Re: Quick-init - Boot your arch in 10 seconds

There isn't a way..It MUST start in runlevel 3

Italian ArchLinux User
My projects on my homepage: www.obliquo.net

#28 2009-05-23 17:45:05

banshee28

blasse wrote:

It seems to work fine, but while shutting down I've got message that stopping hal failed...

Just installed the latest version of quick-init, and having hal issues.

First it worked fine but showed hal failing on reboot, but nothing wrong on bootup. Now I am not able to get hal running under x. It shows failed. It wont start or stop. I removed it from rc.conf and just tried to start manually under x, but nope still failed.

I was trying to get my alsa sound settings working and saved since I have 2 sound cards (built-in and creative). Now I cant get hal to run at all?

Any advise?

Edit: also for some reason since this update any terminal window takes a FULL 2 seconds to maximize. Minimize is quick, roll up\down is quick, and any other apps or window (firefox) maximize is perfectly normal. This is the first I have noticed this. Weird.

Last edited by banshee28 (2009-05-23 20:38:01)

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#29 2009-05-23 21:15:04

banshee28

Update: Not sure how, but I got Hal to work once in a while...

I rebooted for the 10th time and magically HAL was running and my sound settings were working. Then I did not change anything just rebooted again to see what would happen and hal failed on logout and would not start at all on reboot. Rebooted again and hal was back. So it seems like something is stopping hal from properly starting during the boot process?

I just ininstallled quick-init and no more hal errors on logoff, but still hal only works now every other boot! I reboot no hal. Reboot again, hal works. Reboot and no hal.

Not sure if its completely related to this mod so I might post in another section later....

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#30 2009-05-23 21:17:51

playingdoh

it might be because hal is already running, it is started with qinit.multi now.
check

ls /var/run/daemons

to see if its already running. after taking it out of rc.conf
not sure why it would only work every other time though. i could be wrong

#31 2009-05-23 21:37:08

banshee28

I no longer have hal or alsa listed in my rc.conf file:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng @network @netfs @crond )

but they seem to be listed in here like you said:

bash-3.2$ ls /var/run/daemons/
alsa  crond  dbus  hal    netfs  network    syslog-ng
bash-3.2$

Edit: I think hal is working fine now but this is a sound alsa issue. I can stop and start hal now no problem, just dont have any alsa settings and cant run alsamixer most of the time alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

Ok, thanks for all the help with this issue, but I dont think this problem is related to quick-init, so I dont want to dirty up this thread any more....I think its alsa related as I seen a few related posts, so back to the import issues: quick-init lol

Last edited by banshee28 (2009-05-23 22:02:06)

Arch64, AMD64, LXDE

#32 2009-05-24 03:30:39

playingdoh

i had the same problems with alsa not starting correctly, i think it has something to do with your MODULES=() part of rc.conf
if you just let it auto detect

MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"

it doesnt load right because the hardware isnt detected fully when alsa is started, you need to

hwdetect --sound

and add the modules to

MODULES=()

so that the modules are loaded before alsa starts.
i would suggest to add all modules with

hwdetect --show-modules-order

that way it balances your hard drive activity loading all modules at the start and daemons near the end. (thats when happens on my bootchart anyways)

#33 2009-05-24 09:13:09

b9anders

well, I first tried out finit-arch today and after meddling a bit with the daemons, I shared my regular arch boot from grub2 to gdm from 45s to 32s. Then I read through the entire topic and find it's been replaced by this. Tried it and booted in 46s.

sad

As always X  is the killer. Is this compatible with kernel mode setting? I find x starts a lot quicker with that activated, but haven't tried it with this OS yet.

#34 2009-05-24 14:45:24

Changaco
Website

adriano wrote:

There isn't a way..It MUST start in runlevel 3

Why ? rc.multi and {x,g,k}dm will run simultaneously whether the default level is 3 or 5.

I played with my init scripts these past few days and I think your scripts can still be improved by launching some more things in background. I'm not saying it'll do much but for example loadkeys or the second hwclock can be backgrounded. Of course if we need to make sure everything finishes before launching the next script a simple "wait" at the end of the script will do. The important thing to remember is that doing things in parallel optimizes the resources usage, Linux is built for multi-tasking so we should take advantage of it.

Last edited by Changaco (2009-05-24 15:20:35)

#35 2009-05-24 17:00:00

adriano
Website

To Changaco
In the past version of quick-init I did parallel boot and many users had problems caused by conflicts. The parallel times depends from the personal hardware...then the defaul solution it is not a parallell boot but asyncronous operation in boot process. If you want improve your boot with parallel steps you can do it, but parallels can't be included in the default version of quick-init.

EDIT:
However I did an error...I thought if initdefault is 5 inittab don't execute runlevel 3, but it is false it executes 3 also smile
Then I will change qinittab default file with X in runlevel 5 only smile

Last edited by adriano (2009-05-24 17:29:34)

Italian ArchLinux User

#36 2009-05-24 18:38:33

Changaco
Website

adriano wrote:

To Changaco
In the past version of quick-init I did parallel boot and many users had problems caused by conflicts. The parallel times depends from the personal hardware...then the defaul solution it is not a parallell boot but asyncronous operation in boot process. If you want improve your boot with parallel steps you can do it, but parallels can't be included in the default version of quick-init.

OK.

adriano wrote:

EDIT:
However I did an error...I thought if initdefault is 5 inittab don't execute runlevel 3, but it is false it executes 3 also smile
Then I will change qinittab default file with X in runlevel 5 only smile

Actually I don't think it does. wink It's just that rc.multi runs on levels 2, 3, 4 and 5 by default.

I tested quick-init and it doesn't boot, fsck fails because the partitions aren't detected yet. I had the same problem when I tried to put "udevadm" in background.

