You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-12 12:39:07

r3d3ye

Kahel OS. Do IT Right.

Dear Fellow Open Source Enthusiasts and Linux Advocate cum "Passionistas":

The Advent of one of the Filipino Contributions has dawned to the IT World. Kahel OS.

At first, i wish to write "... The advent of one of the significant and relevant Filipino Contributions has dawned to the IT World. But it would only be significant if IT's goal will be attained and relevant if users may realize IT's value in the long run.

Kahel OS is not just an Operating System so to speak. IT is not just a Technology Product on a Linux and Open Source Platform added to the thousands of FREE Distros already available in the community. IT does not explicitly want to be different or to be set apart from the rest. However, among others, we simply would like Kahel OS (just like our team) to be the embodiment of our IT Values and Philosophy.

Kahel OS is based on Arch Linux. http://www.archlinux.org.

Kahel OS believes that there is no Distro War. Kahel OS would not like to attempt to break barriers. But believes that there is an Open Source Apps just for everyone: for one's taste and choice. Kahel OS does not impose; "that this one is better than that one"...Instead, IT's banner and call is "To reinforce to schools and students, organizations and individuals and advocates (organized and not) that IT is also ALL about VALUES, not just computers and operating systems". Kahel OS is Simple yet Flexible, Free yet Strictly adhering to Standards,Open yet Closed to those with a closed view, Cool and Light yet Powerful on Applications. Kahel OS is Encouraging learning and sharing. That IT will truly flourish if we complement our natural and nurtured skills and knowledge with the understanding of why one is gifted

We cannot distinguish distinctly who should use Kahel OS or who is it for yet we darn know that:
1. Kahel OS is not for the lazy and ignorant.
2. Kahel OS is not for those who do not like to learn (spare a few days) and is not a fan of innovation.
3. Kahel Os is not for those who only dares try it, may be dissatisfied but does not give his/ her comment or input on why he is dissatisfied/ dislikes it, so as IT could improve.
4. Kahel OS is not for those who prefers pirated OS because he/ she does not like to purchase one.
5. Kahel OS is not for those who can spare money for Desktop OS, but could not think of others and spare money for relevant causes on learning and education (because he/she thinks, it's not his/her job, it's the Government's.)
6. Kahel OS is not for those with a closed mind and perspective.
7. Kahel OS is not for those Filipinos who believes that a Filipino can only make it if you're not in the Philippines.
8. Kahel OS is not for those who are already happy and content with their current Desktop OS and you feel it's not worth keeping your options OPEN.

But then again, you aske me "Why should one try out Kahel OS?"

Here are 8 reasons: (i'll also try to express its benefits)

1. It is based on a Rolling Release Model - Genuine Upstream Source

Benefit. This means that you do not need to wait for months or for the next OS release to be updated with the newest applications available. (1) effortless updates of applications, and, (2) lesser time and MBs spent on getting the most recent available application and kernel releases.

2. Utilizing the Newest Linux Kernel 2.6.30.

Benefit. This means that there will be more devices/ drivers that could be supported. WIMAX is one of them (please read this separately for your appreciation). WIMAX of which is an emerging broadband wireless standard supported and included in this kernel. Fast Boot. Boot up is under 10 seconds (Environment Friendly).

3. Kahel is using all the default and suggested applications for Gnome, which makes everything tightly integrated. Default Gnome Applications for Office, Multi-Media and Web- Browsing.

Benefit. This is most likely appreciated by already Linux Users but for the layman, necessary applications are already in place upon boot up of the Kahel OS. However, you can still be able to install other Linux Applications.

4. Supports for latest NILFS2, BTRFS by default. Support for Next Generation Technologies.

Benefit.This implies that applications are provided with improved filesystem scalibility and performance.

5. Utilizing Pacman and Package Kit

Benefit. With the Pacman and Package Kit, easy installation of applications is enabled.

6. Source Code Installation-Capable.

Benefit. This simply implies that if you have favorite applications (you need not compile), all you need to do is type yourt (with the application name) on the console and voila, your application is installed and ready to use.   

7. All applications is i686 and x86-64 optimized.

Benefit. With the availability of the Technology of the New CPU's in the market, special features such as multi-threading are put to use and maximized because all applications are compiled on i686. Thus, Applications run very fast. No backward compatibility bottleneck.

8. Most of all, IT is FREE as IT is our gift to all. IT is an innovation of a dedicated and passionate team that espouses the same values and philosophy Kahel OS has. The team, 8liens.

8liens believes that IT (Information Technology) is not a world apart from our daily living, its transcendental path is towards eliminating mediocrity, harnessing skills, alleviating our economic strength as a whole while fostering nationhood as we search for our global niche.

