You are not logged in.

#51 2008-09-06 09:04:14

boris_

Re: Who uses sudo?

I use sudo. Got used to it from Ubuntu days.

#52 2008-09-06 09:08:17

moljac024

sudo is the dark side of permission gaining! tongue

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#53 2008-09-06 09:42:04

Rokixz
Website

zyghom wrote:

I use sudo as I'm "post-ubuntu" guy wink

+1 big_smile

http://ispconfig.lt - ISPConfig 3 based hosting. Coming Soon!

#54 2008-09-06 10:16:28

Exitium

Rokixz wrote:
zyghom wrote:

I use sudo as I'm "post-ubuntu" guy wink

+1 big_smile

And +1. big_smile

#55 2008-09-06 10:49:34

B-Con
Website

Acecero wrote:
haxit wrote:

Well I am pleased to hear this. Many other people hate sudo :S

What's there to hate in a utility? If people don't like it, don't use it. It's simple.

I believe it's because some people think it can encourage poor security practices. Like granting wheel (or equivalent) groups NOPASSWD privileges for insecure tasks, absent-mindedly using sudo for tasks that do not require it (thus elevating permissions when one does not need to), or mismanaging the accepted paths for sudo.

Not that keeping a root console around and/or working mainly in one doesn't have some of the same problems.

sudo is a wonderful tool. If nothing else, it gets me sandwiches late at night when nothing else will. :-)

#56 2008-09-06 12:55:30

ruscook
Website

boris_ wrote:

I use sudo. Got used to it from Ubuntu days.

+1
but if I'm gonna use a string of commands I'll use sudo -i to open a root shell.

Russ

#57 2008-09-06 19:16:49

b9anders

Army wrote:

I use sudo, when I only do short things with root rights. If I do more I switch to root completely. But please don't use

su

but

su -

You'll see the difference smile

What is the difference?

#58 2008-09-06 20:18:28

moljac024

b9anders wrote:
Army wrote:

I use sudo, when I only do short things with root rights. If I do more I switch to root completely. But please don't use

su

but

su -

You'll see the difference smile

What is the difference?

It's not that big on Arch wink

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#59 2008-09-06 20:49:56

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

b9anders wrote:

What is the difference?

The default behavior of

su

is to maintain the current directory and the environmental variables of the original user (rather than switch to those of the new user).
It sometimes can be advantageous for a system administrator to use the shell account of an ordinary user rather than its own. In particular, occasionally the most efficient way to solve a user's problem is to log into that user's account in order to reproduce or debug the problem.

However, in many situations it is not desirable, or it can even be dangerous, for the root user to be operating from an ordinary user's shell account and with that account's environmental variables rather than from its own. While inadvertently using an ordinary user's shell account, root could install a program or make other changes to the system that would not have the same result as if they were made while using the root account. For instance, a program could be installed that could give the ordinary user power to accidentally damage the system or gain unauthorized access to certain data.

Thus, it is advisable that administrative users, as well as any other users that are authorized to use su (of which there should be very few, if any), acquire the habit of always following the su command with a space and then a hyphen. The hyphen has two effects: (1) it switches the current directory to the home directory of the new user (e.g., to /root in the case of the root user) and (2) it changes the environmental variables to those of the new user. That is, if the first argument to su is a hyphen, the current directory and environment will be changed to what would be expected if the new user had actually logged on to a new session (rather than just taking over an existing session).

Thus, administrators should generally use su as follows:

su -

An identical result is produced by adding the username root, i.e.,

su - root

Likewise, the same can be done for any other user, e.g., for a user named bob:

su - bob

You may want to make an alias in your .bashrc to assign su to su -, especially if you're too lazy to type su - every time.

#60 2008-09-07 03:45:51

jb

Other than for s2ram, I just use su.

#61 2008-09-07 05:57:53

wirenik

When I was using Ubuntu they ALWAYS said "type sudo xyz into the terminal" or "run abc in bash" or "don't forget to add sudo to that!" so I got used to using sudo all the time. For heavy-duty system configuration and stuff I'll use su -, but that's pretty rare.

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

#62 2008-09-07 07:31:08

moljac024

wirenik wrote:

When I was using Ubuntu they ALWAYS said "type sudo xyz into the terminal" or "run abc in bash" or "don't forget to add sudo to that!" so I got used to using sudo all the time. For heavy-duty system configuration and stuff I'll use su -, but that's pretty rare.

I used Ubuntu as my first Linux distro too. And you know what ? When I switched to Fedora I was amazed at how su made more sense than sudo.

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-09-07 07:31:31)

#63 2008-09-07 11:54:22

tdjy

Acecero wrote:

What's there to hate in a utility? If people don't like it, don't use it. It's simple.

