You are not logged in.

#576 2008-10-30 22:38:27

lejonet

Re: Arch on Asus EEE 901

Okay, ive gotten everything installed and ready now, and I dunno if its a good or bad sign that I cant connect to my wireless with the same iwpriv commands I used before, it might just be some of the commands that are wrong? Because I reset the config in my router and now I saw that I have WPA+TKIP, but I hadn't changed that before but before I could still access my wireless even if I told the card it was AES, is that odd or?

And now I come to the crucial part, do you think I should exchange cards with my other laptop? I have a Intel 4965 AGN in the other laptop (the one I am typing from) and ofc the Ralink in the eeepc. On the other laptop I am running Vista 64-bit and Xubuntu 8.04.1, you think that card has good support in both those OSes? If it has that I might consider a swap

Also, I renamed the original mkinitcpio.conf and renamed the mkinitcpio-zeneee.conf to mkinitcpio.conf and rebuilt my initrd image and I still get the "modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.27-zen3eee/modules.dep: No such file or directory" error message on startup (it doesn't affect anything that I know of, my system just continues to boot up and seemingly ignores that error)

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

#577 2008-10-30 23:38:09

Izuil

Im trying to build the driver i linked earlier but I can't, gives some strange error...

make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.27-zen2eee/build: No such file or directory. Stop.
make: *** [LINUX] Error 2

I can see that the build thingy is missing but why is it missing?

#578 2008-10-31 06:38:24

lejonet

@Izuil

I get the exact same error as you do when I try to build that driver too, and I've gotten that error everytime ive tried to build the sources from Ralinks homepage too.
I dunno what could be the problem but I think it could have something with kernel headers to do? But I dont know how modules are really handled so I am not sure on that, anyone could shed som light on it?

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

#579 2008-10-31 10:26:22

vilisov

I've just installed the robertek's kernel on a 901 : what a wonderfull work. thank you.
I've also experienced the same probleme as Izuil when atempting to compile a rt73 module for my usb wifi adapter, so I've tried to make a symlink to my ARCH build directory
/lib/modules/2.6.27-zen2eee/build -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.27-ARCH
this let the module compile and be found by the modprobe comand but this one fail inserting it : invalid module format.
Next, i've got the source from kernel.org, applied robertek zen2 patch again it and tried to make config && make prepare, then, in the module folder that i tried to compile, add a "KERNDIR:= /path/to/my/patched/source/tree"  in the makefile. The module refuse to compile. May be I make to much mistakes, I'm a very new arch user... But I thing it would be nice to be able to get robertek's kernel build directory or may be the .config file to properly prepare the kernel and then be able to compile some needed module.

Last edited by vilisov (2008-10-31 10:34:15)

#580 2008-10-31 10:33:44

slappinjohn

vilisov wrote:

I've just installed the robertek's kernel on a 901 : what a wonderfull work. thank you.
I've also experienced the same probleme as Izuil when atempting to compile a rt73 module for my usb wifi adapter, so I've tried to make a symlink to my ARCH build directory
/lib/modules/2.6.27-zen2eee/build -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.27-ARCH
this let the module compile and be found by the modprobe comand but this one fail inserting it : invalid module format.
Next, i've got the source from kernel.org, applied robertek zen2 patch again it and tried to make config && make prepare, then, in the module folder that i tried to compile, add a KERNDIR path to my patched source tree in the makefile. The module refuse to compile. May be I make to much mistakes, I'm a very new arch user... But I thing it would be nice to be able to get robertek's kernel build directory or may be the .config file to properly prepare the kernel and then be able to compile some needed module.

http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux/arch/
should be what you want, right? cool

#581 2008-10-31 10:43:02

vilisov

slappinjohn wrote:

Hi slappinjohn
That's the place used to download the patch. But what shoud I do to get the kernel build directory?

apply the patch again 2.6.27 stable source, move the kernelconfig-1G to the source tree, rename it to .config and then "make oldconfig"? doing that could i get a valid kernel build directory?

I come from debian and i'm a little confused with the kernel source, kernel headers and so

#582 2008-10-31 10:54:21

slappinjohn

vilisov wrote:
slappinjohn wrote:

Hi slappinjohn
That's the place used to download the patch. But what shoud I do to get the kernel build directory?

apply the patch again 2.6.27 stable source, move the kernelconfig-1G to the source tree, rename it to .config and then "make oldconfig"? doing that could i get a valid kernel build directory?

