You are not logged in.

#576 2008-11-27 19:48:10

gothicknight

Re: Acer Aspire One

Bug fix only... I've still got to find time to patch the kernel.

Also, the 2.6.28 is around the corner...

#577 2008-11-30 16:02:43

antis

Don't know if this has already been discussed, but has anyone noticed weird behaviour of the pciehp module?
If I start up the laptop with pciehp disabled, the hotplugging of memory cards of course doesn''t work.
When I modprobe pciehp, the /var/log/messages file is flooded with lines like:

pciehp: Card present on Slot(1)
pciehp: Card not present on Slot(1)

Also, at the time of modprobing pciehp, the ethernet card dissapears from lspci!?

As for the ethernetcard dissapearing, I don't really care because I never use it, but the excessive logging to /var/log/messages is bothering me.

Is anyone else seeing this? I'm running the latest stock Arch kernel, 2.6.27 by the way...

Last edited by antis (2008-12-07 15:02:39)

#578 2008-11-30 20:45:16

thomasd

With the recent upgrade of Xorg and input device hotplugging, I can't get my touchpad working. I tried to disable the hotplugging and automatic detection, but my old configuration did not work. Then I tried to go with the hotplugging by hal and modified the relevant .fdi files. This got my QWERTZ keyboard layout correct, but Synaptics does not seem to care about the settings. Also my PageDown key is not working.
So, when anybody got his/her configuration right, can you please post it here?

My mouse is awfully slow and only the buttons are working, no tapping or scrolling. And PageDown is broken as said above. Any help is highly appreciated.

#579 2008-11-30 21:03:21

Inkaine

thomas, I had the same earlier after xf86-input-synaptics was updated from 0.15 to 0.99 in testing. What worked for me was commenting out all input device sections in xorg.conf + changes in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi. Mainly moving all options from default "bcm5974" to info.product="Synaptics TouchPad" section. Thereafter everything worked fine again, options can easily be controled through gsynaptic.

To make sure, this is my 11-x11-synaptics.fdi:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
      <match key="info.product" contains="Synaptics TouchPad">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
    <!-- Arbitrary options can be passed to the driver using 
         the input.x11_options property since xorg-server-1.5. -->
    <!-- EXAMPLE:
    <merge key="input.x11_options.LeftEdge" type="string">120</merge>
    -->
        <merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">true</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.LeftEdge" type="string">1700</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.RightEdge" type="string">5300</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.TopEdge" type="string">1700</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.BottomEdge" type="string">4200</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger1" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger2" type="string">3</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.ClickFinger3" type="string">2</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizEdgeScroll" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">0</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll" type="string">0</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizScrollDelta" type="string">0</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertScrollDelta" type="string">100</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.PressureMotionMinZ" type="string">10</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.FingerLow" type="string">25</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.FingerHigh" type="string">30</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.FingerPress" type="string">256</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.PalmDetect" type="string">0</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.PalmMinWidth" type="string">10</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.PalmMinZ" type="string">200</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MinSpeed" type="string">0.09</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxSpeed" type="string">0.18</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.AccelFactor" type="string">0.0015</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxTapMove" type="string">220</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxTapTime" type="string">180</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxDoubleTapTime" type="string">200</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">2</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">3</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.RTCornerButton" type="string">0</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.RBCornerButton" type="string">0</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.LTCornerButton" type="string">0</merge>
    <merge key="input.x11_options.LBCornerButton" type="string">0</merge>
    <!--merge key="input.x11_options.CornerCoasting" type="string">true</merge-->
      </match>
      <match key="info.product" contains="AlpsPS/2 ALPS">
      </match>
      <match key="info.product" contains="appletouch">
      </match>
      <match key="info.product" contains="bcm5974">
      </match>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

#580 2008-11-30 21:36:52

scottro
Website

Unfortunately, due to time and work constraints, I'm only a casual Arch user these days.  I just tried to put it on the AA1 following the usually excellent wiki instructions.

I did get it installed, but it seems as if the 2.6.25 kernel which is what most people will grab, including me) doesn't have support for either wireless (which I knew--I've become a self-styled expert on that card) or, to my surprised, the wired ethernet as well.

That should definitely be on the wiki.  Going back, I see that there is mention that one should use the r8169 with kernels greater or equal to higher than the 2.6.25, but having no mention that the existing iso or image on most mirrors that is marked as latest doesn't support wired ethernet should be remedied.

It also makes it necessary for the reader to search further, either looking for an iso that does support the card, or finding other workarounds.  In my case, I just copied over a MadWifi tarball, got wireless working and updated that way, but it does strike me as a serious omission.

Although it does say that one should choose a kernel 2.6.27, I don't see this option during installation, using the 2008.06 core i686 image. 

