You are not logged in.

#26 2009-09-09 15:16:39

Janarto

Re: Archmobile: Arch Linux for ARM Devices

that's great, we may have some really powerfull ARM-based systems quite soon with many core inside smile

#27 2009-09-10 16:35:20

Devastator

I'm just curious - If some device is running Android, does it mean, that it would be capable of running Linux without major problems? I am going to buy myself a new phone (the old one is nearly dead now), and I would be great if I could run Linux on it, while preserving it's capabilities.

Some applications are WYSIWYG, and some are WYSIWTF.

#28 2009-09-10 16:49:15

jordz

Devastator wrote:

I'm just curious - If some device is running Android, does it mean, that it would be capable of running Linux without major problems? I am going to buy myself a new phone (the old one is nearly dead now), and I would be great if I could run Linux on it, while preserving it's capabilities.

Android is great as it is, I own a HTC Magic, you can install an app to open a console.
But AFAIK you need to flash your phone to gain root access.

Nice project Arch on ARM!

#29 2009-09-10 18:11:53

rb2k

Really looking forward to this maturing a little. I'd love to try this on my smart q7.
It's a pretty decent piece of hardware (and only 150 euros including the shipping to Germany), but I didn't really like Mer all that much and the Ubuntu that is the official OS seem still kinda bloated sad
Here's some copypasta about the device:

System   
Main chip    Samsung ARM11 667MHz
Audio chip    Wolfson
Capacity    1GB
MicroSD Slot    2GB - 32GB support
Display   
Screen Type    7.0" - 16 Million Colors - Touch Screen
Resolution    800x480 Resolution - 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Max output    L(10mw) +R(10mw)(32Ω)
SNR and Distortion    S/N : ≥94dB / ≦-60dB
Frequency Response    20HZ~20KHZ 0dB± 2dB
Playtime   
Battery    3.7v 4500mAh built in rechargeable Li-On battery
Audio    50hrs
Video    6hrs
Interface   
USB    USB 2.0 High Speed
Headphones    3.5mm headphone output

Last edited by rb2k (2009-09-10 18:13:12)

#30 2009-09-10 19:22:18

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Devastator wrote:

android uses Linux as it's kernel.  If you mean a userland similar to what you get on Arch or Debian, then yes you can install it in a chroot.
The userland of android itself is more limited and runs in a java VM.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#31 2009-09-10 21:48:04

rb2k

it runs a dalvik vm. They just use Java sourcecode as the input but compile it to dalvik bytecode smile
(sorry, I had to say that... wink )

#32 2009-09-11 10:34:16

Devastator

Cool. Now I'll just have to convince myself that I REALLY need such expensive phone big_smile.

Some applications are WYSIWYG, and some are WYSIWTF.

#33 2009-09-13 13:39:27

rott_at

As it seems many people are interested in Android. We may provide Android, so you can run Arch as a base and Android as Userinterface. I think i don't have to mention the pros wink

Greetings, naeg

#34 2009-09-18 06:08:11

securitybreach
Website

Any Nokia N810 users so far? I have a N810 with an 8gb external card (currrently cloned for more apps)and will be willing to do some testing if possible since every other one of my machine runs archlinux (6 of them). I have read a little about the N810 on arch-mobile but without X and no wifi, it is not very useful. As soon as it is close to up and running on the N810, I will be one the first to replace the debian-based Maemo on my N810 with Archlinux.

Thanks

Last edited by securitybreach (2009-09-18 06:32:06)

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." -- H.L. Mencken
Website      Configs
Forum Admin: Bruno's All Things Linux   
securitybreach<a>archlinux.us

#35 2009-09-18 09:52:40

rott_at

securitybreach wrote:

Any Nokia N810 users so far? I have a N810 with an 8gb external card (currrently cloned for more apps)and will be willing to do some testing if possible since every other one of my machine runs archlinux (6 of them). I have read a little about the N810 on arch-mobile but without X and no wifi, it is not very useful. As soon as it is close to up and running on the N810, I will be one the first to replace the debian-based Maemo on my N810 with Archlinux.

Thanks

We really need someone who does something with the N810, since Base System nobody has done anything so far. You could be the one wink Some N810 hang around in IRC afaik, but none of them does anything atm afaik(!).

#36 2009-09-18 09:55:51

Aitch

Hi guys, I have just joined you here and it looks like all my birthdays have come at once!

rott_at wrote:

As it seems many people are interested in Android. We may provide Android, so you can run Arch as a base and Android as Userinterface. I think i don't have to mention the pros wink

I run Arch testing on my daily laptop (I can live with it breaking now and then) and have been involved in testing out Android on my Freerunner over at Koolu.  I'm on board for the ride.  Let's go.....:P

#37 2009-09-28 14:02:46

_alexmyself

there's a new snapshot since 13 sep.,
there's activity near each day,
but there's no post here! talk! talk! tell us about what you're doing! big_smile

i've see fso added to extra and if i remember i've read somewhere that it is a 'big' good thing to have done.
what does it provide? why for do you want it?
what are you actually doing?
who want what to run on his neo?
smile

thanks and good luck for your project, hopes to read soon news from you!

#38 2009-09-28 15:44:26

rott_at

_alexmyself wrote:

there's a new snapshot since 13 sep.,
there's activity near each day,
but there's no post here! talk! talk! tell us about what you're doing! big_smile

i've see fso added to extra and if i remember i've read somewhere that it is a 'big' good thing to have done.
what does it provide? why for do you want it?
what are you actually doing?
who want what to run on his neo?
smile

thanks and good luck for your project, hopes to read soon news from you!

We are rather active i guess, even though some of our past active members aren't active at the moment.

admiral0 just managed to package FSO, but it's not running yet because it has a hell of runtime-deps, and he hasn't time to test it atm and me neither...but it will get done these days.

The most of our devs are using only the Openmoko NeoFreerunner, so we need FSO to phone. See http://freesmartphone.org for more Information about FSO. Other people are invited to join our IRC with their device, as said before wink

Well, if i think about it, it's better if you join us on IRC and then you can see/ask what we are doing, and sometimes someone writes a Mail to the ML, but not that often...

I will inform all you here everytime we did some big steps.

- naeg

Last edited by rott_at (2009-09-28 15:47:02)

#39 2009-10-22 16:33:28

rott_at

I am proud to announce that Sheevaplug is supported from now on. niku joined us as a dev for sheevaplug, and others are welcome too. He already packaged a kernel, that only waits to get added to the repo, but i lost my key due to the destroying of my FS last week sad So i am waiting for it....

There is already a WikiPage(http://www.archmobile.org/trac/wiki/SheevaPlug/Install) but i am going to do something for our Wiki-Layout. I'll make a general InstallationGuide for installing on SD-Card etc, then device-depending configuration sites, and device-depending Install-On-Internal-Memory(however it's called).

We are still struggling around with FSO...(bleeding edge ftw! wink)

greetings, naeg

Last edited by rott_at (2009-10-22 17:10:23)

#40 2009-11-21 08:18:58

dmz
Website

I just want to show my appreciation for this project, it's fantastic. I've been looking at the n900 for quite some time now and I'll probably buy one since, I guess, I could run arch on it.
Keep it up guys!

Board footer