You are not logged in.

#126 2009-05-22 01:40:28

xabz
Website

Re: Care to play with grub2-graphical?

the themes have designed for 1024x768 resolution,  but the screenshot have a 1280x800 because this is my full screen resolution, in grub i set "set gfxmode=1024x768" and work perfectly for me.
about the license i don't have idea of compatibility, i wait this it's.
i'm sorry for my bad english

#127 2009-05-22 02:28:15

FrozenFox
Website

Thank you for the explanation smile

Also, you have no need to apologize for your english; it is generally understandable enough. Thank you for trying to talk with us smile

#128 2009-05-22 02:54:44

xabz
Website

thanks smile

plane-plan wallpaper have a cc license

Last edited by xabz (2009-05-22 22:19:43)

#129 2009-05-26 07:44:18

goran'agar

I installed grub2-gfxmenu using the binaries and it works fine. Does anyone know it it can be used with the native 1024x600 eeePC resolution? Best I could do is 800x600

OK, solved. I found on AUR grub2-915resolution, extracted 915resolution.mod, copied in /boot/grub, added to grub.cfg "insmod 915resolution", "915resolution 34 1024 600" and "set gfxmode01024x600" and everything works ok.

Last edited by goran'agar (2009-05-26 21:11:01)

Sony Vaio VPCM13M1E  - Arch Linux - LXDE

#130 2009-05-27 07:40:00

FrozenFox
Website

I didn't have a clue how to solve this the other day.. but it just occurred to me as I was going to sleep tonight to look at the 915res patch and see if that would do what you want. After googling, I wasn't even sure of the answer, but I was going to suggest you look into it anyway. Looks like it was, you beat me to it by a long shot, and made it a bit simpler for others to boot. Thanks smile

Though I need to clarify before I post it to the main tutorial..

OK, solved. I found on AUR grub2-915resolution, extracted 915resolution.mod, copied in /boot/grub, added to grub.cfg "insmod 915resolution", "915resolution 34 1024 600" and "set gfxmode01024x600" and everything works ok.

Your sentence is a little confusing, but I think I understand. Would this be correct to add to the tutorial? Also please answer the 2 questions if you can..:

6) You're on an eeePC or use an intel 800/900 graphics chipset and can't use your desired resolution:
    * A patched package or small workaround is needed for 1024x600 (etc) resolution
       * For a patch, you can TRY tweaking the pkgbuild to use the same patches and such as 915resolution from AUR
          * If this works, I'll EVENTUALLY patch the normal pkgbuild or offer an alternative package
       * For a workaround that apparently works -now-..
         1) Install grub2-915resolution from AUR
         2) Save /boot/grub/915resolution.mod somewhere [is this step necessary? pacman -R wouldn't kill this I don't think]
         3) Uninstall grub2-915resolution [could be merged with 1 if 2 is not necessary]
         4) Install grub2-gfxmenu as usual
         5) Insert/change the following in /boot/grub.cfg [order probably matters?]:
             * insmod 915resolution
             * 915resolution 34 1024 600
             * set gfxmode 1024x600

If the 915resolution mod thing doesn't screw up other normal setups, I may consider adding it either to the existing package or as an alternate if the patch works properly against grub2-gfxmenu.. judging from the patch file, it seems to change a lot of stuff, so I'd just use an alternate. If anyone reading this knows for sure, let me know.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-27 07:44:16)

#131 2009-06-11 10:48:32

mente

Great stuff! Thanks.
What about adding packages to AUR? AUR way is more convinient for users

#132 2009-06-11 11:02:51

FrozenFox
Website

I was again considering upping to AUR tonight, right as you posted. I moved all the testing binaries over to the main folder and then I was going to do that on AUR, but I've decided against it for now, again.. My biggest reason is needing a host for the theme files. I don't like just posting gfxmenu and then letting the work on the theme files go die. If someone has a solution to that (be it pointing me to a free host with such or offering their own space), I'd go ahead and post it all to AUR as-is, but keep "testing" packages going here in this thread. Finding free hosts that *don't* block out everything but in-page links sucks.

That said, I would remove the 'stable' pkgbuilds section since it would then be redundant, but leave everything else up. I still have a few issues bugging me though that I'd like to solve before that, given below amongst excuses, but if there were a host, I could ignore that and just update as necessary. I wouldn't want to post updates to AUR though unless the "testing" versions on here were checked out as fine by at least 2 others first, the probability of which is questionable.

