You are not logged in.

#26 2009-11-12 15:26:39

zowki
Website

Re: My mother now uses Arch Linux

sHyLoCk wrote:

My Mum used ubuntu for a while and now uses openSUSE. Downloading 11.2 right now. I started liking it as well, kde integration is brilliant there. I triple boot it with arch and xp. Dropped karmic after a day due to well...you all know. tongue

OpenSUSE was my first Linux distro. I havent used it since 9.x. I didnt want to look back at it anymore since it used KDE 4.x which runs too slow on my computer.

How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

#27 2009-11-12 15:28:56

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

zowki wrote:
B wrote:
zowki wrote:

I want my mom to run arch linux but my concern is with updating. Do you tell your mom to pacman -Syu every so often or do you just never update?

You just do it yourself. SSH, remember?

Its hard enough to maintain updates for my own computer let alone someone else's, I'll give it a shot and see how it goes...

To the contrary I'd say. The first box you update serves as a testing environment for the other ones. If something breaks you'll pay attention to it on the next box you update wink.

Also, if you read the frontpage news and keep an eye on your updates, do them regularly and merge your .pacnew files etc., there shouldn't be much trouble.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#28 2009-11-12 20:40:36

madeye
Website

Both my parents run Arch on their computers.
I do the updating for them and install programs for them too.
They don't want to do it themselves and that's fine with me. That way I have control over what is done to the computers, and there are no surprises.
Actually they call less now with problems than when they were running windows smile

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

#29 2009-11-13 01:26:28

eldalion

I used to administer a couple of boxes with SSH. However, most home routers are crap and sooner or later it would reassign the boxes to a new local IP and NAT would fail. A workaround is a quick bash alias to login automatically to another box and some nice reverse SSH magic, so the end user only has to open up a terminal amd type remotesupport without prior knowledge of port forwarding.

#30 2009-11-13 02:50:49

Lexion

My dad uses ubuntu, but he's thinking about arch and i'm encouraging him.  Personally wouldn't care about my girlfriend/wife's OS, just as long as she can follow my philosophical arguments that I have with my friends (and doesn't mind my 5-8hr/day computer usage).

urxvtc / wmii / zsh / configs / onebluecat.net
Arch will not hold your hand

#31 2009-11-13 05:33:00

Gen2ly
Website

A while ago I read of a guy that installed Ubuntu on his mom's computer without telling her about it.  Didn't got over too well with the community.  Are you that guy?

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#32 2009-11-13 08:49:20

sweetandy
Website

Gen2ly wrote:

A while ago I read of a guy that installed Ubuntu on his mom's computer without telling her about it.  Didn't got over too well with the community.  Are you that guy?

Naw. Not me. XP stopped letting her connect to... anything... so I installed Ubuntu for a while and she ended up liking it. Don't think the community reacted much to a satisfied user.

My MOM uses Arch Linux.

"Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?"

#33 2009-11-14 11:24:23

b9anders

sweetandy wrote:
chilebiker wrote:

We're an Arch-only family here as well! All our computers run Arch: Openbox for me, KDE for wife and kid, IceWM for our Internet station.

This makes me smile so much. I know that when I get older and get married, I'm going to be running a Linux house. It may seem horrible of me, but I couldn't marry a Windows user. I'd compromise with OS X, probably, if that's what my wife really prefers. It's that important to me. This may be bad.

Dude, that is internet meme worthy.

#34 2009-11-14 11:32:32

b9anders

Personally, I'd just install Debian if I were to do this for a largely computer illiterate family member. Very little maintenance necessary, the upgrade path is very reliable and with the standards set by XP, I don't think they'd be all that bothered about not running the very latest and greatest anyway.

#35 2009-11-14 21:38:46

Cosmin

my kids computer runs arch (2 boys 2 and 5 years old) and my kids enjoy it wink

#36 2009-11-14 22:33:29

sweetandy
Website

b9anders wrote:
sweetandy wrote:
chilebiker wrote:

We're an Arch-only family here as well! All our computers run Arch: Openbox for me, KDE for wife and kid, IceWM for our Internet station.

This makes me smile so much. I know that when I get older and get married, I'm going to be running a Linux house. It may seem horrible of me, but I couldn't marry a Windows user. I'd compromise with OS X, probably, if that's what my wife really prefers. It's that important to me. This may be bad.

Dude, that is internet meme worthy.

Huh? Which part is meme-worthy?

My MOM uses Arch Linux.

"Have you tried turning it off and turning it on again?"

#37 2009-11-21 22:47:58

ctarwater

zowki wrote:

I want my mom to run arch linux but my concern is with updating. Do you tell your mom to pacman -Syu every so often or do you just never update?

Nope.  I add an "Update" option to the openbox menu that synchs then updates.

#38 2009-11-21 23:43:59

N30N

FYI, there has already been a similar tread.

PS. My mother has moved to KDE since then. wink

#39 2009-11-22 01:19:38

sHyLoCk

Cosmin wrote:

my kids computer runs arch (2 boys 2 and 5 years old) and my kids enjoy it wink

That reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja1qVUQJLgY

I wish I had a similar luck when I was young, but unfortunately I didn't. sad

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#40 2009-11-22 01:21:25

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

ctarwater wrote:
zowki wrote:

Nope.  I add an "Update" option to the openbox menu that synchs then updates.

And you allow your mom to run the updates? tongue

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#41 2009-11-25 17:41:50

mivo

There is no way I could get my mother to use Linux. She's in her 60s and even though she's been working with computers at her office for at least fifteen years, she basically only knows how to use a browser, Lotus Notes and some MS Office components, and that's it. smile She doesn't live close to me, though, so that would be part of the issue. But just choosing an AV program for her XP installation required effort, because Avira stopped auto-updating and she was lost. Not so easy to fix this per phone with someone who is uncomfortable with even running dxdiag in the shell. Not to mention my XP was in English and hers in German. I ended up having her uninstall it and go with MS Security Essentials, which seemed to be extremely low maintenance.

#42 2009-11-26 19:55:02

Meskarune
Website

ubuntu and its derivatives used to be better. I think they've added in too much beta software and messed it up. I just did a mint install on my laptop, thinking I would have a quickly setup and working computer to just take notes in class. But no. I had to fix a ton of things to get it working. On a happier note, I'm using the Fluxbox CE and just installed rox-filer to handle wallpapers and icons. Its much improved and I've fallen in love with it all over again. I really like that you can tell it EXACTLY what to do with each file.

But yeah, I think I might scrap the mint install and do arch with fluxbox + rox

Homepage  | Arch Linux Women | Arch Linux Classroom
Acer Aspire E5-575G-53VG:
Intel Dual-Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz; Skylake rev3 | 8GB DDR4 ram | Intel HD Graphics 520 + NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac | Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Board footer