Kahel OS does not like to sound preachy, and does want to teach without a cause, but Kahel OS is for sure here, When you need IT. Do IT right.

http://www.kahelos.org/

#2 2009-09-12 13:02:12

Pierre
Developer
Website

Re: Kahel OS. Do IT Right.

I am a little confused. What's the difference to Arch except all this marketing blah?

#3 2009-09-12 13:07:16

Arm-the-Homeless

Newest 2.6.30 kernel?

2.6.31 has been out for a few days...

#4 2009-09-12 13:44:36

Trent

r3d3ye wrote:

Kahel OS believes that there is no Distro War.

Kahel OS is blind to the obvious.

#5 2009-09-12 14:37:54

Allan
Pacman
Website

Pierre wrote:

I am a little confused. What's the difference to Arch except all this marketing blah?

Lets see...
- They use our initscripts but stripped our copyright info
- They seem to automatically install a lot of crap (server software and a GNOME desktop???)

What is not different...
- According to their install, their grub config still says Arch Linux
- Their kernel still has the ARCH suffix

Edit: Concerning.... www.projecthoneypot.org shows the IP address used to post this announcement, also is used to send some spam.

#6 2009-09-12 15:06:12

Pierre
Developer
Website

It looks like a (half) rebranded install CD. It even uses our repos.

#7 2009-09-12 15:40:13

andre.ramaciotti

It must have been so hard for them to do it...

(lambda ())

#8 2009-09-12 16:05:31

lolilolicon

Is it April 1st outta there?

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#9 2009-09-12 16:37:47

pyther
Website

Don't you have to leave copyright info in gpl licensed files?

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#10 2009-09-12 16:41:54

XFire

pyther wrote:

I'm quite sure that's not part of the license tongue It could be in there somewhere though. Has anyone actually sat and read it all? - It's really long yikes

Last edited by XFire (2009-09-12 16:42:11)

There is a difference between bleeding [edge] and haemorrhaging. - Allan

#11 2009-09-12 16:50:17

Wintervenom

Is this about to be another Borderless Linux?

#12 2009-09-12 16:55:08

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#13 2009-09-12 16:57:12

tlvb
Website

pyther wrote:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html wrote:

1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's source code as you receive it, in any medium, provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice and disclaimer of warranty; keep intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

There are other points like it dealing with modifications of stuff under the license. I only skimmed it but to me it seems pretty clear that the copyright notice may not be removed when redistributing code that is licensed under it.

Last edited by tlvb (2009-09-12 17:00:37)

I need a sorted list of all random numbers, so that I can retrieve a suitable one later with a binary search instead of having to iterate through the generation process every time.

#14 2009-09-12 17:04:27

Netsu

I can't see a single Arch mention on their site, despite it having all those links to their 'partners', despite it using Arch repos and despite it BEING ARCH.

[edit] From their site: 'Not just another distro. Kahel OS Enterprise Linux is the only and the first developed desktop and server OS on a rolling release schedule', they must have found some new meaning for the word 'developed' obviously.

Last edited by Netsu (2009-09-12 17:20:08)

My Elegant Pattern GTK theme.
My game development blog, now on a new site.

'~/.xinitrc is an Archer's DE' - moljac024

#15 2009-09-12 18:50:16

joelbryan
Website

Arm-the-Homeless wrote:

Newest 2.6.30 kernel?

2.6.31 has been out for a few days...

We do not use the Testing repository, if you want to use
2.6.31, just uncomment the testing repos in the file /etc/pacman.conf and do
pacman -Syy && pacman -Su

Allan wrote:

Lets see...
- They use our initscripts but stripped our copyright info

We do not strip your copyright information, if you truely solely believe that you own Archlinux and we cannot be based on a GPL project such as arch, you can cat into /etc/rc.sysinit, which contains the following lines.

printhl "Arch Linux\n"
printhl "${C_H2}http://www.archlinux.org"
printhl "Copyright 2002-2007 Judd Vinet"
printhl "Copyright 2007-2009 Aaron Griffin"
printhl "Distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL)"
printsep

also you can md5sums this file, along with the files in /usr/share/licenses/ and compare it with the original if your in doubt.

Allan wrote:

- They seem to automatically install a lot of crap (server software and a GNOME desktop???)

AFAIK, the only server software the we include is OpenSSH, Rsyncd, and X server. Well Xorg is also a server, or I must be wrong that all desktop distro should not contain Xf86 server.

Allan wrote:

What is not different...
- According to their install, their grub config still says Arch Linux
- Their kernel still has the ARCH suffix

I think you answer your own argument.

Allan wrote:

Edit: Concerning.... www.projecthoneypot.org shows the IP address used to post this announcement, also is used to send some spam.

Do whatever you like, but we are a decent VoIP, Linux and Open Source company striving to help the Filipinos to adopt open source software atleast on our own small ways.

