You are not logged in.

#176 2009-06-29 06:43:11

SpeedVin

Re: Midori rocks

ataraxia wrote:
skottish wrote:

No webkit browser is lighter on my workstation than Firefox (3.0.11 from the repos). It is always using about the same resources. Interestingly, from a non-scientific perspective, it's not even on average faster than Firefox; it usually balances out. On top of that, webkit has lots of problems and is far from being were gecko is. It can't even render DejaVu Sans or Bitstream Vera properly (note: they blame Cairo. Maybe they should copy Firefox instead).

What am I trying to say? This sucks! I want uzbl to be able to fully replace Firefox for me. It's fun and has a crazy name.

I agree. Webkit is very slow for me, with huge pauses of several seconds for no reason that I can determine. uzbl suffers from it even more than midori. Midori uses the same amount of memory as Firefox for me (uzbl is quite a bit smaller).

Are you using proxy?

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#177 2009-06-29 18:07:14

ataraxia

SpeedVin wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
skottish wrote:

No webkit browser is lighter on my workstation than Firefox (3.0.11 from the repos). It is always using about the same resources. Interestingly, from a non-scientific perspective, it's not even on average faster than Firefox; it usually balances out. On top of that, webkit has lots of problems and is far from being were gecko is. It can't even render DejaVu Sans or Bitstream Vera properly (note: they blame Cairo. Maybe they should copy Firefox instead).

What am I trying to say? This sucks! I want uzbl to be able to fully replace Firefox for me. It's fun and has a crazy name.

I agree. Webkit is very slow for me, with huge pauses of several seconds for no reason that I can determine. uzbl suffers from it even more than midori. Midori uses the same amount of memory as Firefox for me (uzbl is quite a bit smaller).

Are you using proxy?

No.

#178 2009-06-29 20:08:08

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

ataraxia wrote:
skottish wrote:

I don't know how you run uzbl, but likely uzbl's slowness is caused by invoking the cookie handler script a lot of times. (we're working on resolving that).  If you want to see only the slowdowns caused by webkit, run uzbl --verbose and disable the scripts that you'll see getting spawned (cookie handler, history handler etc)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#179 2009-06-29 21:45:45

ataraxia

Dieter@be wrote:
ataraxia wrote:
skottish wrote:

I don't know how you run uzbl, but likely uzbl's slowness is caused by invoking the cookie handler script a lot of times. (we're working on resolving that).  If you want to see only the slowdowns caused by webkit, run uzbl --verbose and disable the scripts that you'll see getting spawned (cookie handler, history handler etc)

It still has lags even if I start it without any config at all. So does midori. I wonder if there's something about webkit's optimizations that aren't very nice on an Atom CPU with its in-order architecture.

#180 2009-06-30 13:26:57

makimaki

@ataraxia

That's very strange, Midori and Vimpression are both very snappy on my atom cpu (NC10), I tried uzbl once too, and it also loaded pages much faster than firefox for me.

====* -- Joke
    O
    \|/ --- Me
    / \             Whooooosh

#181 2009-07-11 02:00:48

carick

hey i am trying to use midori and i get the error:
"An instance of midori is already running but not responding."
in a pop up and
"libnotify-message: unabel to get session bus: failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session"
at the terminal.

Any ideas?

#182 2009-07-11 03:14:58

carick

i guess dbus wasnt installed even though i was using hal??

#183 2009-07-12 03:00:51

pelbrun

I can't wait to replace firefox with midori but for the moment I'll keep FF installed. Too bad midori is crashing all the time .... because of bugs in webkitgtk.

BTW has anyone tried to build the last version of webkitgtk-svn from AUR??  It fails here.

#184 2009-07-12 03:21:37

droog

pelbrun wrote:

I can't wait to replace firefox with midori but for the moment I'll keep FF installed. Too bad midori is crashing all the time .... because of bugs in webkitgtk.

BTW has anyone tried to build the last version of webkitgtk-svn from AUR??  It fails here.

I use firefox/vimperator and elinks and no contest, even the minimal surf and uzbl crash all the time and use more resources than firefox+vimperator. I would use them if they were more sensible, but building a tiny browser on webkit is really funny.

#185 2009-07-12 03:22:38

oib111

Eh it has problem displaying some sites for me that were "vital" to my everyday interwebz activities.

#186 2009-07-12 17:54:59

pelbrun

droog wrote:
pelbrun wrote:

I use firefox/vimperator and elinks and no contest, even the minimal surf and uzbl crash all the time and use more resources than firefox+vimperator. I would use them if they were more sensible, but building a tiny browser on webkit is really funny.

Just installed the plugin. Looks nice and works well. It's sure gives you more screen real estate!