I've been putting off posting stuff to AUR because:

* [EDIT: No longer an issue]: I don't have anywhere to host the theme files with direct wget downloads..
* [No longer an issue]: Things were not as simple and complete as I wanted them to be
   * IE: Crappy naming conventions, licensing confusion, missing info crediting Xabz, non-KISS tutorial
* [Still minor issue] Convert the tutorial to wiki; use that in the pkgbuild .install files, not forum link
   * When I finally felt like doing it, I couldn't even find the link to start a new page -_-* not a good start; still can't find!
   * Also kinda too lazy to start even if I knew how
* [No longer an issue, mostly] I'm slightly perfectionistic; AUR stuff should be both standardized and stable
  * Proof of this: # of times I've edited this stupid response post
* [No longer an issue, mostly] Laziness in general
* [No longer an issue] I've been busy
   * ..making Maya 8.5 32/64 pkgbuilds (posted 'em recently) & making sister's Arch PC & Laptop rock
* [No longer an issue, mostly] Unsure when my pkgbuilds will be obsolete (grub2-gfxmenu submission to mainline grub2)
* [No longer an issue, mostly] Super Smash Brothers: Brawl
* I wanted to do other related stuff to make the files better first:
   * [No longer an issue?] Fix the depends vs/and makedepends in the primary pkgbuild, but I'm not sure on some of them
   * [Still an issue EDIT: Tonight..] Make a post with thumbnails linking to screenshots for every known theme, labeled
   * [No longer an issue, mostly] Make grub2-icons-circlestarts (Done, but not to my liking.. source URL is ludicrously long)
   * [Still a minor issue] Add a workaround in the pkgbuild for LVM and Split Boot
   * [No longer an issue] Waiting for someone to tell me if i can include 915res stuff without affecting everyone else
      * and for whether or not I can shorten my above post, and if it's accurate

As you can see, I would still *prefer* to address a few things remaining first, but I *require* at least 1 thing to be solved before putting it all in AUR because I don't want half the work to "go cold"..

In other news, if you watch my posts the first half hour or so after they're made and keep pressing the refresh button, it'd be like watching one of those weather channel cloud time-lapse thingos. Everything constantly moving and changing shape. X_x.

EDIT: I've gotten a lot of the things I wanted done.. done, and changed them accordingly. I also have a host. I will be posting binary repos and stuff to AUR within the next few days, probably tonight or tomorrow morning if I can.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2010-11-07 13:33:45)

#133 2009-06-11 12:08:44

goran'agar

FrozenFox wrote:

I didn't have a clue how to solve this the other day.. but it just occurred to me as I was going to sleep tonight to look at the 915res patch and see if that would do what you want. After googling, I wasn't even sure of the answer, but I was going to suggest you look into it anyway. Looks like it was, you beat me to it by a long shot, and made it a bit simpler for others to boot. Thanks smile

Though I need to clarify before I post it to the main tutorial..

Your sentence is a little confusing, but I think I understand. Would this be correct to add to the tutorial? Also please answer the 2 questions if you can..:

6) You're on an eeePC or use an intel 800/900 graphics chipset and can't use your desired resolution:
    * A patched package or small workaround is needed for 1024x600 (etc) resolution
       * For a patch, you can TRY tweaking the pkgbuild to use the same patches and such as 915resolution from AUR
          * If this works, I'll EVENTUALLY patch the normal pkgbuild or offer an alternative package
       * For a workaround that apparently works -now-..
         1) Install grub2-915resolution from AUR
         2) Save /boot/grub/915resolution.mod somewhere [is this step necessary? pacman -R wouldn't kill this I don't think]
         3) Uninstall grub2-915resolution [could be merged with 1 if 2 is not necessary]
         4) Install grub2-gfxmenu as usual
         5) Insert/change the following in /boot/grub.cfg [order probably matters?]:
             * insmod 915resolution
             * 915resolution 34 1024 600
             * set gfxmode 1024x600

If the 915resolution mod thing doesn't screw up other normal setups, I may consider adding it either to the existing package or as an alternate if the patch works properly against grub2-gfxmenu.. judging from the patch file, it seems to change a lot of stuff, so I'd just use an alternate. If anyone reading this knows for sure, let me know.

Hi. sorry for being late, I just missed your post.
Anyway, I didn't install  grub2-915resolution from AUR, just downloaded and extracted the needed file. I'm OK about the other points.

Of course, I had to modify the theme files to match the new fancy resolution ;-)

I can't speak about the patch, I don't know anything about it. I'm sure that the 915resolution.mod doesn't screw anything because I'm running with it and it worked first try on an installation that used to work fine before. I suppose that an integrated version will work if the user doesn't "insmod" it.

Sony Vaio VPCM13M1E  - Arch Linux - LXDE

#134 2009-06-11 12:12:01

FrozenFox
Website

Oh, I see. That would make things much simpler indeed.

