You are not logged in.

#176 2009-11-20 07:30:53

iDIEDaLONGtimeAGO

Re: Care to play with grub2-graphical?

Yaro wrote:
iDIEDaLONGtimeAGO wrote:

Hey, i have an issue, but 1st i must thank for this beautiful piece of software.
I have grub2-graphical in my mbr and i installed debian lenny with grub2 on its root partition. I tried several combinations but im not being able to chainload into the debian grub. I know i can simply add the line from debian's grub.cfg into arch's grub.cfg, but is it possible to chainload ? My debian install is on sda9. I tried (hd0,9) , (hd0,8). They dont work. Get an error like "unrecognized string etc etc"

Are you sure that you have GRUB2 on your Debian installation?

Yep i do have grub2 installed and its in its root partition( because i have grub.cfg file in debian,, not menu.lst) , not in the mbr (because grub-grpahical is the first grub that i see on boot.

#177 2009-11-20 18:37:44

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:

Fyi those who've been waiting for the theme packages for Xabz' new stuff: I got all of it packaged and ready to post to AUR and the archfox repos. However, I'm waiting on a few emails about the licenses before I put them up (specifically, 2 new ones I'm going to add not listed here in this thread and blue-c4d). Sorry for the delays smile.

Any of them widescreen? I did modify the simplyblack theme to a higher widescreen res for myself.

#178 2009-11-25 02:06:50

jithin1987

I have one doubt. All the methods here involved editing grub.cfg directly. But I heard this file is automatically generated reading conf files from /etc/grub.d/*
Also we dont have a /etc/default/grub
source : http://maketecheasier.com/mastering-gru … 2009/11/19

I faced a few more issues.
In the grub.cfg all entries which referred to /boot was not working.
My /boot is on a separate ext2 partition on sda1. Where ever /boot was used I had to replace it with (hd0,1). with out it it was giving "You need to load kernel first error"
With elegantarch theme the menu entries are not displayed at all.

Otherwise its a great package smile

Last edited by jithin1987 (2009-11-25 02:08:33)

Thanks
Jithin

#179 2009-11-25 05:15:05

kevkim55

Guys, I'm on SurceMage and I can't get grub-install to run as, it complains about not being able to execute grub-probe. Mine is a 64 bit setup and I downloaded X86_64 packages from http://hateanthem.dreamhosters.com/arch/x86_64 but, apparently the binaries included themselves are 32 bit !! I don't have the 32 bit emulation libraries installed and don't want to install them just to get grub working !! roll

Is there a way I can get pure 64 bit binaries ? Has anyone been able to port the grub2-gfxmenu to 64 bit ?

I had been running gentoo all these years and just a couple of days ago I switched over to SMGL. I was able to run these binaries on 64 bit gentoo as gentoo by default installs 32 bit emulation libraries. Someone help me with my little problem, please ?! big_smile

#180 2009-11-25 06:56:08

FrozenFox
Website

jithin1987 wrote:

I have one doubt. All the methods here involved editing grub.cfg directly. But I heard this file is automatically generated reading conf files from /etc/grub.d/*
Also we dont have a /etc/default/grub
source : http://maketecheasier.com/mastering-gru … 2009/11/19

I faced a few more issues.
In the grub.cfg all entries which referred to /boot was not working.
My /boot is on a separate ext2 partition on sda1. Where ever /boot was used I had to replace it with (hd0,1). with out it it was giving "You need to load kernel first error"
With elegantarch theme the menu entries are not displayed at all.

Otherwise its a great package smile

As for grub.cfg, the official arch grub2 package as far as I can see does not work this way, it simply sets up a sane default. If I'm wrong on this, show me, as better (and sometimes automated) ways to do stuff are always nice. yikes

As for your two issues: I addressed issue #1 in one of the troubleshooting sections and mentioned having to do that or a similar workaround a couple times in the tutorial. I will take a look at #2 next time I boot into Arch and see if perhaps I packaged it incorrectly or made some kind of other mistake and edit this post accordingly, or otherwise see if Xabz has posted an updated version I didn't notice. Also, did you use a different resolution other than the default? I've heard that can cause such problems.

kevkim55 wrote:

Guys, I'm on SurceMage and I can't get grub-install to run as, it complains about not being able to execute grub-probe. Mine is a 64 bit setup and I downloaded X86_64 packages from http://hateanthem.dreamhosters.com/arch/x86_64 but, apparently the binaries included themselves are 32 bit !! I don't have the 32 bit emulation libraries installed and don't want to install them just to get grub working !! roll

Is there a way I can get pure 64 bit binaries ? Has anyone been able to port the grub2-gfxmenu to 64 bit ?

I had been running gentoo all these years and just a couple of days ago I switched over to SMGL. I was able to run these binaries on 64 bit gentoo as gentoo by default installs 32 bit emulation libraries. Someone help me with my little problem, please ?! big_smile

Please copy and paste the terminal output for us. As I've said many times in this thread and on the AUR page, the grub2-gfxmenu source (based on a now-outdated grub2 release) that I've posted last I checked does not compile on 64 bit, but grub2's official current version as I understand it will. Grub2-gfxmenu is being added (albeit a little slowly) to official grub2, which will render my packages and tutorial more or less obsolete (more for the former, less for the latter) eventually. As of this time, I'm not aware of any ports to 64 or success compiling under 64 other than emulating 32 bit. However, the binaries from that repository (my binary repository) should work fine on 64 bit. Many 64 bit users have reported success. You will need to tell us precisely what yours says wrong for us to be of any help. Granted, if installing 32 bit stuff bothers you, you're out of luck until it's moved into grub2 mainline, most likely. It's also unlikely anyone will 'port' it when that's going to be done officially eventually.