I haven't gone through this whole thread to see the solution.  If it's in this thread, then shouldn't it be on the wiki to make it easy to find?

Thanks.

#581 2008-11-30 22:42:34

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

i have 2 questions for you guys

been running arch on the aa1 for quite a while now.. from time to time (very infrequently) i get a hard lockup - the screen freezes, the caps lock LED blinks, and the only way out is a hard reset. has anybody else been experiencing this? is there a known cause? or a way to prevent this?

is anybody using acerfand? (http://www.netbooktech.com/2008/09/17/f … and-linux/)
the fan IS very noisy so being able to turn it off most of the time is very important to me. however - is this safe/recommended? just now i stumbled on http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=501137 ...

by the way - finally switched to the gothik kernel, works great smile

oh, one more thing: truecrypt gives me the following error ..

"/proc/misc: no entry for device-mapper found. is device mapper driver missing from kernel?"

google says the solution is module dm-mod, but I suspect it's compiled into the kernel.. can anybody confirm this/know how to get it working?

Last edited by schuay (2008-12-01 09:42:36)

#582 2008-12-01 08:49:10

thomasd

Inkaine wrote:

thomas, I had the same earlier after xf86-input-synaptics was updated from 0.15 to 0.99 in testing. What worked for me was commenting out all input device sections in xorg.conf + changes in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi. Mainly moving all options from default "bcm5974" to info.product="Synaptics TouchPad" section. Thereafter everything worked fine again, options can easily be controled through gsynaptic.

Thanks for your help. I have my AA1 not here now, but I see that I missed that the TapButton options are new to this version of synaptics. Maybe I can get away with the configuration in xorg.conf. I don't want HAL just for running X, that would be unneeded bloat.

#583 2008-12-01 20:09:24

Zom

I'm also having trouble with the new X. I've tried the fix for synaptics, and it works, but now I'm going to tackle the keyboard problems. Also having trouble with suspend not working, will take a look around. If someone gets everything to work it would be awesome to paste their xorg.conf and such.

E: Got keyboard working corretly by following this post, will try suspend next.

E2: Got suspend working via editing PolicyKit as stated in this post

Last edited by Zom (2008-12-01 23:07:10)

#584 2008-12-02 08:05:09

thomasd

I managed to get the touchpad and keyboard working the old way without HAL. I updated the example xorg.conf in the Wiki. Thanks again to Inkaine who brought up the additional options that are needed to set up synaptics. I just set them in xorg.conf instead of the .fdi file and it works fine.

#585 2008-12-02 21:07:53

ichbinesderelch

anyone usng kdemod on the aa1 and also having a totally screwed systray since the xorg update?

edit: removing Option      '"MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"' solved the problem

Last edited by ichbinesderelch (2008-12-02 21:17:48)

#586 2008-12-03 20:00:52

luciferin

I just got in the 150X model and I'm having trouble with suspend.  It looks like X keeps restarting every few second, I never get more than a black screen with the mouse cursor on it.  Anyone have any ideas why this happens?  I'm guessing the 150X has a different video card than most AA1s.
Oh, and anyone know if the webcam on this model is supported?

#587 2008-12-03 21:51:03

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

suspend on the 150x works fine here.. are you in the "power" group? have you checked /var/log/pm-suspend.log ?
the webcam is supported using the uvcvideo module. search for uvc in AUR for viewer - luvcview should work.

#588 2008-12-03 22:17:26

ahaslam

The wiki here & the 'one' kernel have made installing & using Arch on my A110L a breeze & a pleasure, thank you to everyone involved.

Has anyone got got 720p x264 video playback? I've heard that the Windows crowd can do it but it's a no go here, either smooth but slow & out of sync or a slide show. I've compiled ffmpeg & x264 from SVN/GIT with CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math -ftree-vectorize" & launched with 'ffplay -fast -threads 2 title.mp4' with only minor (perhaps placebo) improvements.

#589 2008-12-04 03:30:08

luciferin

schuay wrote:

suspend on the 150x works fine here.. are you in the "power" group? have you checked /var/log/pm-suspend.log ?
the webcam is supported using the uvcvideo module. search for uvc in AUR for viewer - luvcview should work.

Webcam IS working, thank you.  Suspened is still causing problems though.  With the "intel" driver X just keeps resetting.  "vesa" works fine, as does running pm-suspend from the virtual console (however, launching X after this still doesn't work for the "intel" driver).  Any ideas?

#590 2008-12-04 21:43:43

retsaw

schuay wrote:

is anybody using acerfand? (http://www.netbooktech.com/2008/09/17/f … and-linux/)
the fan IS very noisy so being able to turn it off most of the time is very important to me. however - is this safe/recommended? just now i stumbled on http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=501137 ...

