You are not logged in.

#26 2009-01-26 09:17:35

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: LXDE going mainstream

lxde has important 3 bugs on my Acer AspireOne that make go back to Xfce most times:

1) broken battery plugin. reports badly "empty" and calculates wrong values.
2) poor pager/desktop switcher. all desks are shown in only one line. apps on the non-active desks aren't shown.
3) after maximise and resize down an application it doesn't get the size back I had set before. at least I see this for midori.

I keep watching it. It's promising.

#27 2009-01-28 14:09:12

sokuban

I have been an xfce user up until now, but I'm thinking about trying out lxde one day. It could be the thing I need for a transition to a standalone window manager.

I don't use a panel, nor desktop icons, nor a menu, nor close/maximize/minimize buttons. Yea I know, I should be using a wm, but I'm too lazy to configure them. They all look so ugly too, I like my xfce themes.

I hope that lxde is lighter than xfce though, anybody else made any tests?

#28 2009-01-28 15:38:22

Ranguvar

It is lighter. It's basically pre-configured Openbox with addons. Xfce's window manager is much heavier, though still relatively light.

Google has benchmarks, of a sort.
http://dreamlinuxforums.org/index.php?topic=2004.0
http://www.urbanpuddle.com/articles/200 … hello-lxde
http://xrunhprof.wordpress.com/2008/12/ … footprint/

Last edited by Ranguvar (2009-01-28 15:41:50)

#29 2009-01-28 19:17:51

sokuban

LXDE is sure getting popular. A new version of Knoppix came out today (or yesterday, I'm not good with timezones) and LXDE is the default DE now.

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix60-en.html

I'm downloading it to try it out now. (I don't have my Arch box with me at the moment, and slackware doesn't have LXDE.)

#30 2009-01-29 09:58:55

B-Con
Website

Before I found LXDE, like many others I basically compiled it by myself. I still don't use it officially, though, since I don't feel the need for a session manager and I have a similar suit of applications that I prefer over theirs. My big differences are that I prefer the Mirage image viewer, Gtk-chtheme, and mrxvt.

#31 2009-01-30 13:05:07

Army

So, I wanted to give LXDE a real new chance, so I uninstalled XFCE completely and threw LXDE onto my hard drive. Some posts ago I wrote, that LXDE and XFCE use an equal amount of RAM, which was very true at this time. But now all of a sudden LXDE uses 10MB less and of course it's faster than XFCE, so I think it'll stay my desktop for the next few ... weeks wink No, honestly, right now I really like it, the look, the feeling, the speed, everything is great for me at the moment. I'm not sure about improvements happended in the past few months, but it's stable as before. Great job!

#32 2009-01-30 14:06:38

Duologic

I started with Gnome and went to Xfce because it was lighter but working kinda the same, but I see them still forcing people to do something the way the developers want it. The great thing about LXDE is that it wont get in your way, you can use a lot of LXDE programs and still not noticing you are using them. Like I use LXAppearance and PCManFM in Openbox some time before I knew it supposed to be bundle together in a DE. I can still use my own xrandr client, because I don't like the LXrandr, Gnome or Xfce wont be happy with something like that.

Last edited by Duologic (2009-01-30 14:07:31)

#33 2009-01-30 15:48:38

ninian
Website

It's the way you can pick and mix the (relatively) independent components of LXDE which really appeals to me, rather than committing to the whole thing as a DE.

If you prefer some particular external component (say pypanel rather than lxpanel), it's trivial to swap compared to some of the entrails which their KDE and GNOME equivalents leave behind.

Long live modularity and portability!
big_smile

#34 2009-01-30 16:21:57

evol
Website

I've used lxpanel since I moved to openbox about a year ago - recently tried out some other nice tools like lxappearance and yes, like others have said, it's the modularity that sets lxde apart. It's great.

I need to do a little bit of testing on lxpanel though, the most recent update has caused some segmentation faults, I've only noticed these when doing some relatively intensive editing with GIMP, I'll file a bug report if I can reproduce it properly.

Last edited by evol (2009-01-30 16:22:22)

-//------------------/------>

Board footer