Yaro wrote:

Any of them widescreen? I did modify the simplyblack theme to a higher widescreen res for myself.

To others: regarding the themes, sorry. Been a bit busy (sort of) and haven't been in Arch for a while (on Windows 7 atm). I'm not sure if I've gotten a response on the licensing issues yet, because.. well, I can't remember my email password, which is saved on the linux side tongue.

Yaro: Sorry, I don't believe any of them are widescreen. If you like your widescreen tweak of that theme enough for AUR, I'd be happy to post it if you don't want to but don't mind sending it to me.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-11-25 09:26:41)

#181 2009-11-25 07:46:27

jithin1987

I tried the default resolution and a widescreen one( 1280x800) both are same. And elegantarch is is the only theme mis behaving.

Thanks
Jithin

#182 2009-12-01 21:28:38

FrozenFox
Website

Jithin1987: I just tested it and it works okay for me. Looking around at the pkgbuild and files, I don't see any problem either; they were built from the same skeleton as all the rest of the files. Sorry, I'm not sure what's wrong. If the icons for the entries show up but not text, whatever font it uses is probably not installed correctly on your setup or is commented out / not pointing to the right place for the fonts folder [ie requiring /boot and a set root=() to prefix it or not] in grub.cfg. If that's not the case, I really have no idea.

Everyone else: Sorry guys, I still haven't received an email back about those themes. I could post the ones the license is confirmed for (archchile and kubuntushine), but I want to do them all at once because I'm a fuckin' weirdo. If I still haven't received responses within 3 days I'll just go ahead and do that and post those without license permissions under proprietary on mediafire only. =/

Until I do, you can manually grab them and install them from here if you wish without the arch packaging and usual formal simplifying/formalizing that I do:

archblack: http://3ed.jogger.pl/2009/09/06/grub2-gfxmenu/ the "tutaj" link at the end of the main paragraph
archchile: xabz' post #168 in this thread on page 7
bluec4d: xabz' post #168 in this thread on page 7
kubuntushine: xabz' post #168 in this thread on page 7
ubuntukarmic: dinxter's post #92 on this page http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/showt … 36&page=10 (requires ubuntu forum acct)

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-12-01 21:44:34)

#183 2009-12-10 04:12:46

jithin1987

Hi there,
Could anyone please tell me what is difference between grub2 package in the repository and  grub2-gfxmenu.
Is gfxmenu available with grub2 or is it available only with the project described here http://grub.gibibit.com/ ?

I was just wondering if grub2 from grub2-gfxmenu and the one from repository offers the same features.

Edit: Just now saw here http://grub.gibibit.com/Journal that its not merged to grub2 experimental branch. Hopefully a newer grub2 release will have this feature inbuilt.

But still somewhere I read that since grub uses BIOS for graphics support it could never support wide screen resolutions . Only modes supported by BIOS will be available. So I was wondering for widescreen users will it add any value. Any thoughts on these?

Last edited by jithin1987 (2009-12-10 04:18:16)

Thanks
Jithin

#184 2009-12-29 22:19:11

Yaro

Could you make a provides for grub? I can't install kdemod without pacman wanting to remove this.

#185 2010-01-10 14:16:13

FrozenFox
Website

Yaro wrote:

Could you make a provides for grub? I can't install kdemod without pacman wanting to remove this.

My apologies for the extremely late response. I haven't been in Arch for some time (Window$ 7), and this morning I went ahead and broke it updating. I don't think using provides for grub is a good idea as the package *doesn't* provide grub, it replaces it (however it does provide grub2). The best course of action there in my opinion would be to pacman -Rd grub2-gfxmenu, install kdemod as needed, remove kdemod's grub tools, then reinstall gfxmenu. Or just --ignore the grub tool kdemod installs on the initial install line. Either one would do.

I'll be gone for a while, and am orphaning most packages I maintain for now, but I'll lurk the forums. Hope all goes well for you guys, and happy (belated) new year.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2010-11-07 13:25:40)

#186 2010-01-29 20:01:59

FrozenFox
Website

My (probably anyway tongue) last addendum to this topic for a while:

I finally got around to grabbing the files I mentioned previously off my broken partitions (hooray for livecds) and posting them. If you wish to use them, they are incomplete (missing author name/url comments, incorrect or non-existent download urls/md5sums, and wrong/insufficient licensing priveleges) but otherwise usable and working fine (I think) if you don't care about that stuff. As before, if anyone wishes to fix them and/or get proper permissions to post them to AUR with a given license, they're welcome to (if they have any more luck in getting responses than I did, anyway). Bai again.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6884 … 8114394287

Last edited by FrozenFox (2010-11-07 13:27:02)

Board footer