I come from debian and i'm a little confused with the kernel source, kernel headers and so

ok, all you need is the content of the zen-eee-* directory. There you can find the kernelconfig, patches and the PKGBUILD to build your own kernel package. You just have to change the kernelconfig to suit your needs and type makepkg -c (as normal user) and you'll get the complete kernelpackage with all modules and stuff, install it via pacman -U zen-eee-*.pkg.tar.gz
BTW: if you don't wan't to change the kernelconfig manually edit PKGBUILD and uncomment the make menuconfig line and commet make silentoldconfig and then type makepkg -c

#583 2008-10-31 11:05:51

vilisov

thank you, i will try this

#584 2008-10-31 11:14:53

Izuil

vilisov wrote:

thank you, i will try this

If you succeed with this please tell us smile

#585 2008-10-31 13:04:51

slappinjohn

@chori,@Robertek

During the last days I wondered about the fan starting to spin at 40°C, so I thought about a way to manually controll fan via script/daemon. Goggling lead me to the puppy-linux-guys which build a package for fan-speed-control. Trying to adopt this to Arch. So if you're interested? Maybe as part of acpi or as standalone package... Let me know

#586 2008-10-31 16:09:49

chori

slappinjohn wrote:

@chori,@Robertek

During the last days I wondered about the fan starting to spin at 40°C, so I thought about a way to manually controll fan via script/daemon. Goggling lead me to the puppy-linux-guys which build a package for fan-speed-control. Trying to adopt this to Arch. So if you're interested? Maybe as part of acpi or as standalone package... Let me know

Being cautious, I've left the fan speeds alone.  But there's no reason why you couldn't have a script to manually control it:  all the controls are there in the eee module, available through /proc/eee.

That EEE overclocking page has lots of good information about controlling fan speeds, too.

What I would really like is for someone with a better understanding of CPUs and clock speed than I have to do some tests to see if the Speedstep and dynamic powersaving features really do make a difference in power consumption, and how much changing the FSB helps.  Robertek and I did some tests, but there's still a lot I don't understand about the relationship between dynamic load allocations, clock speeds, and the FSB.

Last edited by chori (2008-10-31 16:22:24)

#587 2008-10-31 16:18:51

chori

For everyone who wants to build their own modules (rt2860sta or otherwise):

What you need to do, as @slappinjohn remarked, is download the kernel package source files at http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux … eee901-1G/ (or 4G, as the case may be).  Put the contents of this directory somewhere on your system, then run "makepkg" or "makepkg -c".  The kernel source will then be downloaded, unpacked, patched, and compiled for you.  The source will be in the "src" subdirectory, the patched and compiled files will be in the "pkg" subdirectory.

Look at the PKGBUILD file to see what exactly occurs to create the kernel package.  You can enter your own commands in there, your own patches, and the next time you run makepkg, your personalized kernel will be built.  Look at the Arch Linux wiki page for the Build System (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS) for more information, and look at "man makepkg".

If you do create a patch or tweak the kernelconfig in a way that solves all your problems, please let the forum know;  and if it's a generally applicable change, Robertek or I will fold the change into the next kernel release.

EDIT:  modules must be built with the headers of the kernel under which it will run, so that all the pointers and addresses mesh cleanly.  That's why you can't build a module against stock source and expect it to work in the zen2eee kernel.

Kernel header packages help with that:  they make the headers used to compile a given version of a kernel available, so that you can compile a module to run in that kernel, without needing to download and recompile the entire kernel source.  Way back at the beginning of time (in page 2 or three of this thread), I requested a kernel-headers package;  I may see if I can build one in the next week or two, time permitting.

Last edited by chori (2008-10-31 16:28:00)

#588 2008-10-31 17:03:33

Izuil

I see from the PKGBUILD that somebody really checked out the drivers I linked, robertek (or somebody else) has rebuilt the kernel again with the 1.7.1.1 drivers smile I'm gonna test it out right away!

EDIT: Okay so I can't download it from the server... It starts out really slow and then I just stops berfore it even reaches 2%...

Could anyone upload it to www.yousendit.com or maybe www.rapidshare.com if you are able to download it?

Last edited by Izuil (2008-10-31 17:24:28)

#589 2008-10-31 18:08:21

Robertek
Website

This is problem because I  dont distribute kernel with sources as stock kernel, it is because of the internet bandwith I have. (this will mean something like >50MB package)

I have solution for you:

cd /usr/src/

wget ftp://ftp.eu.kernel.org/pub/linux/kerne … 27.tar.bz2
wget robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux/arch/zen-eee901-1G/bt-fix.patch.bz2
wget robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux/arch/zen-eee901-1G/elantech-v5-2.6.26.5.patch.bz2
wget robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux/arch/zen-eee901-1G/2.6.27.zen3.patch.bz2

tar -xvjpf linux-2.6.27.tar.bz2

mv linux-2.6.27 linux-2.6.27.zen3eee

cd linux-2.6.27.zen3eee

bzcat ../2.6.27.zen3.patch.bz2 | patch -p1
bzcat ../bt-fix.patch.bz2 | patch -p1
bzcat ../elantech-v5-2.6.26.5.patch.bz2 | patch -p1

wget robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux/arch/zen-eee901-1G/kernelconfig-1G
mv kernelconfig-1G .config

make oldconfig
make prepare (maybe make modules prepare)

ls -s /usr/src/linux-2.6.27-zen3eee /lib/modules/2.6.27-zen3eee/build

This is a little workaround to be able to compile modules. Hope I didnt forgot for something.

#590 2008-10-31 19:25:03

Beket

Hi Robertek and others.

The last couple of days I am unable to pacman -Syu if I have the:
http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux/arch enabled in my pacman.conf.

