You are not logged in.

#51 2009-05-19 22:09:37

leo2501

Re: Quest for *THE* feed reader

xd-0 wrote:

I can't seem to get snownews to remember what I've marked as read. Each time I start snownews and update the feeds  (R) all  the news show up as unread.
Since there are many snownews user in here, perhaps someone knows whats the problem?

in my case it work that way but with not all feeds, so i dont know what makes it behave like that

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#52 2010-12-19 17:47:35

dankles

andre.ramaciotti wrote:
livibetter wrote:

I use and have to stay with Google Reader because I have nearly 200 subscriptions. Any desktop reader would need to spend lots of time for updating. I like Google Reader, but I prefer a CLI reader. So, I am hoping Google can officially release the API (there is an unofficial one) and someone will write a CLI reader based on the API.

Besides, one of my feeds can reach up to 300 new items/day. So I'd need to keep my reader on 24/7 if I wanted to receive all of them. A good API would be nice, as I could store feeds if I need to read them offline and it would be simpler to filter them, I guess. This same news site have news about politics, soap-operas, sports, and I don't want to read about them all.

I also have about 200 feed subscriptions. And so far I'm stuck on google reader because everything else just hasn't worked well enough. I've tried:

Thunderbird's RSS - Failed at fetching feeds sometimes. I knew that there was updates to an rss feed i was subscribed to, yet Thunderbird wouldnt see it even if i forced a feed update

canto - ate 100% of my cpu when updating my 200 feeds

liferea - ok, but not exactly to my liking. I remember I wanted to launch it in a docked state, so i added some command line argument to do that, but even when i'd run it this way, the window would flash for half a millisecond as if it was going to open normally, then would minimize to the dock... Call me picky, but i just got turned off.. also i didnt dig the sqlite backend. I heard of people having to prune the sqlite db to restore performance in liferea... thats just ghetto

rssowl - tried it and it was featureful and nice... except that it runs on the jvm... would be fine if i had something like eclipse open all the time i guess...

Claws mail rssyl - no way that i could find to see all unread messages at once without typing in a search to get all unread messages.... and there is no way i'm going to click each of my 200 folders individually to read news.

Emacs newsticker - was completely borked when i added the 200 feeds from my imported opml file... i had to "pkill emacs" to get it to close....

Anyone know of anything that works well with 200+ rss feeds that isnt online? I want to be in control of my own data....

Sorry to resurrect an old post

#53 2010-12-20 07:51:47

arctos

#54 2010-12-20 08:19:45

Skyalmian

I have been using the RSS feed section in [Mozilla] SeaMonkey's "Mail & Newsgroups" component since it came out. It only presently (with the latest nightly developer builds) has issues with deletion and re-addition of feeds.

#55 2010-12-20 17:50:02

silenc3r

arctos wrote:

Better don't...

It's buggy as hell. App closes down every 5 mouse clicks or so... Most buttons are inactive all the time. If you want to update your feeds, delete/edit folder or subscription you got to use keyboard shortcuts. The tricky part is that using them will most likely close the app... without returning any errors ofc.
Did I mention that it always opens links in new browser _window_?

#56 2010-12-20 18:38:41

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

newsbeuter synched to Google Reader. I only have ~120 feeds, but it handles those effortlessly...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#57 2010-12-21 15:13:39

Urfaust

I know many of you have a vserver or similar. Did someone ever tried tt-rss (http://tt-rss.org/redmine/)? I tried it on a friends webspace but it did not work very well (managed space, no root access) but the demo on their site looks very nice. So this is one reason for might getting myself a root/vserver... smile

#58 2010-12-22 08:28:47

maxexcloo

I use Google Reader ATM but wish to move to my own system as I am migrating away from Google...
TT-RSS looks nice but last time I tried the feed updater daemon was terrible...

#59 2010-12-22 09:19:04

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Voracious might interest some users in this thread.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#60 2010-12-22 18:24:35

Digit

i'm really fussy (it seems) when it comes to rss feed reader.

i was at my happiest back in my kde3 days, with akregator.   see, i want a horozontal ticker, independent of browser.    ...y'know, more UNIX-philosophy aproach.

i tried yarssr for a while, but it's just not the same without the horizontal scrolling news-style ticker. 
i tried a few browser addon ones too... but that seemed a bit incumbersome and impractical, since i sometimes want to switch it off, and sometimes want to use different browsers.
i recall even tying a xmobar or dzen ticker ages ago, but couldnt click on the links so i didnt see the point.

at this rate, i expect i'll have slowly gotten around to learning how to code my own lightweight freedesktop-compatible ticker before finding one that suits my needs.    ... and that's not really a complaint.  wink

... still to check out all the ones mentioned here.

fave quote of the mo': "Man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for." - Robert Browning

#61 2010-12-22 19:21:34

Rasi
Website

Digit wrote:

i recall even tying a xmobar or dzen ticker ages ago, but couldnt click on the links so i didnt see the point.

of course you do know, that dzen2 can associate events to clicks smile

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#62 2010-12-31 15:43:50

toad
Website

As a KDE animal I've been happily using akregator - especially as it is capable of displaying the entire article but now I am looking for more.

akregator allows one to mark certain items as "important" but does not give one a chance to create other categories. Is there such an RSS-reader? I did not notice any mentioned in this thread which were capable of doing this...

