You are not logged in.

#51 2009-10-16 15:06:11

overlord_manny

Re: Where is the GDM setup gone?

I dislike the way the new gmd works. I rolled back my gdm to ver 2.20.10-2 (the previous one from the repo?) and all is happy again. And no issues at all from it so far. Maybe when i can configure the new GTK one easier I'll try it again.

#52 2009-10-16 15:27:47

knedlyk
Website

I'm sure new gdm is buggy. It is hard to configure gdm, but it is possible and in the most of cases anybody can do this. But what about users who are not using Gnome but using gdm as a display manager? New gdm completely ignore hal policies, moreover, if you choose session different than Gnome,  you cannot use configurations for keyboard layouts, synaptics and so on, because it configured by hal policies. Well, I understand, it can be solved by running gnome-settings-manager, but what to do if I don't want to use gnome libraries and other Gnome staff at all? Why gdm must affect X session????

#53 2009-10-16 16:15:19

Isengrin

Good thing I found gdm-old in AUR. Since I just use it as login manager, no GNOME, this is enough for me. smile

Last edited by Isengrin (2009-10-16 20:11:33)

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern."
—Moiraine Damodred

#54 2009-10-16 16:19:26

alex_anthony

The GDM devs have said they don't have the time/willing to build the gui, but would be happy to include it if someone else did it. The old one could possibly be changed to work with the new version, the config file hasn't changed much.

#55 2009-10-16 18:29:39

knedlyk
Website

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=638161 - good news, GDM patch released: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16697

Last edited by knedlyk (2009-10-16 18:34:09)

#56 2009-10-16 19:10:56

zodmaner

So basically now all of the current GDM themes are useless with the new version?

#57 2009-10-16 21:36:04

knedlyk
Website

zodmaner wrote:

So basically now all of the current GDM themes are useless with the new version?

I tried some of the old gdm themes and got error message.

#58 2009-10-16 21:56:20

mrunion
Website

Off-Topic, but:

Well, the way I see it is:

It's not my software, nor my decision when they release. If I want to use it, I can. I can then either stop using if I don't like it, code something to fix it, code something I like, or find something else.

Gnome is what it is -- so id KDE, Xfce, etc. Contribute or wait are the only choices anyone can make.

Now, if you're paying someone to do things for you, then you have more control. But if you're using it for free, you take the good with the bad like the rest of us.

Last edited by mrunion (2009-10-16 21:56:46)

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#59 2009-10-16 22:42:47

zmbmartin

I actually like the new GDM it follows the same gtk theme. wallpaper, and fonts as my desktop.

#60 2009-10-17 09:52:34

JackH79
Website

After having bumped my head against my monitor screen a couple of times and eventually realising that that doesn't help, I though I just have to vent my annoyance somewhere. So, here it goes:

Although I somewhat (a little bit wink )agree with mrunion, the new login layout is definitely a step in the wrong direction. Now, I can live with the fact that I can't use my custom made login screen anymore (which I will miss badly though). I can even see that it kind of makes sense to use gtk themes for the gdm. The argument about safety ... uhm, well maybe. But what I cannot understand is:

[rantmodeon]
Why the hell does the new login screen have to broadcast the name of my computer? I don't want that! Where can I turn it off?
Why do I get this stupid computer image on top of it? I don't want that! Where can I turn it off?

And most importantly:
Why in god's name do I have to click on "Log in" when I want to log in without the face browser????? I mean, that's kind of what the gdm is for, isn't it?

I'm just waiting for the day when I get a little voice out of the dashboard in my car that asks me "Do you really want to start the engine?" everytime I turn the key and then waits for me to push another button to make sure that I'm really really really sure that I know what I'm doing!
[rantmodeoff]

All right. Sorry for that. Thanks for listening anyway.

Cheers
Jack

#61 2009-10-17 14:31:39

perost

If I run "gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties" I only get an error saying:

Failed to run dbus-launch 'gnome-appearance-properties' as user gdm.
Failed to exec new process: File or directory does not exist

So at the moment I can't configure GDM at all. This is like when they removed the GUI for configuring the Gnome menu all over again. Sure, in time someone will make a new GUI, but until then I can't configure GDM like I want it. I've switched to slim instead, which is smaller, faster and easier to configure than GDM.

#62 2009-10-17 16:12:45

zodmaner

perost wrote:

If I run "gksudo -u gdm dbus-launch gnome-appearance-properties" I only get an error saying:

So at the moment I can't configure GDM at all. This is like when they removed the GUI for configuring the Gnome menu all over again. Sure, in time someone will make a new GUI, but until then I can't configure GDM like I want it. I've switched to slim instead, which is smaller, faster and easier to configure than GDM.

If you only have GDM installed, then you don't have the required gnome-appearance-properties program. You need to install gnome-control-center package which contained the program you need in order for the command above to work properly.

But then again if you didn't use GNOME and only use GDM as a login manager, then switching to SLiM is a better idea.

#63 2009-10-17 22:36:31

nema.arpit

Does anyone use accesibility tools like Simulate Secondary Click??
I am trying to enable it,but something ( I think the GDM user) keeps popping up this irritating dialog :

Assistive Technology Support is not Enabled
Mousetweaks requires assistive technologies to be enabled in your session.

To enable support for assistive technologies and restart your session, press "Enable and Log Out"

at every restart. I tried enabling mousetweaks as gdm as well as root user,but to no avail

Last edited by nema.arpit (2009-10-18 09:02:15)

#64 2009-10-18 09:56:46

perost

zodmaner wrote:
perost wrote:

If you only have GDM installed, then you don't have the required gnome-appearance-properties program. You need to install gnome-control-center package which contained the program you need in order for the command above to work properly.

But then again if you didn't use GNOME and only use GDM as a login manager, then switching to SLiM is a better idea.

I do however use gnome, and I do have the gnome-appearance-properties program installed. I even tried to specify the full path to gnome-appearance-properties, but that didn't work either.

#65 2009-10-18 11:10:00

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

overlord_manny wrote:

I dislike the way the new gmd works. I rolled back my gdm to ver 2.20.10-2 (the previous one from the repo?) and all is happy again. And no issues at all from it so far. Maybe when i can configure the new GTK one easier I'll try it again.

GREAT IDEA!  I shared it in this thread as well as on the Gnome 2.28 wiki article.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#66 2009-11-18 11:36:28

killajoe
Website

roll
i know we all hate ubuntu but they seem to got a minimal gdm-setup-gui inside there gdm 2.28 package...

may there is a way to build a arch package from this?

Cancel me not -- for what then shall remain?
Abscissas, some mantissas, modules, modes, A root or two, a torus and a node:
The inverse of my verse, a null domain.
-- Stanislaw Lem, The Cyberiad

#67 2009-11-18 18:01:57

ammon

killajoe wrote:

roll
i know we all hate ubuntu but they seem to got a minimal gdm-setup-gui inside there gdm 2.28 package...

may there is a way to build a arch package from this?

Yeah, that would be nice.

#68 2009-11-18 19:01:31

killajoe
Website

so i whould try that but i do not know how to build packages from ubuntu sources...

Cancel me not -- for what then shall remain?
Abscissas, some mantissas, modules, modes, A root or two, a torus and a node:
The inverse of my verse, a null domain.
-- Stanislaw Lem, The Cyberiad

Board footer