I should think this is safe.  The worst that can come from not locking the register is that another program could also modify the register turning the fan off and on when you don't want it to.  I haven't had a look at that script to see if it polls the register to ensure it is in the state it expects it to be in, which would somewhat mitigate the effects of not being able to lock the register.

I prefer to mostly leave the fan on (mine isn't too noisy and is only annoying in quieter environments) and have created a much simpler script to allow me to manually control the fan's state, but when I was testing having the fan off, the fan did once kick in automatically when the laptop got quite hot which leads me to believe there is a safety override on this, so you shouldn't be able to cook your AA1 by having the fan off, but I haven't updated the BIOS so there is a possibility (though unlikely) this doesn't apply to newer BIOSes.

However, heat is what causes Li-ion batteries to lose capacity, the fan keeps the AA1 cool and draws heat away from the battery, so having the fan off will likely reduce the life of your battery.

#591 2008-12-07 15:01:53

antis

Now when all the xorg-upgrade problems seems to have settled for most people I'll take a chance to ask my previous question again... See below.
Any suggestions what do to about this issue is well appreciated.

antis wrote:

If I start up the laptop with pciehp disabled the hotplugging of memory cards of course doesn't work.
When I modprobe pciehp, the /var/log/messages file is flooded with lines like:

pciehp: Card present on Slot(1)
pciehp: Card not present on Slot(1)

Also, at the time of modprobing pciehp, the ethernet card dissapears from lspci!?

As for the ethernetcard dissapearing, I don't really care because I never use it, but the excessive logging to /var/log/messages is bothering me.

Is anyone else seeing this? I'm running the latest stock Arch kernel, 2.6.27 by the way...

#592 2008-12-07 16:16:09

luciferin

I think my suspend issues have something to do with the madwifi drivers.  I switched to the ath5k module for a while and I was able to suspend/resume without any problems.  However with the ath5k module my wifi dropped out after 20 minutes and I had to turn of the netbook and let it sit for a few minutes to get it back (wireless didn't work under Windows either).  Hopefully in the next kernel release the driver gets better.

@antis:  I can confirm the same problem with the pciehp.  It seems to stem from adding this line to /etc/modprobe.d/pciehp as the wiki recommends

options pciehp pciehp_force=1

So for now it looks like we have the tradeoff between automounting of cards and an ethernet adapter.

#593 2008-12-07 18:05:48

antis

luciferin wrote:

@antis:  I can confirm the same problem with the pciehp.  It seems to stem from adding this line to /etc/modprobe.d/pciehp as the wiki recommends

options pciehp pciehp_force=1

So for now it looks like we have the tradeoff between automounting of cards and an ethernet adapter.

Thanks luciferin, good to hear (sort of...) that I'm not the only one with the problem. As I said, I can live without the ethernet adapter but I'd like to stop the log-flooding eventhough I log everything to tmpfs. I'll keep on googling on this smile

#594 2008-12-08 08:37:40

thomasd

Well, it is me who wrote the wiki section about hotplugging, but I did not know about the problems at the time of writing.
I disabled the syslog-ng daemon, as I do not care about logs on a working system. This also solved the flooding of the logs as there are no logs :-)
Also I do not care about eth0, I use only wlan0.

Maybe we should add the known problems to the wiki.

#595 2008-12-09 07:41:37

Determination

anyone else having issues with the display hanging after killing X (via exit or control-alt-backspace)? I exit openbox, and the screen blanks but the backlight stays on...

#596 2008-12-09 09:57:53

thomasd

Determination wrote:

anyone else having issues with the display hanging after killing X (via exit or control-alt-backspace)? I exit openbox, and the screen blanks but the backlight stays on...

Yes. But not everytime. Sometimes I get the vt after some time, sometimes I have some crazy color errors on the screen and never get to the vt.
For me this is not dependent on the framebuffer used.

#597 2008-12-09 10:31:42

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

Determination wrote:

unfortionately i can also confirm this sad i've been working around this by only exiting X using shutdown -h now ...

#598 2008-12-09 11:49:56

sessy

Since the upgrade to the latest kernel ("official", not "-one") I have no networking. Lan does not work (dhcp times out), iwlist wlan0 scan returns nothing.
What would be the steps to fix wireless? I can't makepkg, since I have no net (I can transfer files via usb tho).

Any ideas welcome.

TIA!

#599 2008-12-09 12:38:36

Fackamato

sessy wrote:

Since the upgrade to the latest kernel ("official", not "-one") I have no networking. Lan does not work (dhcp times out), iwlist wlan0 scan returns nothing.
What would be the steps to fix wireless? I can't makepkg, since I have no net (I can transfer files via usb tho).

Any ideas welcome.

TIA!

Don't you have the old package still? In /var/cache/pacman or something.

#600 2008-12-09 12:40:28

thomasd

sessy wrote:

Do you have 2.6.27.7 from extra? I have no problems with the wireless networking with this version.

Board footer