#37 2009-05-24 20:13:17

adriano
Website

probably you haven't your partition devices in /lib/udev/devices..quick-init generates it after installation

Italian ArchLinux User

#38 2009-05-24 20:56:08

Changaco
Website

adriano wrote:

probably you haven't your partition devices in /lib/udev/devices..quick-init generates it after installation

OK I know why I don't have them, it's because I didn't install fdisk, you should add it to the deps.

#39 2009-05-24 21:00:52

adriano
Website

you're right but have not fdisk is very unusual smile

Italian ArchLinux User

#40 2009-05-24 21:22:41

Changaco
Website

Wasn't even that the problem lol, I do have fdisk, it just didn't find it. The problem came from my nosudo script, thank you for indirectly helping me debug this little script of mine.

Anyway I'll try quick-init again now.

#41 2009-05-24 21:52:40

Changaco
Website

OK it boots now. The gain isn't awesome though, it is slower than my customized scripts but a little faster than the basic ones. I'll customize a little to see where I can get. smile

#42 2009-05-24 22:03:43

adriano
Website

yeaaah smile

Italian ArchLinux User

#43 2009-05-25 00:30:16

Sjet

ugkbunb wrote:

wouldn't boot on my system... hung on checking filesystems... complaining that I should run a manual check... doing that did nothing... ?

Same problem here.

:: Checking Filesystems                                                                      [BUSY]
/dev/mapper/root:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock 
is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
                                                                                             [FAIL]

The root volume is encrypted, but i'm asked for the LUKS password earlier during kernel boot and it seems to have been mounted correctly as i can just mount it manually at this point and read from/write to it.

Last edited by Sjet (2009-05-25 00:30:42)

#44 2009-05-27 08:09:00

adriano
Website

OK this error becouse I don't create /dev/mapper/root device statically. Then I will do it wink
Can you paste me output of command "ls -l /dev" and your fstab ?

For all users: from version 1.10 X starts in runlevel 5 of inittab. To autostart X read wiki page:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_boot

Last edited by adriano (2009-05-27 08:12:34)

Italian ArchLinux User

#45 2009-05-27 09:51:43

bender02

adriano wrote:

OK this error becouse I don't create /dev/mapper/root device statically. Then I will do it wink
Can you paste me output of command "ls -l /dev" and your fstab ?

Creating nodes in /dev/mapper statically is not a good idea. They should be created dynamically by the dm-mod kernel module. Also, the name (/dev/mapper/<name>) depends on the user choice (for instance mine is called differently), so you can't statically account for all the possiblities.
After being asked for a password by cryptsetup, and after unlocking a volume, that node is created automatically. Sjet even writes that after the failed check the node is there and he can access it normally. I think the problem might be that the filesystem check is run too early, before the node is 'ready'.

#46 2009-05-27 18:06:16

ADRez

Hello world!

I've tried this and it works!

Installation was fine, but when I rebooted it didn't load gdm. I then knew I had to edit the scripts, but it should advise after installing qinit.
Another issue was that when I enabled gdm to start by default, when it loaded, I couldn't use the keyboard nor the mouse! Maybe the problem was that I'm from spain (spanish keyboard) and it had to load keyboard layout before starting gdm, so I moved loadkeys code from qinit.multi to qinit.sysinit. With that change it's working ok until now

Other than that it's working great, X takes to start more than I thought but I'll try to improve it, although I think the problem is the graphic card (nvidia geforce 6600)

Thanks adriano and all the people who have helped for this project!

Edit: Ooopssssss.... now I've restarted and the same problem in gdm: keyboard and mouse not working. Don't know what's the problem, I'll try to find,but it doesn't happen always

Last edited by ADRez (2009-05-27 21:52:05)

#47 2009-06-06 08:55:58

tuxfusion

Well i'm playing with this again and i think this looks messed up :

200906061046061256x880.th.png

EDIT: I pacman -Rd consolekit   , which is dependeny of hal but screw it, it works &&  putting  X startup in rc.local worked too !

bootchartk.th.png

I was wondering why bootchart shows only 15 secs , my openbox startup is not listed for instance, this was different with finit-arc .

Regards

Last edited by tuxfusion (2009-06-06 09:29:44)

#48 2009-06-06 09:49:04

yasen

Here's a little "brute force" solution for people that don't want console-kit-daemon cluttering their system.

Save this simple C program (all it does is terminate its execution) as empty.c:

int main(){return 0;}

Compile it:

gcc empty.c -o console-kit-daemon

And overwrite console-kit-daemon with the new executable (you can make a copy of the original if you're scared you'll mess something up, but I've been running this way for months without a hitch):

cp console-kit-daemon /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon

Sorry, console-kit-daemon, we don't love you anymore, we never have.

#49 2009-06-06 10:06:02

tuxfusion

Well that's another way then just remove the consolekit package.
Very strange whatever i do bootchart won't trace after 15 secs , so i just watched conky's uptime and its the same if not 1-2 secs slower with quick-init , X takes forever to load with this, stays black very long. With original arch boot X takes 1 sec to show desktop. Just a feedback

EDIT: Did now everything mentioned at the beginning: disabled udev, raid, lvm etc. recompiled xorg-server-antidesktop ( little hassel for nvidia users ) , no hal -> 2-3 secs better but i can't stop time since bootchart a) stops writing when it is important(>15s) and b) with the adjustments now fails to load completely
I had to set those udev part active again , X booted fine but my terminals in X where all without input line maybe someone can help here.

Regards

Last edited by tuxfusion (2009-06-06 11:04:59)

#50 2009-06-09 17:28:09

FallenWizard

bootchart.png

Nice smile I will use it all the time now.

Board footer