You are not logged in.

#726 2009-01-04 14:26:52

zblach

Re: Acer Aspire One

bulat: check your keyboard mappings. I had no arrow support until I changed my keyboard layout to US from DE, but that's a regional thing

phabulosa: dm-crypt is built into the kernel. does this mean I don't have to add the encrypt hook to the mkinitcpio.conf files?

-Z

#727 2009-01-04 14:37:57

gothicknight

Now, this has evolved severly since my last post. Let's see if I don't forget anyone.

@Andy, sure, debug symbols shouldn't exist in stable packages unless stritcly necessary, I'll search the .config for them, the NFS I think I can add it as modules without big consequences for all.

@m_kylli: I use ext4 as my /home partition without a single problem, but I think I can analyse the consequences of enable CONFIG_LSF and if so, enable on next release.

@kaola_linux: Yeah, my AA1 also brings to an halt when I'm updating. I think is because of write starvation but this is because I enable noop for a faster writting.

@bulat: Hibernation requires swap or some sort of space reservation, which I don't think is stritcly necessarie for a laptop that can boot in under 15 seconds or that can suspend for quite some time. Although phabulosa has already uploaded a patched version of it, so... if that is indeed important give it a try wink

@bulat: That's a problem with the new Xserver it's not related with AA1 directly: http://archlinux.org/news/424/

@phabulosa: Congratz on the kernel build, it's always nice to see more ideas put into place. Now one question... why didn't you use only the intelfb, it gives you native framebuffer support, no need for mkinitcpio images to use uvesa AFAIK.

Now, for the SD card expansion issues. I really don't have any problem such as a bunch of people here already stated they didn't. So it's really hard for me to say the core reason of this can someone post a dmesg of that happening?

#728 2009-01-04 18:12:24

phabulosa
Website

zblach wrote:

bulat: check your keyboard mappings. I had no arrow support until I changed my keyboard layout to US from DE, but that's a regional thing

phabulosa: dm-crypt is built into the kernel. does this mean I don't have to add the encrypt hook to the mkinitcpio.conf files?

-Z

I am still exploring the issue of dm-crypt. Personally, I have never used it before.
However, my guess is that if you put all required modules into the kernel, you still need to run the "encrypt hook" because there are userspace tools required to boot from an encrypted root.

I am not planning to use an encrypted root, but only certain files and directories. So, this is not an issue for me.

If you need this feature, you can simply change the mkinitcpio-working.conf file.

#729 2009-01-04 18:24:38

zblach

If you need this feature, you can simply change the mkinitcpio-working.conf file.

By adding the encrypt hook? Or what else?

-Z

#730 2009-01-04 18:25:12

phabulosa
Website

gothicknight wrote:

Now, this has evolved severly since my last post. Let's see if I don't forget anyone.

@Andy, sure, debug symbols shouldn't exist in stable packages unless stritcly necessary, I'll search the .config for them, the NFS I think I can add it as modules without big consequences for all.

@m_kylli: I use ext4 as my /home partition without a single problem, but I think I can analyse the consequences of enable CONFIG_LSF and if so, enable on next release.

@kaola_linux: Yeah, my AA1 also brings to an halt when I'm updating. I think is because of write starvation but this is because I enable noop for a faster writting.

@bulat: Hibernation requires swap or some sort of space reservation, which I don't think is stritcly necessarie for a laptop that can boot in under 15 seconds or that can suspend for quite some time. Although phabulosa has already uploaded a patched version of it, so... if that is indeed important give it a try wink

@bulat: That's a problem with the new Xserver it's not related with AA1 directly: http://archlinux.org/news/424/

@phabulosa: Congratz on the kernel build, it's always nice to see more ideas put into place. Now one question... why didn't you use only the intelfb, it gives you native framebuffer support, no need for mkinitcpio images to use uvesa AFAIK.

Now, for the SD card expansion issues. I really don't have any problem such as a bunch of people here already stated they didn't. So it's really hard for me to say the core reason of this can someone post a dmesg of that happening?