Pierre wrote:

Well be my guess, AFAIK, ArchLinux is bound to the rules of GPL, are you saying that ArchLinux is a commercial linux distribution.

Netsu wrote:

I can't see a single Arch mention on their site, despite it having all those links to their 'partners', despite it using Arch repos and despite it BEING ARCH.

[edit] From their site: 'Not just another distro. Kahel OS Enterprise Linux is the only and the first developed desktop and server OS on a rolling release schedule', they must have found some new meaning for the word 'developed' obviously.

Kahel OS is simply GNOME + ArchLinux, We package it, make it easier for new users to use a GNOME-based i686 Linux distro that is based on rolling-release and we name it Kahel OS. see the file LICENSE and COPYING.

I think someone need to change the line "an open, friendly, and helpful community." in the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/His … Arch_Linux, we must have been misguided.

'The Smiths' simply rock!

#16 2009-09-12 18:51:01

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Wintervenom wrote:

exactly my thoughts lol

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#17 2009-09-12 19:03:51

tcoffeep

lol. just lol.

=============== Read An Essay ===============
   Distro : Funtoo Linux || Kernel : ckernel-2.6.30-gentoo-r5
Processor : Athlon 64 X2 4400+ || RAM : 2GB || HD : 300GB
========================================

#18 2009-09-12 19:09:25

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

r3d3ye wrote:

1. Kahel OS is not for the lazy and ignorant.

What if I'm lazy, but not ignorant? Do I qualify?

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#19 2009-09-12 19:20:00

wankel
Website

joelbryan wrote:

I think someone need to change the line "an open, friendly, and helpful community." in the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/His … Arch_Linux, we must have been misguided.

I agree with you on this one. There are quite a few people here that make these forums rather hostile and discourage many of us from posting, as you can clearly see in this thread.

#20 2009-09-12 19:28:03

joelbryan
Website

Dieter@be wrote:
Wintervenom wrote:

exactly my thoughts lol

Borderless Linux is Borderless Linux, while Kahel OS is Kahel OS--is a ready to use Linux distro based on Arch Linux + GNOME.

'The Smiths' simply rock!

#21 2009-09-12 19:32:21

Pierre
Developer
Website

joelbryan wrote:
Pierre wrote:

Well be my guess, AFAIK, ArchLinux is bound to the rules of GPL, are you saying that ArchLinux is a commercial linux distribution.

I have no idea what you mean. And I never said you are violating any license. Afaik none of our own code has the advertising clause. But only parts of what we call Arch is GPL.

However, you shouldn't be surprised that people are making fun of your project. You came here with a newly created account and just copy&paste a meaningless marketing posting. This all looks quite strange and it just seems you have just remastered the install CD than creating a complete distro.

So asking what the difference between Arch and your distro is, is of course a valid question. So please enlighten us.

joelbryan wrote:

Kahel OS is simply GNOME + ArchLinux, We package it, make it easier for new users to use a GNOME-based i686 Linux distro that is based on rolling-release and we name it Kahel OS.

Do you have a repo to show us your changes? I mean that should be the point about posting this thread here: sharing what you have changed to achieve different goals than Arch.

PS: If we don't get real answers here I just count this thread as spam and will close it.

#22 2009-09-12 19:34:28

bender02

joelbryan wrote:

Kahel OS is simply GNOME + ArchLinux, We package it, make it easier for new users to use a GNOME-based i686 Linux distro that is based on rolling-release and we name it Kahel OS. see the file LICENSE and COPYING.

Why don't you say this instead of the stuff you write in the first post? You'd get much less hostile responses. The first post looks like "heya we pretend that we're this great new distribution that is 'based on arch'" (which would imply that you did some considerable changes to the arch base), but then it turns out that it's actually just packaged arch - so don't act surprised when people conclude - ah, just another ripoff.

#23 2009-09-12 19:35:18

Netsu

joelbryan wrote:

Kahel OS is [...] a ready to use Linux distro based on Arch Linux + GNOME.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem fair not to mention this a single time on the website, and even claiming that it's 'the first rolling release distribution' even though it's not only Arch based but also Arch dependent (using it's repositories).

My Elegant Pattern GTK theme.
My game development blog, now on a new site.

'~/.xinitrc is an Archer's DE' - moljac024

#24 2009-09-12 19:45:52

Runiq

I think it's a good thing to spread Open Source, but if you do, please give Arch proper credit, since you even ssem to use the Arch servers' bandwidth.

Also, don't lie. Kahel is not the first rolling release distro. It's not even the "first developed desktop and server OS on a rolling release schedule". (Well, maybe it is – for a given value of "developed").

And, finally: The Arch forums aren't exactly the best place if you want to bring Open Source to users who aren't yet experienced with it.

#25 2009-09-12 19:50:03

wonder
Developer
Website

basically what are the benefits of using that over archlinux?

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Board footer