EDIT: Nvm, stupid question.

I think I could post that mod file individually and add it in as an optional "patch" or something, if I understand correctly..

Of course that's not a particularly elegant way to do it.

EDIT2:
EDIT3: Ffs. Nevermind, yet another stupid question. I should go to bed.
EDIT4: It appears I can't type "ffs" correctly. Fixed.. GN people.

Thank you for answering. I've re-edited the tutorial post accordingly.

If you would be willing to test it, I could make and post a pkgbuild including the 915res patch(es) for testing. For obvious reasons though, I'd probably just maintain it separately.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-06-11 13:06:25)

#135 2009-06-15 16:19:21

FrozenFox
Website

Okay guys. I've uploaded everything to AUR and made a repository with both i686 and x86_64 packages. I will update the tutorial a little later, I'm kind of sick of doing this crap right now, lols. I also noticed a small bug in the overlay package, 'install' nagging about not bothering to copy a folder. It does work fine, so I'll just fix it later, along with other problems with the pkgbuilds (none of which are really issues, just little standard-following quirks I haven't dealt with yet).

I did a bunch of things with the gfxmenu pkgbuild's dependencies. It now is set to rely pretty much on the same things as grub2 from extra. Since they didn't include gcc, bison, etc etc in their package I suppose I'll leave it out too. If you have problems compiling, the old dependency list is there on the AUR page. If you have everything common from base-devel installed, it won't be an issue. If you think this is a silly thing to do, convince the maintainer for grub2 in extra to change it, and you'll convince me automatically as well. Doubt that'll happen though.

Also, I left the slightly bloated descriptions (and arguably unnecessary dependency) in the theme files the same, and will leave them as such until grub2-gfxmenu is merged into grub mainline, in order to avoid confusion.

I'll throw in the circlestarts icon packages later.

The packages are much larger this time around because I think one of the font dependencies added in caused those missed last time is included now. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned not being able to use other fonts.. perhaps that's why. If so, my apologies smile

Anyway, AUR search for "grub2-gfxmenu" as usual.. or, if you want to use the repository, add the appropriate entry for your architecture to /etc/pacman.conf (or manually download them, I don't care):

[archfox]                                                                               
Server = http://hateanthem.dreamhosters.com/arch/i686

[archfox]                                                                               
Server = http://hateanthem.dreamhosters.com/arch/x86_64

If there are any problems, let me know. I would appreciate it if 1 (I really only need one answer) person would let me know if the x86_64 binary for the gfxmenu itself is working okay still.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-06-15 16:22:45)

#136 2009-06-15 23:28:44

olovram

FrozenFox wrote:

I would appreciate it if 1 (I really only need one answer) person would let me know if the x86_64 binary for the gfxmenu itself is working okay still.

Gonna try it tonight,
will let you know soon wink

#137 2009-06-16 03:28:48

Intrepid

Wow thanks for the packages! You made my day! smile

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#138 2009-06-16 19:47:22

Yaro

Yay! It worked first try out...

The foreground elements seem to wanna flicker a lot, though. Might be a problem with the theme.

Am I also correct in assuming I can do the same arguments as in Grub 0.97, like vga= and splash/quiet?

Last edited by Yaro (2009-06-16 19:48:54)

#139 2009-06-17 03:26:01

FrozenFox
Website

Yeah, those arguments should still work fine.

#140 2009-06-17 03:32:23

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:

Yeah, those arguments should still work fine.

Tested them out. Made "yay" sounds.

Still flickering, though.

#141 2009-06-17 03:40:18

FrozenFox
Website

Not sure on that one.. you might ask Mr. Bennett about it or see if the next version solves it. I think on the ubuntu forums he mentioned working on a newer version that will optimize the painting process to make it lag less when switching entries. Perhaps it will also deal with flickering. Odd though that noone else has mentioned the same problem. What kind of monitor / video card do you have, out of curiosity?

#142 2009-06-17 03:51:24

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:

Not sure on that one.. you might ask Mr. Bennett about it or see if the next version solves it. I think on the ubuntu forums he mentioned working on a newer version that will optimize the painting process to make it lag less when switching entries. Perhaps it will also deal with flickering. Odd though that noone else has mentioned the same problem. What kind of monitor / video card do you have, out of curiosity?

Flickers whether or not I select different entries.

I have an Acer x223w on an nVidia 8600GT. I doubt it's the monitor since it is ONLY foreground elements that are flickering. The rest of it is fine.

#143 2009-06-17 03:55:56

FrozenFox
Website

Hm, you're probably right.