@gothicknight: I am just such a "perfectionist" and I don't want to see any error messages during boot. As you know, you still see MTRR error with intelfb and I don't like that. On another hand, I want tuxonice, userui, fbsplash feature and I believe those need an initramfs. Most wikis I can find all involves mkinitcpio, so I decided to abandon your "no-initramfs" route. Then, it doesn't hurt to add uvesafb into the initcpio. smile

#731 2009-01-04 18:47:11

phabulosa
Website

zblach wrote:

By adding the encrypt hook? Or what else?

-Z

yes, I meant add encrypt hook.

#732 2009-01-04 18:47:24

bulat

Thanks for the link about keyboard smile I use XFCE and I had to choose "Acer Laptop" model in it's keyboard indicator plugin.

#733 2009-01-04 18:54:23

zblach

problem is, that when I add the encrypt hook and run mkinitcpio, it complains about a missing dm-crypt module. i had the same issue with the kernel26-one build, and booting it always ended in tears.

also, the kernel26-oneice kernel has a bit of an issue. it depends on freetype2-static, which is incompatible with freetype2, which X depends upon.

hmm

-Z

#734 2009-01-04 23:57:33

phabulosa
Website

zblach wrote:

problem is, that when I add the encrypt hook and run mkinitcpio, it complains about a missing dm-crypt module. i had the same issue with the kernel26-one build, and booting it always ended in tears.

also, the kernel26-oneice kernel has a bit of an issue. it depends on freetype2-static, which is incompatible with freetype2, which X depends upon.

hmm

-Z

You can ignore the complain about missing dm-crypt module because it was built into the kernel. "encrypt hook" will look for that module and report missing, but it will work anyway.

Regarding freetype2-static, please go to the AUR webpage and read the comment and change "replaces=" in PKGBUILD , it replaces freetype2 perfectly.

#735 2009-01-05 06:11:07

zblach

after some serious fun permanently unencrypting my root partition, i've gotten the oneice kernel installed an working. still some trouble with alsa, but i'm working on it.

can i suggest a slight change to the kernel config? enable CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_STAT. powertop wants it for P-state monitoring.

also, switching to terminals is now done with alt+f# as opposed to ctrl+alt+f#. maybe it's something that changed here, but it clashes with my wm config. investigating solutions.

also also, i'm having more kernel starvation issues with this build than with the stock. hmm

-Z

#736 2009-01-05 07:30:23

kaola_linux

Zom wrote:
kaola_linux wrote:

I'm having problems on my AA1 110 using kernel26-one after suspend...Sound doesn't work after suspend...Someone having similar problem as well?:(

Are you perhaps still using the 'snd-hda-intel.model=acer' in grub? If so, either remove it or change acer to acer-aspire. smile

this is my new /etc/modprobe.d/sound

options snd-hda-intel model=acer-aspire

Is this correct?:)

Thanks

I'm using the elevator=deadline, the halt is still present...:)

Any updates on the latest kernel26-one? Someone using it? How is it?  I'm still on the .27 version...:D

Last edited by kaola_linux (2009-01-05 07:34:49)

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

#737 2009-01-05 16:48:43

Zom

@kaola:
The modprobe.d/sound doesn't work, since the drivers are compiled into the kernel. Whatever you put there doesn't matter, since it won't use it. The acer-aspire fix was introduced in the .28 kernel, so you don't have the drivers for it yet.

As I've said, the .28-kernel works just fine for me. Give it a try.

#738 2009-01-05 18:10:39

zblach

@phabulosa
Okay, no encrypted root, but the kernel has no problem with luks encrypted partitions. haven't had time to test much yet (changed that kernel flag tho'), but am having pm-suspend problems. related possibly to tuxonice maybe? i've never used it.

"/usr/lib/pm-utils/pm-functions: line 259: echo: write error: Device or resource busy"

that, and the alt+f# capture are all that appear to be problematic currently. nicely done smile

-Z

#739 2009-01-05 18:36:42

phabulosa
Website

zblach wrote:

@phabulosa
Okay, no encrypted root, but the kernel has no problem with luks encrypted partitions. haven't had time to test much yet (changed that kernel flag tho'), but am having pm-suspend problems. related possibly to tuxonice maybe? i've never used it.