EDIT:

Found one, RSSOwl is quite simply superb (but not a qt app and therefore integration is not ideal).

Second edit:

For all frustrated akregator users, vote for this: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=139540

Last edited by toad (2011-01-01 22:09:33)

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#63 2011-01-01 21:13:09

Usul

For some years now I'm using TT-RSS, and I can recommend it. It's running on my multi purpose server at home (Debian Lenny), with 114 feeds in the moment. It's nice to have a web based client without depending on third parties like Google or Bloglines. The web interface has many keyboard shortcuts, and if you want, you can poke around in the database (to count the subscribed feeds I had only to run a select count(*) ...).

#64 2011-01-01 22:27:45

dolby

toad wrote:

For all frustrated akregator users, vote for this: http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=139540

Akregator is unmaintained for a while now...

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#65 2011-01-01 22:33:07

toad
Website

dolby wrote:
toad wrote:

Akregator is unmaintained for a while now...

Ah, it is all beginning to make sense. About to have a go at tt-rss just for fun.

never trust a toad...

#66 2011-01-02 08:01:26

tuhyk
Website

I used Opera builtin feed reader but after switch to Firefox as a KDE person I discovered Akregator. Although quite satisfied for some time I recently decided to try Brief as recommended in this thread. So far, so good.

All I really need to know I learned from watching Star Trek

#67 2011-01-04 04:01:21

maxexcloo

I finally made TT-RSS work properly, I don't use the PHP daemon, I use cronjobs now smile

#68 2011-01-04 08:36:06

toad
Website

I've migrated to thunderbird as I experienced an annoying bug with RSSOwl.

never trust a toad...

#69 2011-01-04 09:12:43

bunburya

I prefer desktop-based to web-based RSS feeds, and although I have heard some great things about RSS feeds that integrate with Firefox or Thunderbird, I have always preferred standalone RSS feed apps (much like the whole Unixy "do one thing and do it well" thing).

I'm currently in between apps. I have Liferea downloaded and am going to set it up soon. But to be honest the last time I used it I found it to be quite slow, for example when you tried to mark a lot of feeds as read. It also drives me MAD that clicking, dragging and releasing a selection of text tries to create a new subscription, is there any way to turn that "feature" off?

I used to use RSSOwl and I loved it, it was very fast and had plenty of features. But it had a very weird bug in that when I set it to open by default on a tag/workspace that I wasn't using at the time, it would suck up ~100% of one CPU until I switched to its tag to look at it. I couldn't find a fix so I had to get rid of it!

#70 2011-01-05 12:35:53

Cloudef

There's really not any good standalone RSS reader that would meet my requirements. Liferea's filtering system is dumb, it's bit slow and has annoying bugs (Like random window focus/appear, eg change resolution).

RSSOwl was actually really good, and I liked it.. But sadly Java turns me off.

Maybe I should try terminal based rss readers next

#71 2011-03-12 12:53:42

Digit

i've had "news" installed on my laptop for a while (made a scruffy thread about it somewhere), once i (stop procrastinating &) get it playing with gaps/docks, it seems like a real winner.

alas, upon trying to install it on the workstation here, it doesnt want to install anymore...

==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    news-0.4.4-linux-bin.tar.gz ... FAILED
==> ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!
The build failed.

anyways, even though it's needing a little maintenance, i thought i aught to mention "news" here, incase it's just what others are looking for too.

fave quote of the mo': "Man's reach should exceed his grasp, else what's a heaven for." - Robert Browning

#72 2011-03-14 13:07:21

ehlo

I used to use Thunderbird but then I missed quite a bit.

Now I use Feed on Feeds on my site. Only problem is that the interface seems to interact badly with mobile devices. I'm considering modifying it myself or perhaps changing to TT-RSS.

#73 2011-03-14 14:13:02

toad
Website

ehlo wrote:

I used to use Thunderbird but then I missed quite a bit.

? Interesting. What did you miss out on?

never trust a toad...

#74 2011-05-06 21:20:49

dolby

Does anyone use rsstail for feeds?
It looks really neat, furthermore since i already use multitail, but im interested to know if it works with the Arch bugtracker's feeds, without building 3 packages just to figure out myself. smile

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#75 2011-05-15 10:11:33

d00maz

i'm looking for a GUI based rss reader like rssowl BUT... not java based.

Board footer