Because ubuntu uses it, and ubuntu is the most popular distro.  That means certain people will look down on anything related to it.  These certain people will come up with excuses to hate it.  Yes, these certain people have strange tendencies.

They will reflexively gag at anything windows related, regardless of whether the specific topic in question is good or bad.  They will use lightwave 3d on windows but if they need to ask a question about it on the forums, they will feel compelled to throw in a *shudder, windows i know right? bleh* in parentheses.

They will claim to hate ubuntu because "it's so buggy" and they "couldn't even get their new ipod to work in it" and "it's so bloated".. so they use fedora - a buggier, less compatible, more bloated version of ubuntu.. but it's not called ubuntu, so they don't have to come up with excuses to despise it.

They will have a quad core with 8gb ram but insist on running the graphical environment of a pentium 2.  Do they use xmonad because they like it better than gnome?  No.  They use it because the bloated gnome hogs an unthinkable 0.4% of their ram, which exceeds the allowble limit of 0.0025% required for their system to run smoothly.

Just a few of my pet peeves.

#64 2008-09-07 15:10:12

Renan Birck
Website

I do. It works for quick jobs, but for more intensive stuff I use su.

#65 2008-09-07 16:24:43

Shaika-Dzari
Website

I only use sudo for shutdown.
Otherwise, a shell with su.

I never understand why people prefer sudo hmm

#66 2008-09-07 16:32:19

carlocci

I never use the root account.
The last time I accidentally moved /var/* to /var/tmp.
With sudo I usually write the command, then execute it, then notice I need root permission, up, home, write "sudo ", enter. This way I double check the command everytime.

#67 2008-09-07 23:44:24

wirenik

carlocci wrote:

With sudo I usually write the command, then execute it, then notice I need root permission, up, home, write "sudo ", enter. This way I double check the command everytime.

An easier way to do that is typing sudo !!, which prepends sudo to the most recently executed command. wink

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

#68 2008-09-08 00:37:07

sand_man

alias pacman='sudo pacman'

neutral

#69 2008-09-08 07:22:07

b9anders

Misfit138 wrote:
b9anders wrote:

What is the difference?

You may want to make an alias in your .bashrc to assign su to su -, especially if you're too lazy to type su - every time.

That was a very clear explanation. Thanks.

I use sudo for a select few tasks I need/want my normal user to have higher privileges for like suspend to ram and disk, netcfg and, annoyingly, opening the systemsettings panel in kde4.

I have been thinking about adding yaourt to my sudo file, but I really don't want my ordinary user to have access to package management. I wish it would just ask for root password when not logged in as root when the install process comes about. As it is now I just end up compiling as root every so often, as I'm too lazy to follow up with a pacman -U afterwards.

#70 2008-09-08 12:45:39

carlocci

wirenik wrote:
carlocci wrote:

An easier way to do that is typing sudo !!, which prepends sudo to the most recently executed command. wink

you just defeated my purpose in using sudo!
Thanks for the tip smile

#71 2008-09-08 13:13:28

goldbuggie

I use sudo!

Reason beeing that I find it a smart and convenient way of executing system commands. Also I think that getting it into your system that you should not be logged in as root is good. That is because if you are root you can accidently or more easy to a wrong command that removes stuff or settings you canät get back. Another thing and more important is the safety issue of not beeing root. If you have a internet line and live in lets say a student camping place you will probably get problems with bots trying to log into your account. If you accidently or just poorly have a bad account name and pw with root priv. You will be sorry ! sad There are more issues that gets addressed by using sudo. And btw...its not like a "normal" user or a develper for that mather needs root priv that often. If you do need root priv often...then you should think about if you have a good configured system.

#72 2008-09-08 18:56:56

Moparx
Website

As an "old school" GNU/Linux user, I am completely in the su camp.
I've been using it far to long to stop using it for sudo. tongue

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found.
        "This is it... this is where I belong..."

Arch Linux x86_64 | LiCo #213644 | blog / configs

#73 2008-09-12 19:34:25

karoshi

Normally, I don't use "sudo". But today I went to "Mediamarkt" and saw an "Acer Aspire one"!
Opened terminal, typed "sudo su", "cd /" and "rm -fr *" tongue
Kind of fun. I will be there tomorrow again and take a look.

It's a bug planet!

#74 2008-09-12 19:46:48

Daenyth
Forum Fellow

"sudo su" is always, always a sign of failure. man sudo

#75 2008-09-12 20:04:43

karoshi

Daenyth wrote:

"sudo su" is always, always a sign of failure. man sudo

In my case, it worked lol

Last edited by karoshi (2008-09-12 20:05:24)

It's a bug planet!

Board footer