say ath5k is more stable, some say madwifi, so, kernel26-one has them both.

Just a few questions?  Does ath_pci == madwifi?
Using your kernel, I can load and unload ath5k using modprobe ath5k and modprobe -r ath5k.
After doing this however, I can never get an ip address again using dhcpcd wlan0 hmm I always receive the error "err, wlan0: timed out".  Restarting will pull an IP.  Is there something I'm doing wrong?  Is there another command I should issue?
Also, I cannot load the ath_pci (or ath_hal) modules using your kernel.  I receive the error "FATAL: Module ath_pci not found"  Am I loading the wrong module for ath_pci?
Thank you for your patience and help.

Yes ath_pci is the madwifi module.

The ath5k driver is IMHO far less stable than ath_pci, and I've sticked with madwifi for now for just that reason.

Now, for not loading the madwifi, is it possible you're using an old package (kernel-26-2.6.27-2) or modified some compilation points in the PKGBUILD?

#544 2008-11-10 14:05:32

dave.roberts

gothicknight wrote:

is it possible you're using an old package (kernel-26-2.6.27-2) or modified some compilation points in the PKGBUILD?

I'm using the one found at http://clientes.netvisao.pt/gtknight/ke … pkg.tar.gz, so I didn't do the compilation myself, just pointed grub towards the vmlinuz in that package

#545 2008-11-10 23:55:57

Dooley

gothicknight I was wondering if you could explain how I could get 3g modem support added to your custom kernel, for some reason my hard-drive is not longer detected with the stock kernel....... Ie my root fs isn't seen and I'm sent to ramfs. Even though within grub Im pointing to the exact same filesystem /dev/sda3 with your kernel and works perfectly.

In fact I think the fact that usbserial isn't supported is why my modem refuses to work.

Last edited by Dooley (2008-11-11 00:07:31)

#546 2008-11-11 14:59:10

retsaw

My 3G modem works with gothicknight's latest kernel, usbserial is in there.

#547 2008-11-11 15:03:08

Dooley

Ah sweet, Ill have to grab that!

Cheers for the reply.

#548 2008-11-11 20:34:17

Determination

Probably another simple thing I missing...

I'm running 2.6.27 with a modified gothicknight config - mainly for joystick and bluetooth support.

But, whenever I try to install a new kernel module, it seems like it compiles and installs for a different kernel. I'm compling these modules (FUSE / sshfs) using ABS, and it seems successful, but when I try to modprobe, it can't find it. When I do a find, the module is no where to be found... I should find them (FUSE / sshfs specifically) in /lib/modules/<kernel>/fs/ right? Is that were pacman-installed kernel modules (filesystem) get installed? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

Last edited by Determination (2008-11-11 21:15:50)

#549 2008-11-12 08:07:12

thomasd

Determination wrote:

Probably another simple thing I missing...

I'm running 2.6.27 with a modified gothicknight config - mainly for joystick and bluetooth support.

But, whenever I try to install a new kernel module, it seems like it compiles and installs for a different kernel. I'm compling these modules (FUSE / sshfs) using ABS, and it seems successful, but when I try to modprobe, it can't find it. When I do a find, the module is no where to be found... I should find them (FUSE / sshfs specifically) in /lib/modules/<kernel>/fs/ right? Is that were pacman-installed kernel modules (filesystem) get installed? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

I think you have to modify the PKGBUILD of the module too use 2.6.27-one instead of 2.6.27-ARCH. However, when I was using gothicknight's kernel, fuse was already compiled in-kernel, no need for a module. But I don't know about the latest version, as I am back to the stock kernel for now.

#550 2008-11-12 12:32:40

thomasd

Hi all,

good news for the sound issues. I was just looking around for possible model= configurations and found that one has been added to 2.6.28 which is especially for the AA1. See here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/g … =HEAD#l847

EDIT: more info here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/g … 3861e83e4b

EDIT2: I updated the wiki with some information how to build the modules if you want to use this in stock kernel 2.6.27 series. I have no idea, if this breaks something with the package managing, but the 2.6.27-ARCH directory should be completely vanished anyway when 2.6.28 comes.
I am using this right now, but have no time to test all features like sound after suspend or internal mic.

Last edited by thomasd (2008-11-13 08:01:01)

Board footer