You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-29 17:31:12

devildante

[SOLVED] Archiso doesn't work when booting

(Note for moderators: I don't know where to put this post, so I just put it here. Move it if it isn't in the right section.)

Hello smile

Here's my problem: I want to make a Arch live-cd with custom packages, custom hooks, ... So I searched for a way to do it. Larch works, but it's not modular. Then, I found Archiso, the official tool for Arch developers: very modular, and fits exactly to my needs.
The only problem is that when I want to boot it (with VirtualBox), a kernel panic occurs sad The error is:

/bin/run-init: opening console: No such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

According to the archiso hook, it appears that when passing control to Arch Linux Initscripts, it tries to open /dev/console, and fails.
What's the problem, and how can I fix it?

devildante

Last edited by devildante (2009-03-30 19:12:02)

#2 2009-03-29 21:18:41

godane
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Archiso doesn't work when booting

I think your looking for my build scripts version of archiso. wink Its modular like slax and works just fine.

You can test out my livecd here. Its best to try livecd first to see if its what you want.

I'm working on a live cds based on Archlinux. http://godane.wordpress.com/

#3 2009-03-30 07:46:49

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

godane wrote:

I think your looking for my build scripts version of archiso. wink

What makes you think that?

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#4 2009-03-30 11:36:31

godane
Website

Modular to me is not have to make up a list for all the modules. That should be done on the fly at boot.

I'm working on a live cds based on Archlinux. http://godane.wordpress.com/

#5 2009-03-30 19:10:41

devildante

What I meant by modular is that I can modify the code easily.
Anyway, archiso works now! For some reason, the "install-iso" config works, but the "default" doesn't.

@godane: I've tried to use your scripts, but it looks like it's for i686 only (I'm on x86_64).

devildante

#6 2009-05-29 05:25:33

area

Could you elaborate a bit on your solution.... I'm having the same problem

#7 2009-05-30 15:06:12

el_cammello
Website

same problem, I've try also install-iso config but in my case it doesn't work

Sorry for my bad english :-)

#8 2009-05-30 15:18:56

Svenstaro
Administrator

Try this guide: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archiso and this package: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25996 and let me hear if there is any trouble still.

#9 2009-05-30 15:48:13

el_cammello
Website

Svenstaro wrote:

Try this guide: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archiso and this package: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=25996 and let me hear if there is any trouble still.

OK thanks for the quick answer, I'll try it

#10 2009-05-30 18:15:23

el_cammello
Website

I've this problem:

# install docs and examples
install -D -m 644 ../configs /tmp/archiso-git/pkg/usr/share/archiso
install: directory `../configs' omessa
make: *** [install] Error 1
==> ERRORE: Compilazione interrotta.
    L'operazione sta per essere interrotta...
[archiso-git]

it seem a problem of Makefile (archiso-git/src/archiso-build/archiso/Makefile)

#11 2009-05-30 18:27:49

Svenstaro
Administrator

Try the new updated package build.

#12 2009-05-31 05:35:41

el_cammello
Website

Svenstaro wrote:

Ok now my live works smile Thx!!
anyway I've comment that line of configs in the Makefile, and recheck path of patch file:

patch ${srcdir}/archiso-build/archiso/Makefile < ../../../patch.Makefile || return 1
  patch ${srcdir}/archiso-build/archiso/mkarchiso < ../../../patch.mkarchiso || return 1
  patch ${srcdir}/archiso-build/archiso/hooks/archiso < ../../../patch.archiso || return 1

#13 2009-05-31 05:41:30

Svenstaro
Administrator

el_cammello wrote:
Svenstaro wrote:

Ok now my live works smile Thx!!
anyway I've comment that line of configs in the Makefile, and recheck path of patch file:

patch ${srcdir}/archiso-build/archiso/Makefile < ../../../patch.Makefile || return 1
  patch ${srcdir}/archiso-build/archiso/mkarchiso < ../../../patch.mkarchiso || return 1
  patch ${srcdir}/archiso-build/archiso/hooks/archiso < ../../../patch.archiso || return 1

Come again? Did you mean to say that my package is broken again or that you fixed the old package yourself already?

#14 2009-05-31 06:26:23

el_cammello
Website

No is your new package smile

#15 2009-05-31 08:22:05

area

I had the same problem and after about 30 minutes trying to fix the makefile I gave up and commented out the last 2 lines in the install section. I believe this is what el_cammello did.

your thoughts....?