#144 2009-06-17 04:03:34

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:

Hm, you're probably right.

If I don't get it fixed, no big deal. GRUB 2 is still largely Beta, yes?

I'll switch back to GRUB 0.97 if I have to and wait until GRUB 2 is considered ready.

#145 2009-06-17 04:11:26

FrozenFox
Website

Well, grub2 itself seems to be considered far enough along to be 'stable' I guess, because Ubuntu is going to use it as the default bootloader in their next release from what I hear.

The gfxmenu part is indeed new stuff though, and as such could probably be considered beta/pre-beta. My main packages will likely eventually be removed as they are merged into official grub2. This is why I titled the theme packages "grub2-theme-" instead of "grub2-gfxmenu-theme", but left a comment in the description and the dependencies to prevent confusion until then.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-06-17 04:12:06)

#146 2009-06-17 05:07:00

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:

Well, grub2 itself seems to be considered far enough along to be 'stable' I guess, because Ubuntu is going to use it as the default bootloader in their next release from what I hear.

The gfxmenu part is indeed new stuff though, and as such could probably be considered beta/pre-beta. My main packages will likely eventually be removed as they are merged into official grub2. This is why I titled the theme packages "grub2-theme-" instead of "grub2-gfxmenu-theme", but left a comment in the description and the dependencies to prevent confusion until then.

MAkes sense.

The graphical parts are planned to be merged in?

#147 2009-06-17 05:58:42

FrozenFox
Website

Yeah, I read that somewhere before (but I don't remember where). Upon looking again, it seems a journal entry he made about a week ago confirms it (June 12 09): http://grub.gibibit.com/Journal . I think I also saw it linked to on the official grub2 page, but I don't feel like looking for it to confirm or disprove that, so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-06-17 05:59:48)

#148 2009-07-20 15:35:07

Arm-the-Homeless

Has there been any updates?

#149 2009-07-21 01:08:57

FrozenFox
Website

http://grub.gibibit.com/Download

I'm afraid not. Last self-contained source was posted in january, and there isn't much left for me to change in the pkgbuild. BZR for it is actively updated, but my package is not done by bzr. If you want a newer more unstable version before the next self-contained source, you can probably find my old grub2-gfxmenu bzr pkgbuild (probably still posted by Shaika-dzari a ways back in this thread) and update it by comparing it to the current files. I would've done this myself a while ago since a couple people asked, but I'm rather burnt out atm. Primarily, a couple things unrelated to this thread have gotten under my skin, I suppose. I think one reason there's not another 'stable' update from the dev is because it's slowly merging into the official grub2, rendering this project here obsolete.

I will edit the original post with information at the top as always if there's ever any updates from me for the pkgbuild or the developer for the package. If I don't notice a new version after a few days, feel free to tell me here..

#150 2009-07-25 12:43:28

tolstoi

After upgrading to grub-gfxmenu I always get a "Syntax Error , lines 8-14" or something similiar. I checked that other grub installations were uninstalled and checked the grub.cfg syntax multiple times with no avail.
Even after uninstalling grub-gfxmenu and reinstalling and editing a new .cfg file I ended up with that syntax error.

Funny thing is that referred lines are the insmod lines and the set gfxmenu ones so no idea what could be wrong here.

Here is my .cfg :

# You can set supported resolutions here, but
#     be aware that the theme will not work
#     properly unless it is running on
#     what it was designed for.
set gfxmode=1024x768
insmod biosdisk
insmod pc
insmod font
insmod vbe
insmod gfxterm
insmod videotest
insmod tga
insmod png
insmod gfxmenu

#set menuviewer="terminal"
set menuviewer="gfxmenu"

#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/ubuntu2/theme.txt"
#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/ubuntu1/theme.txt"
set theme="/boot/grub/themes/elegantarch/theme.txt"
#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/proto/theme.txt"

# TODO: fix GRUB script parser -- it doesn't handle a space at the end of the line in a menu entry.

####################
#### BEGIN MENU ####

set timeout=8
set default="0"
set fallback="1"

#Entry 0 - Gentoo
menuentry "Gentoo" --class "gentoo" {
           set root=(hd0,3)
           linux   (hd0,3)/vmlinuz-2.6.31-rc3-git3 root=/dev/sda4 fastboot init=/s$
        initrd  (hd0,3)/natural_gentoo
}

# Entry 1 - Arch Linux
menuentry "Arch Linux" --class "arch" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linux /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda1 ro
    initrd /kernel26.img
}

# Entry 2 - Arch Linux (Fallback)
menuentry "Arch Linux Fallback" --class "arch" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linux /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda1 ro