"/usr/lib/pm-utils/pm-functions: line 259: echo: write error: Device or resource busy"

that, and the alt+f# capture are all that appear to be problematic currently. nicely done smile

-Z

I am not using pm-utils, but hibernate-script instead. The hibernate feature works flawlessly for me.

#740 2009-01-05 19:14:14

zblach

ah. that could be the thing.

i've not used hibernate on laptops. i haven't setup a swap/resume partition. hmm

geh. i'll keep fiddling.

-Z

#741 2009-01-05 20:44:42

bulat

Yeah, it seems that tuxonice prevents from suspending. But pm-utils have a support tuxonice (although I could not make it working).

#742 2009-01-06 03:17:09

bnolsen

running kernel26-one 2.6.18-1 I get this error when trying to hot plug my 16GB SDHC:

[   37.427033] mmc0: error -84 whilst initialising SD card

#743 2009-01-06 03:22:31

kaola_linux

Where did you inserted the SDHC? Left or right?

@Zom: Is the suspend working on the .28 kernel out of the box?  The reason I'm not using the .28 is that it has problems automounting or mounting the SD on the right slot...:)

Last edited by kaola_linux (2009-01-06 03:24:54)

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

#744 2009-01-06 08:21:41

bulat

Built my own kernel26-one 2.6.28 with blackjack and hookers (gentoo-patches and squashfs). Suspend works out of the box. Did not try cardreaders yet. The only problem is with wifi LED.

#745 2009-01-06 11:04:25

bulat

About problems with tuxonice and suspend:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_ … end-to-ram

Write error
    If # echo mem > /sys/power/state shows "write error: Operation not permitted", verify that CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU option is enabled in the kernel. Suspend2 automatically selects this option.

Broken sysfs interface
    You may experience problems when using # echo standby > /sys/power/state or # echo mem > /sys/power/state (machine goes to sleep and wakes up immediately). This can be avoided by using # echo -n 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep to get it to sleep. This can be also happen if hotplug daemon is still running or if the usb hcd modules are still loaded.

Immediate Resume after Suspend
    If a resume starts a few seconds after suspend a reason might be the USB modules. Unload the modules uhci_hcd a
nd ehci_hcd before you suspend. Users of hibernate-scripts add "UnloadModules uhci_hcd ehci_hcd" to /etc/hibernate/common.conf.

#746 2009-01-06 12:11:55

Zom

@Kaola
I've said so in this very thread that suspend, audio and wireless is working without any need for tweaking. wink

#747 2009-01-06 13:04:42

Tera

bulat wrote:

Built my own kernel26-one 2.6.28 with blackjack and hookers (gentoo-patches and squashfs). Suspend works out of the box. Did not try cardreaders yet. The only problem is with wifi LED.

Have a look of my "Acer Aspire One development kernel" at http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22794. The PKGBUILD includes files "ath5k-patch1.patch" and "ath5k-patch2.patch". If you patch your kernel sources with these two, you get working wifi LEDs roll

#748 2009-01-06 15:41:55

bnolsen

kaola_linux wrote:

Where did you inserted the SDHC? Left or right?

@Zom: Is the suspend working on the .28 kernel out of the box?  The reason I'm not using the .28 is that it has problems automounting or mounting the SD on the right slot...:)

Further info....this was in the left side reader.  Also the exact same message shows up on boot with the card already inserted.

In other news I took a 1GB SD card from my wife and inserted it into the left hand slot.  The card and partition were recognized just fine.

Last edited by bnolsen (2009-01-06 15:44:49)

#749 2009-01-06 17:51:28

bulat

Tera wrote:

Have a look of my "Acer Aspire One development kernel" at http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22794. The PKGBUILD includes files "ath5k-patch1.patch" and "ath5k-patch2.patch". If you patch your kernel sources with these two, you get working wifi LEDs roll

Sounds pretty good! Can you also add squashfs support to your kernel?
Btw, installed xfce4-svn to my netbook. It is very cool (but seems a little unstable smile )

#750 2009-01-06 19:08:48

thomasd

Tera wrote:

Cool, where are the patches from? Are they also included in compat-wireless from wireless.kernel.org? I am on the stock kernel 2.6.28 from the testing repo and do not want to compile the whole kernel just for the LED's.

Board footer