#16 2009-05-31 17:10:45

Svenstaro
Administrator

Uh works now, sorry guys. I wrongly uploaded a broken, old PKGBUILD that couldn't have worked correctly. Try again, please.

#17 2009-06-05 00:11:11

Removed00

Hi Svenstaro, i use your last version of archiso, but i've the same problem of devildante.

/bin/run-init: opening console: No such file or directory
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I've followed this guide (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archiso) and packages has been compiled in x86_64

15mxor8.jpg

Can you please help me?

#18 2009-06-05 21:55:42

Svenstaro
Administrator

Please try the newest version of the AUR package. It seems your hooks/archiso didn't get patched correctly.

#19 2009-06-08 13:00:54

arch0r

hmm ... still got the same error as seen above even with the updated git package from the aur sad

#20 2009-06-08 23:45:19

banshee28

I am also seeing this same thing when using the archiso-live build 6-5-2009. I am also having issues booting so not sure if its the exact same issue or not.

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#21 2009-06-09 12:09:51

Svenstaro
Administrator

Upstream Git repo has finally been fixed and the patches of my package shouldn't be required any more. Please do the following:

1. Build my new package
2. Put "aufs2-util" into your packages.list (important!)
3. Make your ISO

#22 2009-06-09 13:00:50

arch0r

nope sry. still the same error

#23 2009-06-09 13:03:59

Svenstaro
Administrator

You can not possibly getting the same error as in the picture above because that line was changed. There must be a local version problem but you CAN NOT be getting the error from above if you updated correctly. Paste the error here in case your error is different.

Last edited by Svenstaro (2009-06-09 13:04:24)

#24 2009-06-09 19:34:31

arch0r

after building the iso and the archiso-git package from the aur several times, i still get the same error:

kernelpanic.gif

build log:

make all                                                                                 
mkarchiso -p "`cat packages.list` grub-gfx" create "work"                                                             
mkarchiso : Configuration Settings                                                                                    
        working directory:   work                                                                                     
               image name:   none                                                                                     
====> Creating working directory: work                                                                                
====> Installing packages to 'work/root-image/'                                                                       
/tmp/alpm_cgZcCL/.INSTALL: line 4: grep: command not found                                                            
Cleaning up what we can                                                                                               
mv "work/root-image/boot" "work/iso/"                                                                                 
cp -r boot-files/* "work/iso/boot/"                                                                                   
cp isomounts "work"                                                                                                   
sed -i "s|@ARCH@|`uname -m`|g" "work/isomounts"                                                                       
mkinitcpio -c mkinitcpio.conf -b "work/root-image" -k 2.6.29-ARCH -g "work/iso/boot/archbox".img                      
:: Begin build                                                                                                        
:: Parsing hook [base]                                                                                                
:: Parsing hook [archiso-early]                                                                                       
:: Parsing hook [udev]                                                                                                
:: Parsing hook [archiso]                                                                                             
:: Parsing hook [pata]                                                                                                
:: Parsing hook [scsi]                                                                                                
:: Parsing hook [sata]                                                                                                
:: Parsing hook [usb]                                                                                                 
:: Parsing hook [fw]                                                                                                  
:: Parsing hook [filesystems]                                                                                         
:: Parsing hook [usbinput]                                                                                            
:: Generating module dependencies                                                                                     
:: Generating image 'work/iso/boot/archbox.img'...SUCCESS                                                             
cp -r overlay "work/"                                                                                                 
cp -r "work/root-image/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/"* "work/iso/boot/grub"                                                   
mkarchiso -f -p grub-gfx iso "work" "`pwd`/archbox-1.00-`uname -m`".iso                                               
               image name:   /home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.iso                                               
====> Generating SquashFS image for 'work/root-image'                                                                 
Creating SquashFS image. This may take some time...                                                                   
Image creation done in 10.57 minutes.                                                                                 
====> Generating SquashFS image for 'work/overlay'                                                                    
Image creation done in 0.00 minutes.                                                                                  
====> Making bootable image                                                                                           
Creating ISO image...                                                                                                 
mkarchiso -f -p grub-gfx usb "work" "`pwd`/archbox-1.00-`uname -m`".img                                               
               image name:   /home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.img                                               
====> Generating SquashFS image for 'work/root-image'                                                                 
Removing old SquashFS image...done.                                                                                   
Image creation done in 9.20 minutes.                                                                                  
====> Generating SquashFS image for 'work/overlay'                                                                    
Removing old SquashFS image...done.                                                                                   
Image creation done in 0.00 minutes.                                                                                  
====> Making bootable image                                                                                           
1096899+0 Datensätze ein                                                                                              
1096899+0 Datensätze aus                                                                                              
561612288 Bytes (562 MB) kopiert, 10,7464 s, 52,3 MB/s                                                                
mke2fs 1.41.6 (30-May-2009)                                                                                           
Dateisystem-Label=                                                                                                    
OS-Typ: Linux                                                                                                         
Blockgröße=4096 (log=2)                                                                                               
Fragmentgröße=4096 (log=2)                                                                                            
34320 Inodes, 137112 Blöcke                                                                                           
0 Blöcke (0.00%) reserviert für den Superuser                                                                         
Erster Datenblock=0                                                                                                   
Maximale Dateisystem-Blöcke=142606336                                                                                 
5 Blockgruppen                                                                                                        
32768 Blöcke pro Gruppe, 32768 Fragmente pro Gruppe                                                                   
6864 Inodes pro Gruppe                                                                                                
Superblock-Sicherungskopien gespeichert in den Blöcken:                                                               
        32768, 98304                                                                                                  