It gets stucked indefinitely in:
:: Retrieving packages from zen-eee...
acpi-eee901-13-10-i686

Best regards,
Stathis Kamperis

#591 2008-10-31 20:19:51

Izuil

Beket wrote:

Hi Robertek and others.

The last couple of days I am unable to pacman -Syu if I have the:
http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux/arch enabled in my pacman.conf.

It gets stucked indefinitely in:
:: Retrieving packages from zen-eee...
acpi-eee901-13-10-i686

Best regards,
Stathis Kamperis

It's been the same way for all of us I think, probably something wrong with the server sad

EDIT: Boo yah! The 1.7.1.1 driver works like a charm! I can now use netcfg with wpa smile

Though I had to manually load the module since at startup it said it didn't exist :S

Thanks a lot robertek!

EDIT2: After having loaded the module manually it didn't complain the next time I restarted either, everything works like a charm smile

Last edited by Izuil (2008-10-31 23:47:13)

#592 2008-11-01 02:01:12

Blind

Alright, so earlier I said the silver keys won't work anymore since zen3. Here is what I get in /var/log/everything.log:

Oct 31 20:17:06 buster ACPI: EC: GPE storm detected, try to use ec_intr=0 kernel option, if you see problems with keyboard.
Oct 31 20:17:06 buster logger: Could not verify user for X:
Oct 31 20:17:06 buster logger: moe vc/1 Oct 31 20:15
Oct 31 20:17:06 buster logger: Falling back to XUSER: moe
Oct 31 20:17:26 buster asusosd: Unable to determine FSB state in file '/var/state/fsb/osd'.  Returning.

Notice the 20s between pressing the third (FSB changing) silver key and the message of the OSD. This also happens for the bluetooth...
Thanks for the attention,
Blind

#593 2008-11-01 12:31:23

Izuil

I managed to download the newest kernel (4G version) and uploaded it to yousendit.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y2ov … SHhjR0E9PQ

I also downloaded the acpi.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/Y2ov … VWxjR0E9PQ

Hope this helps someone smile

#594 2008-11-01 13:12:12

slappinjohn

chori wrote:

Being cautious, I've left the fan speeds alone.  But there's no reason why you couldn't have a script to manually control it:  all the controls are there in the eee module, available through /proc/eee.

That EEE overclocking page has lots of good information about controlling fan speeds, too.

My idea too, don't wan't to crash CPU, but after BIOS-upgrade the fan starts at a very low temperature (don't even reach 50°C) so I had to think of an improvement. And for not reinventing the wheel I used the puppy-linux stuff (they use the eee module too). Just have to do some slight improvements for running script as daemon then I'll put it to AUR.

Last edited by slappinjohn (2008-11-01 14:01:09)

#595 2008-11-01 15:50:58

Izuil

Is there a simple way to check my battery power?

I installed xfce4-battery-plugin for the xfce4-panel but it won't start.
My guess is that I'm missing a vital module but which one?

#596 2008-11-01 15:53:25

Etuxia
Website

Izuil wrote:

ibam

You should use ibam -a and take the bios battery time

#597 2008-11-03 01:27:08

elliott

Robertek:

Your latest kernel has a little problem, the initramfs is being made for zen2eee, when it should be zen3eee, causing a kernel panic on boot.

KERNEL_VERSION=2.6.27-zen2eee needs to be KERNEL_VERSION=2.6.27-zen3eee in the zen-eee901.install file.

#598 2008-11-03 07:10:08

vilisov

Izuil

did you succeed in compiling your module? the trick given by robertek did the job. there is a point that can be usefull : If the path to the module's sources i want to compile contain space, the make fail. Not any space char in the path and all work fine.

#599 2008-11-03 10:39:56

vilisov

Izuil wrote:

loading xfce4-battery-plugin produce segfault since it has been updated to 0.5.1

there is fix at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=443256

#600 2008-11-03 18:25:58

lejonet

I finally got the time to work on my little fella tongue

I got SLiM and xfce4 to work like I wanted it and solved some permission issues with that but I still cant get around this wireless problem sad

I looked at wicd.log and it sends DHCPDISCOVER but never recieves any answer from the dhcp server, but when I put in a wire it works flawlessly. But atleast the log confirms what I already suspected/knew, that something goes wrong when trying to request dhcp. I uninstalled Dhcpcd and reinstalled dhclient like one of the threads in the forum suggested, no result sad

I found that I didn't have dhcdbd nor dhcp installed (You'd think they'd be dependencies for dhclient but they aint o.O) so I installed them but still, same result as before, sends loads of DHCPDISCOVER's before eventually hang up.

I am now going to do the fix that Robertek suggested to be able to build modules from source and try the rt2860sta source that Izuil found and hope it works, I dont think it will be much difference tho seeing as it seemingly looks like a problem with the dhclient or atleast with dhcp requesting.

Edit:
Now I feel sooo stupid, I tried with wext driver and it worked immediatly tongue Thanks for the new kernel Robertek wink Now I am going to enjoy my eeepc ^^

Last edited by lejonet (2008-11-03 19:59:46)

Board footer