:tabopen
:open www.google.ca

#187 2009-07-12 17:57:47

pelbrun

oib111 wrote:

Eh it has problem displaying some sites for me that were "vital" to my everyday interwebz activities.

Did you use the one from AUR or the one from the repos? I had problems with the one in the repos.

#188 2009-08-03 03:04:50

froseph

@carick you need 'dbus'. hal depends on 'dbus-core'.

#189 2009-08-11 04:04:48

JMO

Any idea on how to import bookmarks to Midori? I can't even find the folder where it stores the ones it already has.

#190 2009-08-11 14:15:57

putte_xvi

JMO wrote:

Any idea on how to import bookmarks to Midori? I can't even find the folder where it stores the ones it already has.

It stores them as XBEL in ~/.config/midori/bookmarks.xbel.

#191 2009-08-11 14:42:35

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

JMO wrote:

Mighty Google teaches the following: install the SyncPlaces add-on in Firefox (if you use Firefox), export as XBEL (will save as an XML file), backup your present bookmarks.xbel fiile in your midori configuration directory, rename the XML file to bookmarks.xbel, launch Midori, and enjoy your bookmarks.

Keep in mind with 0.1.9 and below there seems no merger possible (so you'll have to migrate existing bookmarks by editing the XBEL file manually) and there is no possibility to create a second sublevel of folders nor save in them (ie bookmarks -> Linux -> Arch Linux is a no-go). It will work if you add/move those folders and bookmarks manually, though.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#192 2009-08-11 16:31:57

JMO

Thanks so much.

#193 2009-08-11 23:37:12

Anikom15
Banned
Website

The best browser I've used is SeaMonkey. Not only is it a full packaged web suite, it feels much slimmer than FF.

Personally, I'd rather be back in Hobbiton.

#194 2009-08-12 06:58:46

jelly
Administrator

droog wrote:
pelbrun wrote:

If uzbl chrased a lot , report it so the developpers now there is a problem and they can fix it .

Ontopic:

I dont know how cool midori is with vimperator like things . Currently i am a uzbl users because scripts are sooo easy to implement and you can do nice stuff with it. I switched the cookiehandler to the daemon and it's faster now. So any thoughts on a vimperator plugin for midori on FF it worked great smile

#195 2009-08-12 13:28:57

TigTex

Anyone benchmarked this browser and compared them here? _http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

I only have midori now, I can't compare it to other browsers on my computer tongue

.::. TigTex @ Portugal .::.

#196 2009-08-12 16:30:28

andre.ramaciotti

I measured only Firefox 3.5.2 and Midori 0.1.9. I'm running Arch x64 and it's up to date.
Midori scored 2370 and Firefox scored 901

(lambda ())

#197 2009-08-13 05:15:42

skottish
Forum Fellow

andre.ramaciotti wrote:

I measured only Firefox 3.5.2 and Midori 0.1.9. I'm running Arch x64 and it's up to date.

Yeah, but in the world of actual browsing and not statistics, FF is much faster than the Webkit browsers that use libsoup when HTTP pipelining is enabled. Far faster. Midori and uzbl are painful on my netbook, but FF works great. When libsoup gets HTTP pipelining, or another HTTP back end comes along (that's not libcurl), I'm sure that situation will be different.

#198 2009-08-13 08:09:52

jelly
Administrator

skottish wrote:
andre.ramaciotti wrote:

Yeah, but in the world of actual browsing and not statistics, FF is much faster than the Webkit browsers that use libsoup when HTTP pipelining is enabled. Far faster. Midori and uzbl are painful on my netbook, but FF works great. When libsoup gets HTTP pipelining, or another HTTP back end comes along (that's not libcurl), I'm sure that situation will be different.

Aha , thanks for the info. I also don't really bother statistics. I use a browser because i feel happy with it , it does what i want and the development is healthy etc. etc. . The custom scripts of Uzbl part is great but cookie handlers etc are all fairly new. ( just the non-benefit of being bleeding ).

#199 2009-08-13 19:09:17

Army

skottish wrote:

FF is much faster than the Webkit browsers that use libsoup when HTTP pipelining is enabled

I have to agree here, I test midori from time to time and browsing with firefox is really faster. The only webkit browser comparable with firefox is chromium, because it supports pipelining as well. This is really the fastest browser for me, but it's far from being finished. Still, I keep testing these webkit browsers, but until they are not only smaller on memory, I guess I'll have to stay with firefox.

#200 2009-08-14 04:24:10

skottish
Forum Fellow

Since this thread is all over the place anyway...

uzbl is currently my favorite browser for my netbook. It simply feels good to operate. But, I use FF with vimperator on that machine because waiting for web pages to load on a 10Mbps (stable) connection just doesn't seem right to me.

Board footer