Schreibe Inode-Tabellen: erledigt                                                                                     
Schreibe Superblöcke und Dateisystem-Accountinginformationen: erledigt                                                

Das Dateisystem wird automatisch nach jeweils 32 Einhäng-Vorgängen bzw.                                               
alle 180 Tage überprüft, je nachdem, was zuerst eintritt. Veränderbar mit                                             
tune2fs -c oder -t .                                                                                                  
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/sound, it will be ignored in a future release.                  
WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/framebuffer_blacklist.pacsave, it will be ignored in a future release.                                                                                                                
63+0 Datensätze ein                                                                                                   
63+0 Datensätze aus                                                                                                   
32256 Bytes (32 kB) kopiert, 0,000226286 s, 143 MB/s                                                                  
Warnung: /home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.img ist kein blockorientiertes Gerät                                  
Festplatte /home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.img: Die Geometrie konnte nicht festgestellt werden                 

Festplatte /home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.img: 68 Zylinder, 255 Köpfe, 63 Sektoren/Spur                       

sfdisk: FEHLER: Sektor 0 hat keine MS-DOS-Signatur                                                                    
 /home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.img: nicht erkannte Partitiontabellentyp                                      
Alte Aufteilung:                                                                                                      
Keine Partitionen gefunden                                                                                            
Warnung: gegebene Größe (1096899) überschreitet maximal erlaubte Größe (1092357)                                      
Neue Aufteilung:                                                                                                      
Warnung: Die Partition sieht aus, als sie gemacht worden                                                              
  für C/H/S=*/73/6 (anstelle von 68/255/63).                                                                          
Für diese Auflistung nehme ich diese Geometrie an.                                                                    
Einheit = Sektoren von 512 Bytes, Zählung beginnt bei 0                                                               

Gerät  boot.   Anfang      Ende  #Sektoren Id  System                                                              
/home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.img1   *        63   1096961    1096899  83  Linux                             
                Anfang: (c,h,s) erwartet (0,10,4) gefunden (0,1,1)
                Ende: (c,h,s) erwartet (1023,72,6) gefunden (68,72,6)
/home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.img2             0         -          0   0  Leer
/home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.img3             0         -          0   0  Leer
/home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.img4             0         -          0   0  Leer
Warnung: Partition 1 reicht über das Ende der Platte hinaus
Die neue Partitionstabelle wurde erfolgreich geschrieben

Die Partitionstabelle wird erneut gelesen…
BLKRRPART: Unpassender IOCTL (I/O-Control) für das Gerät

Wenn Sie eine DOS-Partition angelegt oder geändert haben, z. B. /dev/foo7,
dann nehmen Sie dd(1), um die ersten 512 Bytes auf 0 zu setzen:
„dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/foo7 bs=512 count=1" (siehe fdisk(8)).
Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

GNU GRUB  version 0.97  (640K lower / 3072K upper memory)

[ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported.  For the first word, TAB
   lists possible command completions.  Anywhere else TAB lists the possible
   completions of a device/filename. ]
grub> device (hd0) /home/gentox/archbox/archbox-1.00-i686.img
grub> root (hd0,0)
 Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
grub> setup (hd0)
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
 Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
 Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"...  16 sectors are embedded.
succeeded
 Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
Done.

building dir:
http://root.stcim.de/arch0r/archbox.tgz

best regards :>

Last edited by arch0r (2009-06-09 19:38:09)

#25 2009-06-09 20:55:13

Svenstaro
Administrator

Try adding squashfs-tools as well.

Board footer